Stainless stopper buy Sept 08

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

10/2 Update All orders out today!

Also, here is the breakdown of what the costs were. Total collected $1818.60, Order cost $1629.25, Postage to members $94.19, Paypal fees $50.35. =IAP donation of $44.81

I know a lot of you haven't had a chance to use the ones from the last buy but I have had several ask for more or people who didn't get in on the buy the first time. I could also use a few more now as well since I sent out some f the ones I ordered to others who needed them. The buy will end on the 17th and all payments must be in by end of day on the 18th. Following this time frame means most everyone can have the orders at the end of the month or the very beginning of October.

The stoppers will be from http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html and right now will be the #301 with the 3/8" x 16tpi threaded stud. Pricing is $4.60 each. We need at least 300 to go ahead with the order. MAX is 500. BUY WILL BE CUT OFF AT 500. The actual pricing is a bit less than the $4.60 shown. With the last buy I donated the extra $.15 per stopper to the IAP. I also lost about $60 between shipping, insurance costs and supplies. For this buy, the amount remaining will be donated.

I am also going to include the mandrels she is selling in the buy. Cost on this is $25 each.

Cost will be $4.60 each plus $5.30 for postage ($4.80 me to you plus $.50 for getting them to me.) and Paypal fees of 3% +.30. (cost + postage *1.03 +.30) If you would like insurance, add appropriate cost to the total BEFORE you figure out Paypal costs. -insurance will be based on cost of stoppers alone without shipping. If you would like to avoid the Paypal fees PM me and I'll give you my home mailing address. If we go even higher it is likely we'll get an additional discount. I'll figure that in when I request payment. For those in Canada, the last two packages of 10 shipped for about $6.25 including the $.50 add on. For higher quantities I can weigh up to 20 at this time for shipping estimates. For those in the UK, a flat rate envelope was a bit over $12.

Costs of stoppers in even numbers including shipping and Paypal:
5 stoppers –no insurance $29.45 -with insurance $31.20
10 stoppers –no insurance $53.14 -with insurance $54.89
15 stoppers –no insurance $76.83 -with insurance $79.04
20 stoppers –no insurance $100.52 -with insurance $102.73
25 stoppers –no insurance $124.21 -with insurance $126.89
30 stoppers –no insurance $147.90 -with insurance $150.58

Any number over 30 will require a larger box and additional postage. Leave your order and I will PM you or contact me via PM.

If mandrels are added on to a stopper order, cost will be $26 including shipping. If you just want the mandrel, you can order it directly from Ruth. You guys also need to make sure you allow PMs from this site and you need to check them. To allow PMs (Private Messages) you go into the user CP and make the necessary changes. If you don'yt check in often, you cana also turn on a feature that sends you an e-mail when you get a private message.

Orders:

rincewind03060 -10 stoppers and 1 mandrel PAID (issued partial refund for overpayment)
jttheclockman -20 stoppers and 1 mandrel PAID
jeffinWIS -20 stoppers PAID
Leather Man -10 stoppers and 1 mandrel PAID
Rking -10 stoppers PAID
oldsalt70 -10 stoppers and 1 mandrel -cancelled
MoreCowBell -10 stoppers and 1 mandrel PAID
Angelofdeath -30 stoppers PAID
Bettyt44720 -10 stoppers PAID
Chuck Key -20 stoppers PAID
Vis Exp -20 stoppers and 1 mandrel PAID
tommyd -10 stoppers PAID
Super Dave -40 stoppers PAID
tbroye -15 stoppers PAID
massmans -25 stoppers and 1 mandrel PAID
Monty -10 stoppers and 1 mandrel PAID
GlassScratcher -15 stoppers PAID

I think I got everyone right so far as some people didn't include a username when they paid. If i left you off the list for being paid, let me know.

Thanks to a generous member orderinga bunch more, we now are at the 300 mark. I have sent notices to everyone, so let's get the money in. Ruth is close to me so shipping is pretty quick.

I turned a stopper from the last buy on Ruth's mandrel. I used Paul Huffman's vise, a 1" forstner bit, and a 5/16" (oops, originally said I used 3/8" bit) drill bit on this one. Ruth recommends a 23/64" drill bit when the mandrel is used. I would have to agree as it must have taken me several minutes to get the block threaded when I used the 5/16" bit. I used the forstner bit so that the base would be completely flat and sit perfect against the stopper base. If you don't have a 23/64 bit then I would recommend a separate tap that you may already have. This is te tap with the stopper on it. The gap is normally not there and would have been really tight to remove had i screwed it all the way on.
NilesStopper2small.jpg

Once turned, I popped the mandrel out of the lathe, installed my Beall setup and used the mandrel as a handle. A longer handle may be a bit more comfortable, especially if you have a two lathe setup where the mandrel may stay in the first lathe. For those with a small shop or budget, the mandrel works well.
NilesStopper1small.jpg

In addition, the stopper does not seem to seal tight. However, I filled several bottles and layed them down, turned the upside down, shook them, and did just about anything else i could do to try and get liquid to come out. I asked Ruth about the percieved looseness and this was the reply I got.

First you do not want the stopper to fit so tight that you have to really pull hard to get it out, all you need it to do is seal the wine. If the wine does not leak out, that's the best you can say about any stopper. Also no stopper, metal, silicone or cork is going fit every single type of bottle on the market. If a glass bottle is not absolutely round, a perfectly round metal stopper (any metal stopper) will not fit tight BUT it will seal the wine to any wine drinkers satisfaction. Are you using the same bottle? The same brand? Try different bottles and different brands.

There is only one reason to ever lay the bottle on its side and that is if it doesn't fit in the fridge standing up. Every single wine drinker I know, keeps the bottle on the door and there is never a problem. There seems to be this "wine lore" about a bottle laying on its side, that came from keeping the cork from drying out. A number of wineries in CA, where I sent my stoppers to be critiqued before they were put on the market, were impressed and satisfied with the design and fit.

I have no doubt these will work perfect with the majority of bottles out there.

Mike

Last edited:

LumberYard

I thought this picture might bring some clarity on the difference between a standard stopper and the stainless ones in this group buy:

Attachments

• stopper.jpg
    stopper.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 224

jttheclockman

I would like 15 stoppers and 1 mandrel. Please tell what I need to do. Thanks. Changing my order to 20 please.

Last edited:

Mikey

OK guys, we have like 55 towards 300 so far. Need a bunch more and there's only a week left. Hopefully some of you guys that bought 5 or 10 to try have seen how nice they really are and wish to pick up a few more. I've made a handful so far and my wife likes these a LOT better than the large Berea ones I was using before. (they were local and cheap enough)

LanceD

Mikey, please cancel my order for the 2 mandrels. I just ordered them from Ruth. I just wanted to get them a little quicker.

Thanks,
Lance

tommyd

bottle stoppers

would like to get 10 stoppers. had to add money to pp will take 3-5 days please let me know what to do or if I'm to late.

SuperDave

Thanks Mike!

Put me down for 20 Mike. Best stoppers around!

Dave

If you get to a point that you are a few stoppers short of a full order, let me know and I can bump my 20 a little more.

Last edited:

Mikey

Guys, the buy may be off. We still aren't to 200 yet and only a day to go. If we can get a handful of people who need 20 then it may still be possible, but the payment process will take a few days longer.

Mike

Mikey

I'm adding the totals right now. Being that i haven't asked for money yet i'll leave it for another day or two. We are getting closer and just need a few more people. I can buy about 30 or so extra myself if i need to but will probably wind up selling them to people who didn't get in on time. I'll update the totals in a little while but at least we are over 200 now no problem.

<edit> right now we are at 260 with my order of 20. i can increase that by a small amount but we still need about 30 AND get everyone to pay that has committed.

I'll start sending out notices in a bit.

mike

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Mike,
Put me down for 10 more plus a mandrel.
I just saw this this morning. I've only been skimming the forums the past few days because of Ike. It's real slow at home being on dial up again.

opfoto

As I no longer use paypal....

Can I still place an order and pay by check???? PM me with your response

IF so I would like 10 stoppers and 1 mandrel.

Thanks in advance...

tbroye

Mike and others

I just tried to use Ruth's Stainless mandrel in my Delta Midi Lathe. The mandrel is too long for the Headstock. It needs to have 1/4-3/8 of an inch removed before it will fit and seat in the head stock. Not a big problem either take a hacksaw to it or take it a machine shop and have them remove it. 9/20 3:30 pm I went out in the shop and modified with a hacksaw, worked fine it now fits pictures attached. Ruth's mandrel is the bottom of the two to show the difference in the two shafts.

Attachments

• 100_2941.jpg
    100_2941.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Mikey

First post updated and all stoppers shipped today. IAP donation will be $44.81. This brings our two buy total up over $150 in donations. Thanks guys for being patient and getting the funds in so quickly when called upon to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom