Stainless stopper group buy ends 8/20

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

CLOSED
8/29 update: All orders shipped. Some of you may be seeing then today or tomorrow.

8/30 update note:

Since some of you are getting them now, I'm sure you will be checking them to see how they work. You may have some concern as I did when I first put one in a bottle as I was used to the Berea type stoppers and the tight fit they had. I e-mailed Ruth and this is the response I got:

First you do not want the stopper to fit so tight that you have to really pull hard to get it out, all you need it to do is seal the wine. If the wine does not leak out, that's the best you can say about any stopper. Also no stopper, metal, silicone or cork is going fit every single type of bottle on the market. If a glass bottle is not absolutely round, a perfectly round metal stopper (any metal stopper) will not fit tight BUT it will seal the wine to any wine drinkers satisfaction. Are you using the same bottle? The same brand? Try different bottles and different brands.

There is only one reason to ever lay the bottle on its side and that is if it doesn't fit in the fridge standing up. Every single wine drinker I know, keeps the bottle on the door and there is never a problem. There seems to be this "wine lore" about a bottle laying on its side, that came from keeping the cork from drying out. A number of wineries in CA, where I sent my stoppers to be critiqued before they were put on the market, were impressed and satisfied with the design and fit.

While I was waiting for that response from Ruth, I popped a stopper into two different bottles. One of those bottles was a commercial bottle and the other was commercially made for bottling wine at home. The bottles were filled and layed on their sides and turned upside down. In both bottles, not a single drop ever leaked out. I was really amazed considering how easily the stoppers fit and how they seemed to have a lask of seal. I felt like I could have been a magician at that point and decided to show my wife the trick. :biggrin: She was equally amazed. :biggrin:

8/26 update: The stoppers are here and counted out. I am in the process of making all the address labels and will start shipping tomorrow. I'm not sure how many I can get out for tomorrow as I just got home from school. (kids' orientation was tonight)

Group buy is closed. All stoppers have been ordered and I have been told I will have them by Wednesday. I'll start shipping packages by Friday.

Since there is already more than enough interest in the stainless stoppers from Ruth Niles I am opening up the buy. The buy will be open until the 20th which is 2 weeks.

Stoppers will be from http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html and right now will be the #301 with the 3/8" x 16tpi threaded stud.

Pricing on the site is: (our current price in blue and has been changed to reflect the probable current discount)
1-9 $5.95
10-19 $5.70
20-49 $5.40
50-99 $5.20
100+ $4.75
200+ $4.60

In addition, there is an extra price break past 300. Since some people usually back out I would just count on the 200+ price right now. What I was thinking of doing if we get additional discounts is to donate the extra $.15 per stopper (according to 300+ pricing or whatever discount we get above the $4.60 price) to the IAP fund. That would be at least $45 on a 300 order. I hope this would be acceptable to everyone.

Cost will be $4.60 each plus $5.30 for postage ($4.80 me to you plus $.50 for getting them to me.) and Paypal fees of 3% +.30. (cost + postage *1.03 +.30) If you would like insurance, add appropriate cost to the total BEFORE you figure out Paypal costs. -insurance will be based on cost of stoppers alone without shipping. If you would like to avoid the Paypal fees PM me and I'll give you my home mailing address. If we go even higher it is likely we'll get an additional discount. I'll figure that in when I request payment. For those in Canada, I may be able to use a flat rate envelope which would be about $9. I also estimated a 2lb package to Canada and it was about $8.50. I don't have an actual weight though, so everything at this point is a complete guess. I'll start sending out totals and payment information on Sunday now that I know what we'll be paying per person.

Insurance fees
$0.01 to $50 $1.70
50.01 to 100 $2.15
100.01 to 200 $2.60
200.01 to 300 $4.60
300.01 to 400 $5.55
400.01 to 500 $6.50
500.01 to 600 $7.45

I added everyone's name from the guaging interest thread. PMs and/or e-mails have been sent out to everyone so far.

Mikey -20
Modelmaker -10 Paid PP Shipped
1JaredSchmidt -5
penhead -25 Paid PPShipped

Glass Scratcher -25 Paid PPShipped

bruce119 -15 Paid PPShipped

RKing -10 Paid PPShipped

pentex -5 Paid PPShipped

hosspen -30 Paid PPShipped

keithkarl2007 -10 or 15
ScribbleSticks -15 Paid PPShipped

airrat -15 Paid PPShipped

LanceD -35 Paid PP +10 more Paid PPShipped

Monty -10 Paid PPShipped

HawksFeather -30 Paid PPShipped

joeatact -10 Paid PPShipped

jmt19 -10 Paid PPShipped

spiritwoodturner -10
drayman -10 Paid PPShipped

devowoodworking -10 Paid PPShipped

PenWorks -25 PaidShipped

tool-man -10 Paid PPShipped

jwalt191 -7 Paid PPShipped

brez -10 Paid PPShipped

avbill -10 Paid checkShipped

RWL5420 -10 Paid PPShipped

el d -5 Paid PPShipped

gketell -10 Paid PPShipped

JimH -15 Paid PPShipped

Mustard Monster -20 Paid checkShipped

bananajeep -25 Paid PPShipped

LumberYard -10 Paid PPShipped

jason r -25 Paid PPShipped

MoreCowBell -20 Paid checkShipped

Roger Garrett -15 Paid CheckShipped

Dan F -10 Paid PPShipped

JohnU -10 Paid PPShipped

BruceK -10 Paid PPShipped

Leather Man -10 Paid checkShipped

Colleen -20 Paid PPShipped

psenn -20
chuckforsyth -8 Paid PPShipped

TexatDurango -20 Paid PP Holding fpr go ahead to ship.
barkisini -20 Paid PPShipped

Jimbo5576 -10 Paid PPShipped

Jarheaded -10 Paid PPShipped

tbroye -12 Paid PPShipped

bitshird -10 Paid PPShipped

foneman -20 Paid PPShipped

Timbo -20 Paid PPShipped

jdoug5170 -20 Paid PPShipped

1nfinity -10 Paid PPShipped

Paid total so far of 742

Any questions, let me know.

Mike

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
This is on the bottom of the page linked above in case you missed it. Sounds like you guys could get better pricing since you already have over 200.

***For orders of 200 or more stoppers or for club orders, please contact me about further discount prices.

jmt19

Stainless Stopper Group Buy

Good Morning Mike

Please include me in the buy for 10 stoppers. Please PM me with the details when available.

Regards

Jim T

Mikey

Curtis, I was aware of the 200+ pricing and 300+ pricing discounts. I have reflected this info in the first post. The possible further discounts is also why I haven't sent any requests for funds yet. better to just get everything right.

in addition, I think the $4.60 may be the price we just go with. The 300+ price would be $4.45 but i was thinking of keeping the cost at $4.60 (200+) and then donating any further discounts to the IAP. This way I won't be asking for more money if someone backs out and we don't hit the target discount and I also won't have to worry about refunding $1.50 to a bunch of people and $3 to even more.

if anyone has any objections, by all means let me know.

Mike

tool-man

Hi Mike -
I would like to get 10 of these bottle stoppers. Thanks

--------
Andy
How many bottle stoppers do you think I can get out of this burl?:biggrin:
See pic at left.

LanceD

I'll go with 35 instead of 50 as I originally said. I still have 24 of them in stock at the moment. Please email me your payment details.

Colleen

Hi, Mike,

I'd like 20 stoppers. Please PM or e-mail the total. Thank you!

Colleen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom