Triple start Tap and Die set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Closed

See Below I have started a feeler for order on a possible group buy.
available set has been sold.
I have one set left over from the last group buy
It never got paid for and I have not had the person come back to claim it. So I am offering it for sale at the group buy price of
$209.69 this includes all postage and pay pal fees.
this is the M12.0x0.8Px2.4L triple start tap and Die.

There is only one available.
Thanks

Last edited:

jbpaul

I'll take it. I'll PayPal after I get back from dinner out tonight. Please send your info so I am sure to get it right.

Thanks,

Daniel

for anyone that is interested in getting a set. please post on this thread. if we can get another dozen or so it is worth running another buy for them.

this is the price break down for the last buy.
PRICES:
M12.0x0.8Px2.4L triple start taps as described above:
3-5 pc $197.00 each
6-11 pc $151.00 each
12-23 pc $131.00 each
24-49 pc $116.00 each

M12.0x0.8Px2.4L triple start dies as described above:
3-5 pc $104.00 each
6-11 pc $ 72.00 each
12-23 pc $ 67.00 each
24-49 pc $ 61.00 each

amosfella

Could you post a few fotos?? I think I'm in..... :D
After fotos I woudl know for sure. Thanks daniel. Looks like I missed that set by a few minutes. What would shipping to Canada cost??
Could someone start a group buy for the colt 5 star drill bits too??

Daniel

If anyone can take a photo of there set I would appreciate it. the last set I had is already in an envelope.
Just to help you out with a visual. they look just like any other tap and die you would buy at Home Depot. Except the Die is round not hex shaped. what is different about these are the threads that they cut.
I suspect you will need a dies handle that will hold a round die but a few bucks for a holder is nuttin compared to what you have to pay for the die itself. sheesh this game can get expensive.

So far my count shows 4 interested participants. we need 8 more to reach the price above. I don't limit my buys to members of this group. I just do not spend time spreading the word beyond this group much. So feel free to spread the word. non memebers can contact me by e-mail at daniel(at)yourdonspens.com
replace at with @ thank you.
1/3 of what we ned in a day. I think this one might have a chance. that suprises me a bit as these are not what I consider a huge demand thing.
Also if this woudl work better for anyone waiting for your bonus from uncle sam but you need time. let me know. if there is enough need to wait. I can change the plan as needed. so do not be shy about asking for what you need or want.

Last edited:

Daniel

Nathan, I have priority flat rate to Canada as $11.61. I am pretty sure that price includes all the extra pay pal expensis and such as well. any other part of the world it is $13.74. Looks like USPS tightened up the gap in priority mail charges to me.

amosfella

I was just wondering what all was included in the kit, and what sizes. I'm in though.
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen a quad start tap and die set??

Daniel

everyone interested in a buy might want to mention this on the other forums. this thread started as a sale of one set. and I am pretty sure a lot of people never read it down far enough to realize I am now tacking requests.
I can start another thread to help clear up any confusion. or just get this one going. I am sure Curtis would appreciate me getting as much bang out of one thread as possible.

Daniel

Mark, the first of march would be no problem. I'm waiting for a couple more to show interest before I make an official group buy out of this. It seems to be a bit slow on all fronts right now. I guess the bash is stealing my audience or something. That's ok though. those bash organizers are only sprinters they can't keep up in the long distance game. they will wear out in a few days and go back to there corner to rest up for the next eleven months.

Daniel

Well folks not a peep on this one for a while now. I will give it more time for demand to get worked up and try again at another time. Sorry.

Daniel

nothing like closing a buy to cause sales to go up. lol
Truthfully it does seem to work that way. that one takes us up to 5. we need 7 more to hit that $200 per set price.

me2cyclops

would it change the price or increase interest if we bought a different size? maybe closer to jr gent size cap thread?

Borg_B_Borg

I am interested in this group buy if it ever comes into being. I missed the first group buy. Please keep me posted since I'm not active on this board and may not know when the group buy gains traction.

Steve

Daniel

I have no idea really what a different tap size would do to the price. I do know that getting these made was a huge pain. Keep in mind they are basically custom made. I have spent the last couple of months seeing if I could find another source for them. No luck. It is pretty hard to get people to even understand what it is you want.

If I am counting right this list now shows 8 people, assuming nobody has fallen on hard times. the last buy was a real roller coaster of people getting in and out. But at this time I think we are within 4 people of making this one work. but we can't afford to loose one person.

me2cyclops

I have put in RFQ's at a couple places.
the sets made before what was the class of fit , cutting depth for the tap , and it was bottoming correct?

Borg_B_Borg

I think it's workable as it is. The price difference between 8 and 12 sets is only $25 per person. I personally would not be overly upset over paying $25 more.

Steve

If I am counting right this list now shows 8 people, assuming nobody has fallen on hard times. the last buy was a real roller coaster of people getting in and out. But at this time I think we are within 4 people of making this one work. but we can't afford to loose one person.

Daniel

I am waiting for the pen mills to arrive. let me get past that and I will start the leg work on this. I have to contact the supplier end verify that the quote is still in the ball park etc.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I have put in RFQ's at a couple places.
the sets made before what was the class of fit , cutting depth for the tap , and it was bottoming correct?
Was not bottoming - different companies call it by different names, but these were called plug type, which is between starting and bottoming.

me2cyclops

with the materials we are cutting do you think bottoming would be a problem? I have started threads in AL brass and copper with bottoming taps before without problem and they are easier to cut precise depth of usable threads

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
with the materials we are cutting do you think bottoming would be a problem? I have started threads in AL brass and copper with bottoming taps before without problem and they are easier to cut precise depth of usable threads
When we first tried these, it really was a guess and too expensive to try both. The plug style was a little of a compromise, but thought it would be easier to start and easier to keep straight. Of all the reported issues with the sets, which are mostly around cracking some blanks, no one has even mentioned the plug style being an issue. If it were me, I would not change something that works.

A good experiment if someone wants to take it on would be to get some lower cost single start bottom and plug taps and see which works best. To me, the only down side of the plug style tap would be that you may need to cut a few more threads that are not used, but these are hidden unless you are making a transparent cap. A little insurance for keeping it straight would be more important for me.

Borg_B_Borg

Part of the problem with generating enough interest to get decent price breaks is getting the word out about these group buys. How can it be done without breaking the forum rules? As for myself, I only stumbled upon this thread.

Steve

Daniel

The way I understand it, Bruce or someone actually had to send a sample of the tap and die they wanted made to the supplier in order for them to get this buy going in the first place. I will ask them about other sizes but I would suspect they can be made in any size. PM me if you would like the contact info for the supplier because a one off order for a different size tap is going to have the full price attached to it. Might as well just order it directly.
As for making a buy more visible. I don't think it breaks any rules for members to mention a buy elsewhere on the forums. it is against the rules for me to go advertise it in other threads though. I personally hear far more comments of people being upset about missing a buy because they did not see it than I hear people complaining that there are to many ads etc. But those complaints tend to be via e-mail and pm's. Admin cannot be expected to respond to a problem they never hear about.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Actually you can order any size or type you want. In the original buy, I did send a section from an El Grande to be matched which is how we got the spec. The intent at that time was to be able to use kit parts in combination with threaded parts. Most have not done this, but with the sets purchased it is possible and has been done. If you don't want to use any kit parts, the size, thread count and number of starts can be what ever you want. You just need a group willing to use the same specs to get the price in a reasonable range. I would be up for a set of smaller size, probably in the 11mm range and would'nt care if it was triple or quadruple start. Doubt there would be much interest in something smaller, but you don't know if you don't ask.

me2cyclops

quote from tapco USA

Our P/N 26265

M12-.8 3LD D5 4 Flute Bottoming Tap
2.4L HSG TAP

(1) qty. $152.90 each
(2) qty. $117.15 each
(3-5) qty. $87.89 each
(6) qty. $65.67 each

Delivery: 6 workdays to manufacture

Our P/N 26266A

DM12-.8 3LD HS 1"OD Round Die

(1) qty. $120.40 each
(2) qty. $92.40 each
(3-5) qty. $68.60 each
(6) qty. $50.40 each

*There will also be a tooling charge of $60.00.

Delivery: 14-16 workdays to manufacture

davinci27

These numbers seem a bit lower than the original buy. I would be in if we were closer to the $100 mark than the $200. Looks like the price break stops at 6 is that correct, or do you think a buy of say 10-12 would push the price lower?

I haven't tried cutting any threads yet, and the $200 price tag is what's really been keeping me from giving it a shot.

Ben

me2cyclops

I don't know if there are further discounts but at 6 each that puts us at $126.07 + postage not bad.
I just purchased a set from scubaman but I might buy a 2nd for backup

Borg_B_Borg

I thought we decided to go with the intermediate plug type instead of bottoming due to the former's ease of starting and ease of keeping the hole straight.

Steve

quote from tapco USA

Our P/N 26265

M12-.8 3LD D5 4 Flute Bottoming Tap
2.4L HSG TAP

(1) qty. $152.90 each
(2) qty. $117.15 each
(3-5) qty. $87.89 each
(6) qty. $65.67 each

Delivery: 6 workdays to manufacture

Our P/N 26266A

DM12-.8 3LD HS 1"OD Round Die

(1) qty. $120.40 each
(2) qty. $92.40 each
(3-5) qty. $68.60 each
(6) qty. $50.40 each

*There will also be a tooling charge of $60.00.

Delivery: 14-16 workdays to manufacture

me2cyclops

that was a quote I got before asking about bottoming or plug it isn't from the original supplier.
I'm not in charge just shopping around, waiting on a couple more quotes to come in .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom