Tap and Die (triple start threads) Group Buy - IS ON!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

Mine came in too and I realize I am a real newbie when it comes to use of the die.....

What is the setscrew used for? I have never purchased a die that was split with a setscrew before.....:confused:

Texatdurango

All I got was a box full of wadded and rolled up newspaper! I tossed the paper out and looked for the tap and die but NOTHING! Ya think maybe I shouldn't have tossed the wrapping paper out! :eek::biggrin:

Texatdurango

Mine came in too and I realize I am a real newbie when it comes to use of the die.....

What is the setscrew used for? I have never purchased a die that was split with a setscrew before.....:confused:
It opens and closes the die.

Let's say you cut your cap (female) threads with the tap, which will be a "constant width". You can experiment with the set screw on the die to either expand or contract the "width" that the die will cut the (male) threads. This will allow you to make the mating threads tight, loose or anywhere in-between to suit your own tastes.

dozuki

I got my set in the mail today and can't wait to get started using them. Does anyone know how to use them? Actually I was looking at texatdurango's tutorial on another way to make a pen and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the die holder with the M2 taper. I'm just trying to get all of the little bits and parts togeather before the real fun (frustration) begins. Again a big thanks to turbowagon for makeing this group buy happen.

Paul

PTownSubbie

It opens and closes the die.

Let's say you cut your cap (female) threads with the tap, which will be a "constant width". You can experiment with the set screw on the die to either expand or contract the "width" that the die will cut the (male) threads. This will allow you to make the mating threads tight, loose or anywhere in-between to suit your own tastes.

Thanks George! That is what I thought but before I started opening or closing it and possibly breaking it.....I wanted to know! Too expensive to experiment with!:eek:

Texatdurango

I got my set in the mail today and can't wait to get started using them. Does anyone know how to use them? Actually I was looking at texatdurango's tutorial on another way to make a pen and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the die holder with the M2 taper. I'm just trying to get all of the little bits and parts togeather before the real fun (frustration) begins. Again a big thanks to turbowagon for makeing this group buy happen.

Paul

I have this one and it suits my needs....... http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2314&category=

But I don't recall it being that expensive so maybe I got mine on sale or elsewhere, perhaps a search for "morse taper die holder" might produce other sites.

Last edited:

drgoretex

THANK YOU JOE!!

My set just arrived today in Winnipeg. Can,t wait to get started!

Thanks for all the efforts and time you put into this, Joe! Very much appreciated!

Ken

drgoretex

Paul

Another option is to use this die holder in a morse taper drill chuck:

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/category/category_id/14647/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=SiteChampion

Ken

Texatdurango

Paul

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/category/category_id/14647/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=SiteChampion

Ken

Ken, have you tried it? The only one I saw similar to this would not allow the pen blank to go in very far while threading.

bitshird

I swear to the all mighty I will get a set of these some day, If any body decides they don't need their set, or just wants to make a few bucks, I'm open to offers, PLEASE

bitshird

I swear to the all mighty I will get a set of these some day, If any body decides they don't need their set, or just wants to make a few bucks, I'm open to offers, PLEASE

BRAND NEW, NEVER USED, still in newspaper wrapping........... $500 :wink:

Uh George, I said a few bucks, that would take my Social Security check and part of my so in laws salary LOL does that offer include grease??

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam

Paul

Ken

Ken, have you tried it? The only one I saw similar to this would not allow the pen blank to go in very far while threading.
That's the one I've been using for several years. Works fine.

soligen

Paul

Ken

That's the one I've been using for several years. Works fine.

I got mine elsewhere, but it looks just like that. Yes, the blank can only go in so far, but once I am in the depth of the die, I remove the holder and attach a regular bar, lock my lathe spindle, and contunie to thread as far as I like.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I've just been and collected mine.........cool, time to play.:biggrin:

Had to pay the tax and handling fees though:frown: Added almost £30 ( $38 )to the cost. Oh well....but still worth it though.

Thanks Joe:biggrin:

soligen

I've just been and collected mine.........cool, time to play.:biggrin:

Had to pay the tax and handling fees though:frown: Added almost £30 ( $38 )to the cost. Oh well....but still worth it though.

Thanks Joe:biggrin:

So, here is the mystery the IAP wants to solve:

Did Skiprat buy the tap and die to MAKE pens, or did he buy them to MAKE INTO pens??:biggrin::biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom