Stainless stopper group buy ends 8/20

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

I honestly don't know, but the thread size is the same as what AS sells. I'd look at the SS stoppers over there and see what size tap and bit they show for sale.

Mikey

Lance, the total is going to be $47.68 with the Paypal charges. Obviously, you arlready paid for the shipping.

foneman and Timbo, I sent you PMs with payment info.

All others who have not paid have gotten e-mails where allowed or new PMs.

Last edited:

tbroye

Mike

Got your Email. Thanks for the refund of the extra payment. Would loved to had bought more, But had to buy the mandrel and tap and drill bit. My connection is slow some time (ATT DSL) and I clicked twice on send payment.

Thanks again

1nfinity

Mikey,
If it's not too late, I'll place an order for ten of the stoppers. I've never tried this style of stopper before, but if the quantity of orders placed this far by everyone is an indicator, they can't be too bad. Up to this point I've only used the droplet style stoppers from CUSA.
Please PM me or email with the amount and I'll PayPal you no later than mid-morning on Thursday.
Thanks -- Terry

Last edited:

tbroye

Mikey

How about an update on the Stopper buy. Not worried just curious. Can't affored to by the pretty PR blank of Ed Davidison's right now anyway so no big hurry.

Thanks

Mikey

I have the rest almost all packed up now. I have a post office here open until midnight so when my wife gets back from her Tupperware function, I'll be taking that last load. The clerk is going to be pizzed when he sees all the insurance forms he has to scan. lol!!!

Mikey

All orders have shipped. You guys should be seeing them show up starting today and continuing through Tuesday. By Wednesday everyone should have their stuff.

Mikey

Since some of you are getting them now, I'm sure you will be checking them to see how they work. You may have some concern as I did when I first put one in a bottle as I was used to the Berea type stoppers and the tight fit they had. I e-mailed Ruth and this is the response I got:

First you do not want the stopper to fit so tight that you have to really pull hard to get it out, all you need it to do is seal the wine. If the wine does not leak out, that's the best you can say about any stopper. Also no stopper, metal, silicone or cork is going fit every single type of bottle on the market. If a glass bottle is not absolutely round, a perfectly round metal stopper (any metal stopper) will not fit tight BUT it will seal the wine to any wine drinkers satisfaction. Are you using the same bottle? The same brand? Try different bottles and different brands.

There is only one reason to ever lay the bottle on its side and that is if it doesn't fit in the fridge standing up. Every single wine drinker I know, keeps the bottle on the door and there is never a problem. There seems to be this "wine lore" about a bottle laying on its side, that came from keeping the cork from drying out. A number of wineries in CA, where I sent my stoppers to be critiqued before they were put on the market, were impressed and satisfied with the design and fit.

While I was waiting for that response from Ruth, I popped a stopper into two different bottles. One of those bottles was a commercial bottle and the other was commercially made for bottling wine at home. The bottles were filled and layed on their sides and turned upside down. In both bottles, not a single drop ever leaked out. I was really amazed considering how easily the stoppers fit and how they seemed to have a lask of seal. I felt like I could have been a magician at that point and decided to show my wife the trick. :biggrin: She was equally amazed. :biggrin:

Mikey

Hey guys, could you all please make sure you do a count. I think one of the bags opened up as I have an extra stopper. Will send out ASAP. My apologies.

Texatdurango

Mike, Hope you don't mind a few comments.....

In my opinion folks are overly concerned about bottle stoppers "sealing" so after reading the post above I thought I would share a few tidbits that non-wine drinkers probably don't know and might make them more knowledgeable when trying to sell their stoppers to wine drinkers, sorta like being an informed merchant.

The average wine drinker is probably not concerned with "storing and sealing" their wine as they will more than likely empty a bottle at a sitting. If not, they realize that oxygen is what attacks an opened bottle of wine so will usually finish a bottle within a day or two upon opening and no stoppers we make are going to stop the damage oxygen causes since however tightly sealed, there is already oxygen inside the bottle!

The true wine aficionados, if concerned with sealing a bottle between uses, will most likely already have one or more vacuum type caps to keep their wine as oxygen free as possible between uses so won't be looking for a "sealing" type stopper to begin with. So telling one of these customers that our stoppers "keep their wine sealed" would make us look uninformed.

Wine enthusiasts such as me will most likely use the stoppers as decorative accessories during dinner or at an occasion so I would be more concerned how the stopper looks rather than how it seals!

Personally, I like the way Ruth's stoppers sit down on the bottle allowing the stopper to show itself off rather than the "half base/half stopper" look.

Just an opinion......

Happy stopper making to all, I can't wait to get back to my lathe and make a few!

tbroye

Mike

Stoppers arrived today, 2 days form Ohio not to shabby. Now is any body having a Acrylic or Resin Stopper Blank group buy? Thanks for all you hard work Mike it is appriciated. Now to the shop and see what I can turn.

Mikey

when is the next order.

I would do this again with a few changes.

1) total group buy limited to 500 pcs. It stops there as that is what fits in a single box from Ruth. This one took two boxes which made insurance and shipping more expensive. I think shipping costs with insurance were $60+ and I collected something like $27 or so for shipping.

2) they will be $4.60 but I will not guarantee that $.15 gets donated from each stopper. See the insurance and shipping costs above as the reason. I would be happy to donate leftover funds though.

3) If we don't get 300 ordered, then I refund all monies.

4) I would also include her new mandrel that doubles as a bushing in the buy. IIRC they are $25, but would probably be shipped in a seperate box to me, so I may have to add like a buck extra for shipping to get them to me. I bought one to test out and hopefully within the next week I can provide a short review.

I would end the buy so that everyone gets their stuff no later than the end of the month so that they have all of October, November, and December to complete stuff for shows and gifts. (probably keep it open until maybe Sept 15th which is Payday for a lot of people and they can Paypal me that day)

I would want input from others and those who got some from this buy to see if they would want me to do this again.

Mike

Bear-31

Recieved mine late last week. I love the low profile design so much better. Makes the bottle stopper part of the bottle insted of floating over it. Already have a few crafted and assembled ... I should have bought more!! Oh well there is always next time. Thanks again.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Received mine on Sat the 30th Aug.

Had a really busy weekend (even had a wedding anniversary :)
but did take time to open package and see how they fit,
had the same thought/concern about fit as you and others must be having,
so thanks for doing the research and email to Ruth.
Can't wait to get some shop time...
I did purchase her mandrel seperately also, will give it a try hopefully soon.

Thanks Mikey for putting this all togetherl..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom