Status
Not open for further replies.

VisExp

5/27/08 Edited to add image of Forest Knobwood sent to me by Barry

------------------------------------------

This is further to the following two posts:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35873

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35919

My apologies for the delay in getting this going but there has been a fair amount involved in getting this far. Barry sent me some sample blanks and I have taken pictures of the blanks and also turned pens from most of them and taken pictures of those.

The woods and prices are as follows:

Silky Oak $2.10
Red (Pink) Ivory $2.10
African Blackwood $2.10
Tambotie $2.10
Wild Olive $2.10
Coastal Red Milkwood $1.50
Kiaat $1.50
White Milkwood $1.50
Spalted White Stinkwood $1.20
Quar/Black Alder $1.20
Jacaranda $1.20
White Pear $1.20
Forest Knobwood $1.20
White Stinkwood $0.90

These prices include my best guess on shipping to me. If I have underestimated on this then I will eat the loss. If I have overestimated then I will either offer a refund or the extra money can be donated to the IAP.

Shipping from me to you will be using USPS Flat Rate:

Flat Rate envelope $4.80
Flat Rate Box $9.80
Large Flat Rate Box $12.95

(If anyone knows how many blanks you can get in the various Flat Rate Envelopes/Boxes please let me know. Thanks.)

No problem shipping overseas. I will figure the cost out when I know how many blanks you want and where it is going.

If you could add the Paypal fees to the total $0.31 plus 3% of the total. (If I have those fees wrong please let me know, I've never received money via Paypal, my Paypal account to date has just been a one way street :D )

All of the sample blanks arrived in great condition. They were well packaged and had been fumigated. They all drilled and turned very nice. The only issue I had was sanding the Tambotie. It is a very oily wood and gummed up the sandpaper very quickly. Barry also mentioned that have reactions to Tambotie and Silky Oak. He has actually developed an intolerance to Silky Oak. I did not have any reactions to any of the woods I worked with.

Silky Oak
silkyoak.jpg

ACT_6627.jpg

Red (Pink)Ivory
redivory.jpg

ACT_6633.jpg

African Blackwood
africanblackwood.jpg

Tambotie
tambotie.jpg

ACT_6610.jpg

Wild Olive
wildolive.jpg

ACT_6616.jpg

Coastal Red Milkwood
redmilkwoodcoastal.jpg

ACT_6621.jpg

Kiaat
kiaat.jpg

ACT_6635.jpg

White Milkwood
whitemilkwood.jpg

ACT_6639.jpg

Spalted White Stinkwood
spaltedwhitestinkwood.jpg

ACT_6631.jpg

Quar/Black Alder
quarblackalder.jpg

ACT_6629.jpg

Jacaranda
jacaranda.jpg

ACT_6637.jpg

White Pear
whitepear.jpg

White Stinkwood
whitestinkwood.jpg

Forest Knobwood
forestknobwood.jpg

Hopefully that covers everything. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

How many pen blanks you can get in a flat rate envelope depends on the size of the blanks. I can usually get 18 to 20 3/4 x 3/4 by 5.25 blanks in an envelope.
When are you planning on placing the order? Bob I.

mrplace

Are all of the Pink Ivory blanks that color?

If they are, I will take 20 of the Pink Ivory and 20 of the Spalted Stinkwood.

Email me the final costs.

Thanks,

markgum

I would like the following:

10 Pink Ivory
10 Spalted Stinkwood
10 Coastal Red Milkwood
10 Quar Black Alder
I'm sure I'll reget not getting some of the others. If you need to add more to complete the box full. Let me know, but, I think they will all fit in a flat rate box with no or very little wiggle room.
thanks..

VisExp

Originally posted by bobskio2003

How many pen blanks you can get in a flat rate envelope depends on the size of the blanks. I can usually get 18 to 20 3/4 x 3/4 by 5.25 blanks in an envelope.
When are you planning on placing the order? Bob I.

Thanks Bob. The blanks are 3/4" x 3/4" x 6" so I am going to assume that we can fit 16 in an envelope. I plan on going to the post office today and picking up some envelopes and boxes to confirm.

I was thinking of closing the group buy next Monday, June 2nd.

Originally posted by mrplace

I received two samples of each species and that is all I have seen. I assume they are representative of what is in stock. I have sent an e-mail to Barry asking if he can confirm this.

Originally posted by markgum

I'm sure I'll reget not getting some of the others. If you need to add more to complete the box full. Let me know, but, I think they will all fit in a flat rate box with no or very little wiggle room.

Mark I'm guessing you can fit more than 40 blanks in a flat rate box. As mentioned above I will confirm later today.

VisExp

Originally posted by mrplace

I just received this e-mail reply from Barry

There will obviously be some variation in the blanks, but we have a whole stack of pink (red) ivory that look the same as that sample â€" cut from the same plank/tree.

VisExp

PM from NMDoug

Will you take a money order?
If so I would like a flat rate envelope full of:

2 spalted stinkwood
Balannce in Pink Ivory

Doug, I got your PM. A money order is fine. I have replied to your PM and have you down for 2 spalted stinkwood and 14 pink ivory. Thanks.

Tom McMillan

Hi Keith

I'd like the following: 2 Silky Oak, 2 Pink Ivory, 1 Wild Olive, 1 Coastal Red Milkwood, 1 White Milkwood, 2 Quar/Black Alder, 1 White Pear, 3 Forest Knobwood, and 1 White Stinkwood.

Please send me the total (including fees & shipping) to pay you by PayPal and the email to pay to & I can send payment.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Knobwood for only $1.20 per blank? Wow, for a buck, twenty I can post on the forum that I spent part of the weekend turning my knobwood! :D

Hey Guys - A bit of trivia. The Zulu name for the forest knobwood is umNungumabele which means "the breasts of the white women". On account of the woody, horn-like knobs that superficially resemble small, developing breasts. They reckon that white women just cannot compare with the black women when it comes to breast size.

markgum

Keith:
please update my order to include the following:

10 Forest Knobwood
10 Kiaat
10 Jacaranda

I know it won't fill a box; but I'll trust you to ship it the least expensive way; maybe stuff the box with paper etc.
thanks.

VisExp

Keith:
please update my order to include the following:

10 Forest Knobwood
10 Kiaat
10 Jacaranda

I know it won't fill a box; but I'll trust you to ship it the least expensive way; maybe stuff the box with paper etc.
thanks.

Got it Mark.

Thanks for rescuing the thread before it went to far south :D

VisExp

Originally posted by drferry

I'll take 10 of the spalted Stinkwood. I have a South African friend who would love that!

Thanks!

Got it David. Thank you.

Email from bobskio2003

Hi Keith,

Well I finally figured out what I’d like:
2 Red Milkwood
2 White Milkwood
4 Spalted Stinkwood
2 Quar
2 White Pear
2 Forest Knobwood
2 Jacaranda

I believe this then totals (with all the other fees) $26.28. If this is not correct please let me know. Also please send me your Paypal address and I’ll get you paid. One last thing, will all the blanks be labeled, because I’m not sure I’d be able to tell some of them apart. Thanks for doing this, Bob

Bob I'm working on a spreadsheet figuring out everyones totals and will be sending them out with my Paypal address in the next day or two. I'll check on the labelling and confirm with you, but I'm sure we can work something out :)

VisExp

Originally posted by NMDoug

Keith:

Can I change my order to include 4 umNungumabele, 2 spalted stinkwood and 10 pink ivory.

Thanks
Doug

Only if you can pronounce umNungumabele ;):D

No problem Doug. I got your change :)

VisExp

Last call for orders :D

I'll be closing this group buy at the end of today so if you would like to order anything please post here or send me a PM.

Paypal/money order requests have been sent to all who have ordered so far. Thanks for your participation everyone!

markgum

Hi Keith;
just curious if the order has been placed and if we have an estimate for the ship date. When it gets here it gets here, but just trying to plan.
thanks.

Hi All

An update from the coal face. Keith has placed the final order. I have had it all cut. I will be checking it all tomorrow, labelling the blanks and taking them for fumigation. We should ship by Monday or Tuesday next week.

Thanks for the interest and thanks to Keith for his efforts.

VisExp

Hi Keith;
just curious if the order has been placed and if we have an estimate for the ship date. When it gets here it gets here, but just trying to plan.
thanks.

Mark

Hopefully Barry's post answered your question. I did speak with Barry yesterday. My apologies, I neglected to relay the information to everyone via this thread [:I]

markgum

Originally posted by VisExp

Hi Keith;
thanks.

Mark

Hopefully Barry's post answered your question. I did speak with Barry yesterday. My apologies, I neglected to relay the information to everyone via this thread [:I]

Keith
yup got my answer. I appreciate your efforts, I know you like most of us are swamped with things to do.

VisExp

Originally posted by RDH79

Hi I will take 6--Tambotie and 10-- Wild Olive. Will send Paypal after you confirm the order and total. Thanks Rich H.

Originally posted by bruce119

I would like to get some wild olive & blackwood if I still can.
Thanks
Bruce

Sorry guys but this order has been placed already and the blanks are somewhere over the Atlantic right now. I guess I should have marked the title of the thread as closed. Sorry for any confusion.

VisExp

Just a quick update to let you know that the blanks have cleared the fumigation process and are scheduled to arrive in sunny Daytona Beach on July 2nd.

VisExp

A quick update. The good news is that the blanks are now in the United States. The bad news is that they were on there way to Dayton, Ohio instead of Daytona Beach, FL.

It seems the freight company, which receives the blanks after fumigation and then ships them, used the airport code DAY instead of DAB. One letter wrong and things end up thousands of miles from where they should be.

I spent a fair amount of time today on the phone with a very helpful British Airways Cargo representative. We managed to stop the blanks at Chicago en route to Dayton. They have now been put on a truck to Orlando. Unfortunately that is the closest office they have to me. As soon as I get word that they are in Orlando I will try to find the time to make the drive to pick them up.

My apologies for this delay.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Keith,

Should have left them in Chicago and let me know where to pick them up.

I'd take care of them, for you, as a special favor, of course!!!!![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

VisExp

Ed

I actually did look through all the people participating in the group buy to see if anyone lived in Illinois. I did not realize that you were so close [V] (I just looked up Racine on google maps).

Oh well, I'm sure every one else is relieved you won't be collecting them from O'Hare :D

PR_Princess

Darn....suppose I can stop practicing now.

One for me....one for the rest of the group
Two for me....one for the rest of the group
Three for me...

[}:)][}:)][}:)]:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Don't stop practising just yet!!!!!!!!!!! I'm on the phone again to the British Airways agent to see if the truck has left for Orlando.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom