Quick Sharpie Refill Tap Buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

arw01

granger has always been a little expensive

For those interested, this drill bit is $9.62
Grainger Item # 4HAZ7
Jobber Drill, Standard, General Purpose Grade, High Speed Steel, Black Oxide Finish, Conventional Point, Drill Point 118 Deg, Metric Size 11.20, Decimal Equivalent 0.4409, Flute Length 94 mm, Overall Length 142 mm, Shank Dia 11.20 mm

WW Granger tends to be a little high on such items. A local machine shop supply house might be half the price.

I happen to be at Grizzly this week, will have to see if they stock such an item as well.

juteck

rherrell

But what about the quality. I notice a BIG difference between my cheap H.F. set and my good Norseman drills. I am tired of the cheap stuff all these different names who has the quality.

I buy from these guys all the time. SUPER fast shipping and they have just about anything you want.

I haven't tried this particular drill but at least it's made in America, and the price is right.:wink:

http://tinyurl.com/yhd273y

One question though, isn't this drill a little big? My refills mic out at about .424". It seems to me that a 27/64 with MAYBE , or not, a little bit of filing would be a better choice. The 11.2mm would only leave .005" on the sides for threads.
I think I'll drill a 27/64" hole in a piece of scrap and see. I'll get back to ya'.:wink:

rherrell

I tried a 27/64" bit and it worked just fine. I drilled it on my lathe and tried it and it was just a tad tight. 30 seconds with a round file with the lathe on and I had a perfect fit.
As far as the cap goes, I don't like gluing parts on a pen so I found a real slick solution. A #4 pan head sheet metal screw fits inside the cap PERFECTLY. I drilled the cap blank 3/4" deep with a letter "U" bit, it's a snug fit but that's good. I drilled a clearance hole in the cap for the screw and a pilot hole in the blank and then screwed it in by hand. I used 1/2" long screws because that's what I had but 3/8" should be long enough. It works like a charm and I don't have to worry about the cap coming off in a customers hand.:mad:

nava1uni

Rick,
I am having difficulty visualizing what you did with the screw and cap. Can you take a picture of it. I am a visual learner and can not get my head wrapped around the words to create a picture. Thanks I appreciate it.

rherrell

Here you go Cindy................
attachment.jpg

Drill a letter "U" hole.....................
attachment.jpg

Drill a 1/16" pilot hole for the screw..............................
attachment.jpg

Drill a 1/8" hole in the cap...........................
attachment.jpg

Put the screw in the cap..............................
attachment.jpg

Voila! I haven't tried turning one yet but I don't see any problem with putting a dead center inside the cap and turning. In fact it will cause the blank to be turned true to the cap which is what you want.:wink::biggrin:

Attachments

• sharpie 002.jpg
    sharpie 002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 354
  • sharpie 003.jpg
    sharpie 003.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 359
  • sharpie 004.jpg
    sharpie 004.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 362
  • sharpie 005.jpg
    sharpie 005.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 362
  • sharpie 009.jpg
    sharpie 009.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 363

rjwolfe3

Forgive my ignorance if this was posted in a different thread but what is this tap for? I know it says sharpie refill but is there a post that shows one of these being made?

rjwolfe3

Thank you Bruce - I would like to make some of those for Christmas but didn't see this group buy until after it was over. Was gone for a few months. Maybe next time.

johnm

Tapsize

If a 1/2x20 is working, you are either making a hole that is too lose, and will have slop, or, as flimsy as the threads are on the refill, you are rethreading the refill/destroying the refill to get it in.

sdemars

Drill Bit Size - Final word . . .

Just curious, what is the FINAL word on the "best" size drill bit to buy to use with the taps that are coming. I have held off buying a drill bit to see what the consensus was on size.

Thanks
Steve

johnm

Drill Bit

I got the 11.2 in, i haven't used it. I'll try tonight and let you know if it's worth buying over the 7/16.

sdemars

The wife . .

The wife tells me that my tap has arrived . . .

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. What's the verdict on the optimum size drill bit . . ?

rherrell

Got mine too! Cindy, I don't know about consensus but I use a 27/64" bit. It's a few thou undersize but most of the time a drilled hole is a tad bigger anyway. If it's too snug I just hit it with a round file with the lathe on, takes about 30 seconds to get it right. The refill is tapered so you only have to enlarge the first 1/2" or so.:wink:

nava1uni

Got mine too! Cindy, I don't know about consensus but I use a 27/64" bit. It's a few thou undersize but most of the time a drilled hole is a tad bigger anyway. If it's too snug I just hit it with a round file with the lathe on, takes about 30 seconds to get it right. The refill is tapered so you only have to enlarge the first 1/2" or so.:wink:
Thanks for the answer I wanted to try making a pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom