Timberwolf Bandsaw blades - group buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eajacobson

John,

Ah ha! You have to use the Suffolk Machinery link, and not the Timber Wolf link itself. I thought I had seen the metal cutting blades early on, but lately I've been searching the Timber Wolf site itself.

So, if I want a 1/2" X 10RK bi-metal blade, and a 1/2" X 10RK Silicon Steel blade, am I getting the same thing in terms of cutting? Is it better to have the bi-metal for just the metal cutting, and the silicon steel for the wood cuts?

Thank you,
Ed

Hello Ed

The link on the very first thread of this posting has the catalog. In the top banner it has blades written. Click on that and a drop down menu appears. Click on metal cutting blades and you are there. I use a 1/2"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

John,

Ah ha! You have to use the Suffolk Machinery link, and not the Timber Wolf link itself. I thought I had seen the metal cutting blades early on, but lately I've been searching the Timber Wolf site itself.

So, if I want a 1/2" X 10RK bi-metal blade, and a 1/2" X 10RK Silicon Steel blade, am I getting the same thing in terms of cutting? Is it better to have the bi-metal for just the metal cutting, and the silicon steel for the wood cuts?

Thank you,
Ed

Hello Ed

The link on the very first thread of this posting has the catalog. In the top banner it has blades written. Click on that and a drop down menu appears. Click on metal cutting blades and you are there. I use a 1/2"

Hello Ed

Every company has their own take on their blades they sell and reasons for each ones. Weather a blade is soft back or hard back, weather a blade is flexible or not meaning it needs less tension are all selling hypes. All blades will cut right out of the package and depending how hard you use them or how often you use them will vary from person to person. So when someone tells you they had a blade for 10 years, maybe they only used it 3 times in that spread. So i do not believe what people say and you can choose to ignore what I say for the same reasons. Everyone likes certain brands for various reasons and I will not go into this.

Here is what I will tell you and this goes for wood blades or metal blades or resaw blades, there is more to buying a quality blade then looking at a chart. Not all blades are suitable for all work. How you treat the blade and how hard you push it or tension it correctly will go a long way in determining the length of time the blade will last.

With that said. Here is the way blades stack up to normal usage.

Spring Steel-- Thin kerf resaw blades, low tension such as (Woodslicer or Bladerunner)

Silicon Steel

Carbon steel

Bimetal steel

Carbide tipped

Least to best from top to bottom. Stays sharper longer. Price will reflect this mostly also. Not sure if this answers your question. These are my opinions.

eajacobson

John,

Thanks. I think. I'm new to band saws, and most of this for that matter. So the "Silicon Steel" is towards the lower end of the blades? Just get the bi-metal one and use it for both wood and metal?

In chatting with the local shops, I understand that there are folks that only use Timber Wolf, or Olson, or whichever brand (or none of the brands carried locally are good enough...). I'm not that high end - I just like getting the "right" tools to do the job when I do get something.

Thanks for the education/opinions,
Ed

Others - though I am addressing these to John, feel free to join in, too, if you want. I don't want to hijack the GB thread, but I do want to make an informed buy in the GB.

Shawn,

Let me know if you'd rather I move this discussion to another thread.

Hello Ed

Every company has their own take on their blades they sell and reasons for each ones. Weather a blade is soft back or hard back, weather a blade is flexible or not meaning it needs less tension are all selling hypes. All blades will cut right out of the package and depending how hard you use them or how often you use them will vary from person to person. So when someone tells you they had a blade for 10 years, maybe they only used it 3 times in that spread. So i do not believe what people say and you can choose to ignore what I say for the same reasons. Everyone likes certain brands for various reasons and I will not go into this.

Here is what I will tell you and this goes for wood blades or metal blades or resaw blades, there is more to buying a quality blade then looking at a chart. Not all blades are suitable for all work. How you treat the blade and how hard you push it or tension it correctly will go a long way in determining the length of time the blade will last.

Spring Steel-- Thin kerf resaw blades, low tension such as (Woodslicer or Bladerunner)

Silicon Steel

Carbon steel

Bimetal steel

Carbide tipped

Least to best from top to bottom. Stays sharper longer. Price will reflect this mostly also. Not sure if this answers your question. These are my opinions.

jttheclockman

John,

Thanks. I think. I'm new to band saws, and most of this for that matter. So the "Silicon Steel" is towards the lower end of the blades? Just get the bi-metal one and use it for both wood and metal?

In chatting with the local shops, I understand that there are folks that only use Timber Wolf, or Olson, or whichever brand (or none of the brands carried locally are good enough...). I'm not that high end - I just like getting the "right" tools to do the job when I do get something.

Thanks for the education/opinions,
Ed

Others - though I am addressing these to John, feel free to join in, too, if you want. I don't want to hijack the GB thread, but I do want to make an informed buy in the GB.

Shawn,

Let me know if you'd rather I move this discussion to another thread.

Hello Ed

Silicon Steel

Carbon steel

Bimetal steel

Carbide tipped

I too do not want to hijack this thread. I just wanted to point out something because if you are buying blades now maybe a great time to take advantage of something you may have in your mind for the future.

Silicon steel is toward the lower end of the spectrumof blades. They just do not stay sharp long enough if used on a daily basis. You can get more bang for $$$ with other type blades.

The answer to the second question in blue is NO. 2 different blades. Can you cut metal with a wood blade, yes but will dull it quicker. As i mentioned there is other factors in a blade such as teeth/per inch. Rake of a blade or set of the teeth. Band saw blades are a lot like table saw blades. Different strokes.

Good luck. I have to go now.

The Penguin

I have used tried Olson, Woodslicer and Timberwolf blades on my saws

I have used a carbide tipped blade on a friends saw. We also used one of "big name brand" blades on his saw that was highly recommended by Woodcraft (Resaw King?) - and were not impressed with it compared to carbide.

for the type of cutting I do - mostly roughing green wood and/or rough out bowl blanks, the Timbberwolf 1/2 x 3 AS is my preferred blade

note that if you are wanting a bi-metal blade - that falls into a different discount category, and we must have a minimum of 6 bi-metal blades to get the 25% discount. I would be willing to purchase a bi-metal blade (or two) as my conversations with them have indicated that there are times when I should be using that blade on some of my projects.

carbide is a completely different blade style and they only offer 10% off with a minimum of 4 blades. I'm not really wanting to spend $200 on a blade right now...but I sure wouldn't mind having one...

The Penguin

lcummings - WWCH

Brian S - GCWA
Paul M - GCWA
DonD - GCWA
TomE - GCWA
BenG - GCWA

edohmann - IAP
elance - IAP
SteveG - IAP
nellieteach - IAP
Mike8850 - IAP
duncsuss - IAP
Karl_99 - IAP

total blade count: 44 <--- We've reached the max discount for standard blades!

order form sent to (waiting on your order...):

eajacobson
massmans
keith byrd
its virgil
twinsen
lwalden
SloLouie

The Penguin

lcummings - WWCH

Brian S - GCWA
Paul M - GCWA
Don D - GCWA
Tom E - GCWA
Ben G - GCWA
Doug G - GCWA

edohmann - IAP
elance - IAP
SteveG - IAP
nellieteach - IAP
Mike8850 - IAP
duncsuss - IAP
Karl_99 - IAP
lwalden - IAP

total blade count: 52 <--- We've reached the max discount for standard blades!

waiting on orders from:

eajacobson
massmans
keith byrd
its virgil
twinsen
SloLouie

The Penguin

lcummings - WWCH

Brian S - GCWA
Paul M - GCWA
Don D - GCWA
Tom E - GCWA
Ben G - GCWA
Doug G - GCWA
FogT - GCWA

edohmann - IAP
elance - IAP
SteveG - IAP
nellieteach - IAP
Mike8850 - IAP
duncsuss - IAP
Karl_99 - IAP
lwalden - IAP
SloLouie - IAP
massmans - IAP

total blade count: 77 <--- We've reached the max discount for standard blades!

waiting on orders from:

eajacobson
keith byrd
its virgil
twinsen

The Penguin

lcummings - WWCH

Brian S - GCWA
Paul M - GCWA
Don D - GCWA
Tom E - GCWA
Ben G - GCWA
Doug G - GCWA
FogT - GCWA

edohmann - IAP
elance - IAP
SteveG - IAP
nellieteach - IAP
Mike8850 - IAP
duncsuss - IAP
Karl_99 - IAP
lwalden - IAP
SloLouie - IAP
massmans - IAP
eajacobson - IAP

total blade count: 84
Silicon steel: 82 <--- We've reached the max discount (30%) for standard blades!
Bi-metal: 2 <--- 15% discount on these blades

waiting on orders from:

keith byrd
its virgil
twinsen

The Penguin

lcummings - WWCH

Brian S - GCWA
Paul M - GCWA
Don D - GCWA
Tom E - GCWA
Ben G - GCWA
Doug G - GCWA
FogT - GCWA

edohmann - IAP
elance - IAP
SteveG - IAP
nellieteach - IAP
Mike8850 - IAP
duncsuss - IAP
Karl_99 - IAP
lwalden - IAP
SloLouie - IAP
massmans - IAP
eajacobson - IAP
Charlie_W - IAP

total blade count: 87
Silicon steel: 85 <--- We've reached the max discount (30%) for standard blades!

waiting on orders from:

keith byrd
its virgil
twinsen

The Penguin

Please send me an order form

please send me a PM with your email address.

update:

lcummings - WWCH

Brian S - GCWA
Paul M - GCWA
Don D - GCWA
Tom E - GCWA
Ben G - GCWA
Doug G - GCWA
FogT - GCWA

edohmann - IAP
elance - IAP
SteveG - IAP
nellieteach - IAP
Mike8850 - IAP
duncsuss - IAP
Karl_99 - IAP
lwalden - IAP
SloLouie - IAP
massmans - IAP
eajacobson - IAP
Charlie_W - IAP
keith byrd - IAP

total blade count: 90
Silicon steel: 88 <--- We've reached the max discount (30%) for standard blades!

waiting on orders from:

its virgil
twinsen
triw51

Last edited:

The Penguin

lcummings - WWCH

Brian S - GCWA
Paul M - GCWA
Don D - GCWA
Tom E - GCWA
Ben G - GCWA
Doug G - GCWA
FogT - GCWA
ScottN - GCWA

edohmann - IAP
elance - IAP
SteveG - IAP
nellieteach - IAP
Mike8850 - IAP
duncsuss - IAP
Karl_99 - IAP
lwalden - IAP
SloLouie - IAP
massmans - IAP
eajacobson - IAP
Charlie_W - IAP
keith byrd - IAP
its virgil - IAP
twinsen - IAP

total blade count: 100+
Silicon steel: 100+ <--- We've reached the max discount (30%) for standard blades!

waiting on orders from:

triw51
jason-r

Last edited:

The Penguin

lcummings - WWCH

Brian S - GCWA
Paul M - GCWA
Don D - GCWA
Tom E - GCWA
Ben G - GCWA
Doug G - GCWA
FogT - GCWA
ScottN - GCWA
AndyC - GCWA

edohmann - IAP
elance - IAP
SteveG - IAP
nellieteach - IAP
Mike8850 - IAP
duncsuss - IAP
Karl_99 - IAP
lwalden - IAP
SloLouie - IAP
massmans - IAP
eajacobson - IAP
Charlie_W - IAP
keith byrd - IAP
its virgil - IAP
twinsen - IAP

Silicon steel: 100+ <--- We've reached the max discount (30%) for standard blades!
Bi-metal: 4 <--- 15% discount on these blades

waiting on orders from:

triw51
jason-r

The Penguin

No - I've adjusted and found that I can order on Monday and still get them when I need them to arrive.

Please send me a PM with your email address.

The Penguin

lcummings - WWCH

Brian S - GCWA
Paul M - GCWA
Don D - GCWA
Tom E - GCWA
Ben G - GCWA
Doug G - GCWA
FogT - GCWA
ScottN - GCWA
AndyC - GCWA

edohmann - IAP
elance - IAP
SteveG - IAP
nellieteach - IAP
Mike8850 - IAP
duncsuss - IAP
Karl_99 - IAP
lwalden - IAP
SloLouie - IAP
massmans - IAP
eajacobson - IAP
Charlie_W - IAP
keith byrd - IAP
its virgil - IAP
twinsen - IAP
triw51 - IAP
jason_r - IAP

Bi-metal: 4 <--- 15% discount on these blades

waiting on orders from:

larryc
nava1uni

Last edited:

The Penguin

Update - the blades are ordered, have been shipped and are on the way to me.

I expect receive them on Thursday.

At someone's suggestion - I'm going to try using Regional Rate USPS shipping instead of MFRB. It should make your final cost a few dollars less...but that also means I have to receive the blades, box and weight them - to get a price for Regional Rate shipping.

As stated, I hope to receive them Thursday and try to have them boxed and weighed by Friday. So look for an email or PM from me on Friday with your total due.

thanks!

eajacobson

Shawn,

I think the price on the Regional A boxes is all the same for the first several pounds (5 or 6 seemed to be the same as 2, if going to the same "zone"). Bigger price difference is the ZIP code to deliver to.

Thanks for the update and for organizing this GB!

Ed

The Penguin

all blades have shipped out, and you should be receiving them today or tomorrow.

I think there were 2 shipments that requested insurance - you may have to sign for the package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom