Triple Start Tap & Die Group Buy 2017

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

darrin1200

Why is there such a mad rush for response. The instructions indicate that it does not close until the 20th. Personally, I am trying to work out If I can buy a couple of extra sets.

More4dan

I think folks are really excited about the purchase and are nervous about it actually happening. Patience is a virtue, I'll keep reminding myself till the 20th.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

stuckinohio

I thought it closes on the 10th so he can figure out prices. The moon by is due by the 20th. But of course I could be wrong!

eharri446

As has been stated, the prices of the taps and dies are dependent on how many of each that we order. The original research showed the anticipated prices for each item and those were the prices that were on the spreadsheet. However, until the final count is in, the current prices for some of the items are no where near those from the research.

I will place the order for those prices if that is what the group wants, however, it is all of our best interest that the prices be as low as possible.

Once I have determined the final prices I will update this post and we can, as a group, decide to go forward or cancel the buy.

GregMuller

placing order

Would like to order m14 plug tap and m14 die. No add insurance. Will pay friends and family. What email address do i send the spread sheet to.

GSteer

Hey Elwin,

Spreadsheet completed and emailed over to you. As per the instructions I'm posting here with this info too:

Insure for retail value.

Cheers, Greg Steer.

Hello everybody

I was directed here from the facebook page , maybe i can tag along and help the numbers some .
Ive been told i need
1-m12x.8 plug
1-m12x.8 die
1-jowo 5
1-Jowo 6

eharri446

Only three days to go to get your order in. Out of 49 members who indicated that they wanted to participate, only 31 have sent in their spreadsheets.

Here is where we are at price wise at the current time:

View in Gallery

chet0213

I have emailed my spreadsheet to get the 11, 12, 13mm plug taps, dies, and a Bock #5 plug tap. And yes to the insurance.

eharri446

napagibb,

It is correct as of this time. That is why I am trying to get everyone to submit the spreadsheets so that I can post a final price that will reflect the original research price.

After it is said and done, if the prices that we come up with are not acceptable, then we can always cancel the group buy. However, since I know that you can order some of these from:

http://www.beaufortink.co.uk/3leadtapsanddies.html

Here is the cost for a plug tap and die:

M11X.8 - 204.43
M12X.8 - 217.41
M14X.8 - 256.35

We are currently at the cost:

M11X.8 - 107.10
M12X.8 - 111.20
M13X.8 - 110.40
M14X.8 - 151.50

Even if we purchase at the current cost we would be saving:

M11X.8 - 204.43 - 107.10 = 97.33
M12X.8 - 217.41 - 111.20 = 106.21
M14X.8 - 256.35 - 151.50 = 104.85

So no matter what happens we can still save significant money by going forward. The more members who order, the lower the costs will become.

SnazzyPenz

Inlude me in this

Thanks for putting this together. I've been looking to get some trip starts for a while now. Please include me in this buy.

Sprung

Elwin
Is the price for the M14x.8 plug tap correct?
Thanks

I have the same question, referring back to the original price listing, where it lists for the 14mm plug: 12-23 pc $55.00 each. While the recent list posted says $83.25.

Same thing for the 12mm plug: 24 pc ++ $45.00 each. While the recent list you posted says $49.20.

Same for the respective die prices - prices shifted by one quantity level pricing. (Didn't look beyond the M14 and M12 plug tap and die prices for comparison.)

duncsuss

I have the same question, referring back to the original price listing, where it lists for the 14mm plug: 12-23 pc $55.00 each. While the recent list posted says $83.25.

Matt, that's because the original you linked to is based on the people who said they were interested during the research phase.

The current price is based on the people who have actually filled out the spreadsheet and emailed it to Elwin (as in actually committing to the order.)

Sprung

Matt, that's because the original you linked to is based on the people who said they were interested during the research phase.

The current price is based on the people who have actually filled out the spreadsheet and emailed it to Elwin (as in actually committing to the order.)

Ahh, but there are 16 people, according to the image a few posts up, who have committed to buying a 14mm plug tap, which would put it in the 12 to 23 piece range, with a price given of $55/piece for the 12 to 23 piece price range. The $83.25 currently listed alongside the quantity of 16 committed is the 6 to 11 piece price range. :)

eharri446

I owe everyone an apology. In hurrying to get the latest pricing updated, I did not change the quantities from my base chart.

Here are the latest pricing's after several members have turned in their spreadsheets:

View in Gallery

As you can see, I have updated the quantities on all of the items, and the pricing's where they changed, for example the M14X.8 tap went from 83.25 to 55, this was caused by one member ordering that tap. There was a corresponding change to the M14X.8 die dropping to the next lower price.

It is hoped that as more members turn in their spreadsheets, the prices will continue to drop closer to what was in the research prices.

I realize that some may want to drop the bottoming taps that they ordered, however, please wait until the end and then we can adjust what we want to include on the order as a group.

Once, again thank you for your participation, and for helping me by catching any mistakes before the become major issues.

AS many have already gathered, this is my first time running a group buy, and there is a fairly steep learning curve in doing one, but with everyone's help, we will have a successful buy. Then we will have to have a contest to see who can make the snazziest kit less pen.

drise

Elwin

I am in for a m14 plug tap and die, and an m12 plug tap and die. Insure for retail. Spreadsheet will be sent in a minute.

Thanks for doing this group buy

Dave

mrobertson

Thanks for organizing this!

I'm interested in purchasing 1 of each:

M12 X .08 Plug Tap
M12 X .08 Bottoming Tap
M11 X .08 Plug Tap
M11 X .08 Bottoming Tap
M12 X .08 Die
M11 X .08 Die
Jowo #5 Plug Tap
Jowo #5 Bottoming Tap
Jowo #6 Plug Tap
Jowo #6 Bottoming Tap

I'm interested in purchasing up $500 in insurance.

Thanks
Ray

eharri446

Tom,

Do you want the plug or the bottoming taps. I am assuming that you want the Bock # and #6 and the JOWO #5. I just do not know which type of tap.

RobS

Getting down to the wire, who has not turned in there form to Elwin?

Thank you Elwin for the hard work and due diligence!!!!

Keep turning
RobS

eharri446

The current quantities for the various bottoming taps are:

M14 - 7, M13 - 6, M11 - 8, Bock #5 - 5 #6 - 6, Jowo #5 - 7 #6 - 9.

If we get to 12 of the M14, M13, & M11 then we will be at the next to the last price point.

If we get to 10 on the nib taps, then we will be at the lowest price point.

Everything else is at the next to the last price point currently, the M12 plug and die need 2 more to be order to get the lowest price point.

Grampy122

Group Buy

I would like five (5) taps. .
I would like the following:
1 M13.0 x 0.8 triple start tap Plug.
1 M7.9 x 0.6 single start tap Plug
1 M7.9 x 0.6 single start tap Bottom
1 M6.4 x 0.6 single start tap Plug
1 M6.4 x 0.6 single start tap Bottom

Thank you for doing the Group Buy
Gordie

Skeleton2014

I know there have been some comments about canceling some of the bottoming taps due to low interest. Elwin, would you PM me before that happens. I have a couple of proposals to help the bottoming tap numbers improve. I realized that if we DON'T get bottoming taps then we will be limiting further what we can do with our "kitless" tools. For example, it was mentioned anyone wanting to turn a "demonstrator" would want the bottoming taps to make it look right.
I've withheld making comments with regard to this group buy. The last successful GB for taps/dies was Feb 2016. I think there were a couple of interests in group buys but, they fell through and certainly weren't as extensive as this GB. I predict it'll be a couple of years before another one. I'd like to encourage those who responded to the research posts, to step up to the plate now and get your order in. Similarly, to anyone contemplating going kitless, it may be a couple of years before another group buy of this size takes place. So, if you are on the fence, I would encourage you folks to order as much as you can possibly afford. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Jeff

The current quantities for the various bottoming taps are:

M14 - 7, M13 - 6, M11 - 8, Bock #5 - 5 #6 - 6, Jowo #5 - 7 #6 - 9.

If we get to 12 of the M14, M13, & M11 then we will be at the next to the last price point.

If we get to 10 on the nib taps, then we will be at the lowest price point.

Everything else is at the next to the last price point currently, the M12 plug and die need 2 more to be order to get the lowest price point.

RobS

I know there have been some comments about canceling some of the bottoming taps due to low interest. Elwin, would you PM me before that happens. I have a couple of proposals to help the bottoming tap numbers improve. I realized that if we DON'T get bottoming taps then we will be limiting further what we can do with our "kitless" tools. For example, it was mentioned anyone wanting to turn a "demonstrator" would want the bottoming taps to make it look right.
I've withheld making comments with regard to this group buy. The last successful GB for taps/dies was Feb 2016. I think there were a couple of interests in group buys but, they fell through and certainly weren't as extensive as this GB. I predict it'll be a couple of years before another one. I'd like to encourage those who responded to the research posts, to step up to the plate now and get your order in. Similarly, to anyone contemplating going kitless, it may be a couple of years before another group buy of this size takes place. So, if you are on the fence, I would encourage you folks to order as much as you can possibly afford. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Jeff

I believe, we are moving forward with the bottoming taps regardless. It's more of motivating those to keep their word to help with pricing. You are 100% correct, this is an awesome opportunity for savings, not to mention no one else has the bottoming triple taps available. So if we don't get them here, there is no where else to go.

Thanks for the hard work

eharri446

Okay, here is what it would take to get the triple lead bottoming taps to the next to the lowest price point:

M14 needs 5 to get to the $55.00 cost, the difference to the lowest price is $7.00. M13 needs 5 to get to $48.90, the difference to the lowest price is $6.90. M11 needs 3 to get to $49.70, the difference to the lowest price is $4.70.

The nib taps are a little farther apart:

The Bock #5 needs 4 to get to the lowest price of $23.80. The Bock #6 needs 3 to get to the lowest price of $21.60. The JOWO #5 need 4 to get to the lowest price of $26.60. The JOWO #6 needs 2 to get to the lowest price of $25.30.

I am not too concerned about the nib taps, as they should work okay with just a plug tap.

Also, I just discovered the the tap size for the JOWO #6 was incorrect. It should have been M7.5 X .5 and I had it as M7.4 X .5. Someone else provided me that size and I did not check it at the time.

I just got a new quote from the vendor and all of the prices are staying the same and the deadline has move to the middle of next month before the quote will expire. There was some concern on the part of the vendor that the prices might have changed due to the position of the dollar to the European monies. However, that was not a problem.

At this point we are going to be purchasing over 275 items.

Here is how the items break down:

Triple Lead Taps: 112
Triple Lead Dies: 73
Nib Taps: 90

I am hoping to be able to determine the shipping cost from the vendor to me over the week end.

Last edited:

GSteer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom