Pen Mill Group Buy (As Promised)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Order was Placed yesterday,(ETA 30 days) After three failed attempts, one of those trying to make it on line. Western Union is a pain!!!!
Vera informed me that she submitted our order to manufacturing last Monday in anticipation of the order being placed. She actually reads this thread and knows how the buys work, often being one step ahead of me. At any rate that reduces the wait by about a week. She also said to expect it to take 30 days to arrive (Mid late March).
This will be the last group that has to wait that long to receive their orders. sets and both styles of heads will be available for immediate orders from now on. well that is the plan anyway. I also expect to eventually get individual pilots in stock in the coming months.
The group buy will be in the background for the most part so pointing out that there is a source for low cost mills and sets to the new members that are yet to come will be a huge help.

Closed to any more orders/
My Bad My Bad, i forget not everyone knows all the ins and outs about pen mills. rather than try and post a lot more info here I am placing this link to my web page that has really pretty pictures of mill sets, heads in both 4 blade and 6 blade versions etc. keep in mind that a set does come with a head already.
http://yourdonspens.com/Drill%20Bit%20Page.html

I have been saying that I expect to place a large order for pen mill sets and heads in February or March. well I now expect it to be in mid February.
Please make some noise on the other forums about this. I have had lots of requests for both sets and heads since running out from the last buy. I cannot possible contact everyone individually.
I will be ordering 100 sets and a total of 400 heads (200 of each type)

The min order is actually 500 of each head and I would like to get as close to that as possible.

So i am going to conduct a group buy for these for the next couple of weeks until my nickles and pennies get together and I am able to place my order.
same prices as before. so fire away.

6 blade pen mill cutter head $3.35ea plus postage. 3/4 inch Dia.
4- blade cutter head $3.35ea plus postage. 3/4 inch Dia.
Both cutter heads fit the straight 7mm pilot shank.
set $12.55 plus postage. set includes Cutter head, wrench, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 3/8" pilots.

Postage $5.25 (or lowest cost method)

Details Cutter head
Discount 80% compared to CSUSA (the quality of P.S.I. cutter heads are not comparable to these)
Cost of cutter head $1.75 Shipping per head est. at $0.30
Customs 5% $0.10
Customs Agent fee Est. $0.50
Bonded warehouse fee $0.20
Misc. Postage expenses $0.50 (bubble mailer)
Total cost per head $3.35
Default postage will be $5.25 ($4.80 USPS, $0.30 pay pal fee and 3% pay pal fee on the amount of $5.10) balance will be refunded or applied to any unforeseen expenses.
(est. based on order of 200 heads)

This is an overseas group buy, please expect long delays. these heads will have to be manufactured once the order is placed.

WANNA GET ON MY LIST?
well just post an order. I make it pretty easy.

My List
ME 100 sets, 200 4- blade heads, 200 6-blade heads PAID
hdbblue 2 sets, 2- 6 blade heads, 2- 4 blade heads PAID
keithkarl2007 2 sets, 2-6 blade heads PAID
Ned B 2 sets (6 blade) PAID
wolftat 2 sets 10 heads (All 6 blade) sent
jskeen Looking for a couple of 7mm pilots
W3DRM 4- 6 blade heads PAID
GeorgeM 2 sets 4 heads (All 6 blade) PAID
E-mail order (GH) 2 sets, 10 4-blade heads 10 6-blade heads PAID
JFeagans 2 sets, 2 heads all 6 blade PAID
ima_pseudonym 1 set 1 head both 6 blade PAID
yooperbird 2 6-blade heads PAID
Lanman 1 set 1 head both 6 blade PAID
RDH79 4 6-blade heads PAID
outfitter 2 sets, 2 heads all 6 blade sent
Glass Scratcher 1 set 5 heads all 4 blade PAID
joeatact Needs pilots
skywizzard 1 set 2 heads all 6 blade PAID
RHunter 1 set (4) and 2 heads (one each) PAID
hebertjo 3-6 blade heads PAID
Joe L 2 sets PAID
alphageek 6 heads (3 ea) PAID
dullbroadhead 2 sets 8 heads (4 ea) PAID
djz9 1 set 2 heads 6 blade PAID
tsoares 2- 6 blade heads PAID
Woodturner1 2 sets 8 heads (4 each) PAID
rb765 1 set 3 heads all 6 blade PAID
lwalden 4 heads 4 blade PAID
jack barnes 1 set 4 heads (2 ea) PAID
cbatzi01 1set PAID
polarbear1 1 set 2 heads all 6 blade PAID
PostalBob 4 sets (2ea) sent
GouletPens 2- 6 blade heads PAID
Skip_Evans 2 - 4 blade sets PAID
chuybregts 1 set 4 heads (2 ea) PAID
E-Mail (MS) 1 set 2- 6 blade heads sent
E-Mail (YH) 1 Set PAID
jbpaul 1 set 2 heads (6 blade), 3 heads (4 blade) PAID
mwaynick 1 set PAID
BKind2Anmls 1 set 5 heads PAID
jersey 2 sets (1ea) PAID
lpierce65 PAID
mesquiteguy PAID
MikeMcM1956 PAID
DanN PAID
Rarest wood PAID
mitchm PAID

Total order at this time.
38-6 blade sets
123-4 blade sets
290-6 blade heads
262-4 blade heads

This will also be the last group buy I do for cutter heads or pen mills. from now on I will independently keep them in stock.
It is also the last chance to get them at group buy prices. the sets and heads I am buying will be offered at a higher price. not a huge increase but I am going to get a return for my investment. once this buy closes prices will be.
$15.00 per set
$5.00 per head
as I have said before the extra money will actually go toward developing other products to have on hand at all times. I have two products at this time. this buy will make it 5.
Below is a photo of a set. the 4 piliots wrench and cutter head in front are what make up a set. the assembled mill in back is something that I left in the picture and a real good reason to kick myself now.

Attachments

• pen_mill_header1.jpg
    pen_mill_header1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

hdbblue

Thanks Daniel,

I'd like to order 2 sets and 2 - 4 blade heads and 2 - 6 blade heads.

Thanks,

Harvey

PS: I'm in Canada so adjust shipping as needed

Last edited:

keithkarl2007

i just missed the last one. can i get 2 sets and 2 6 blade heads.
Do the sets come with the 6 or 4 blade heads

Daniel

i just missed the last one. can i get 2 sets and 2 6 blade heads.
Do the sets come with the 6 or 4 blade heads
For those in the group buy you can pick what head you get with your set. My sets are going to be any head style and I will swap them as needed. Either way You will end up with what you want this time around there will be plenty of extras to sort things out with.

jskeen

A couple of quick questions early, so everybody knows. Do you plan to sell a cutter head with just a 7mm shaft? and, is the 7mm shaft stepped where the head joins, so as to avoid that annoying little ring of brass that slips into the gap between head and shaft? Either way, i'm in for at least 2 six blade heads (with 7mm shafts if available)

Not that I think the price for the set with the other shafts is unreasonable, I just refuse to find the wrench unchuck the mill loosen the set screw, swap shafts, tighten the screw, rechuck the mill and use, when i can just grab the appropriate sleeve out of the jar mounted to the shelf right next to the drill press, slide it into the blank, and go.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Daniel, I guess I will take 2 sets and 10 heads, it seems like the school shop is using more of my supplies than their own. Thanks

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Not that I think the price for the set with the other shafts is unreasonable, I just refuse to find the wrench unchuck the mill loosen the set screw, swap shafts, tighten the screw, rechuck the mill and use, when i can just grab the appropriate sleeve out of the jar mounted to the shelf right next to the drill press, slide it into the blank, and go.
I have all my shafts set up with heads on them so I don't have to change the head. It makes it a lot easier to do multiple pen types. The heads are cheap enough to keep them all set up. This is just my opinion though.

Dave_M

Thanks Daniel,
I'll take one set with the 6 blade cutter head and one additional 6 blade cutter head.

Much appreciated.
Dave

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
Count me in!

Daniel,

Please count me in for (1) 6 blade cutter, (1) 4 blade cutter and full set! :)

19.25 + postage is what I get...

I have to agree with you on the quality of the PSI Kit- it is a bit lacking. :frown:

I look forward to this, and thank you for offering it!

Last edited:

Daniel

I have sent PM with totals and payment info to everyone up to this post. there are several new names in the mix and a couple of them I noticed are very recently joined members. welcome to all of you and I am really thrilled that the group buy idea has become such an acceptable idea in a short amount of time. I have always had the impression in the past that people will sort of linger on the edges for a few months before deciding to give one a try. Anyway thank you all.
Now to business. If anyone has a problem with the pay pal method of payment. please let me know. you can either post here even if it is only to ask me a message or e-mail you. or PM or E-mail me.
any questions about the total you received please ask. I have made mistakes before I am sure I am not finished with that work.
Finally I want to make sure that everyone realizes that a cutter head already comes with a set. I always mention this point because I don't want anyone getting a set and then realizing they didn't really need that extra head. of course i worry about you and I personally own 23 cutter heads. 1 for each of my home made pilots.

Thanks again to everyone for a great start to this buy. It will be open for approx two weeks at least. I am waiting for Uncle Sam to give me my money back. Once he does I wil be wrapping this up which takes about 5 days to a week. I will then place the order. and from there it is an indefinite wait as the products actually have to be manufactured after the order is paid for.
There have been a few but not many of hte quality issues with these mills during this last buy. I am taking steps now to be able to test them quickly yet accurately and be able to cull out defects. It is my goal to get defects to the actualy buyer to zero.
This will be the first time I will actually have mills on hand to be able to replace defects as well.

Daniel

PM'S sent to everyone between this post and my last one.
For some of you the pm came from sassy mom. that is my wife. she jumped in this morning and is helping me get caught up. I decided to re write my spreedsheet int he middle of all this and had to enter all the orders in the new one. got a little busy there for a while.

rb765

I'll take at least one, but I might be able to save on postage to do a mini group buy with our local chapter. Will get back to you with my order ASAP.

Daniel

Ben, Yes there are some advantages to the 6 blade heads. the simple answer is that more cutting edges mean each edges is doing less work. dulling less per blank trimmed, and exerting less force on the wood as it cuts reducing the chance of tear outs etc.
there is a trade off for these advantages though. so here also are the disadvantages that I have seen or heard about.
more cutting edges means an increased chance that machining was not all that great. Keep in mind these are not precision machined tools. think nuts and bolts as far as quality in tolerances etc. they are not made to within 1/1000 of an inch by any means. and never will be.
also more cutting edges means more in the way as far as seeing what is going on as it mills. I find that I cannot see the brass tube with the 6 blade head like I can with the 4. so care needs to be taken that you do not over trim the blank.
finally more edges means less room for gullets. this is the size of the area allowed for the waste to get out of the way. simply put the 6 blade cutter is more likely to clog up while milling. so care needs to be given in this regard also.

In large the reports are that the 6 blade cutter is preferred as it seems to work smoother and with less effort than the 4. as an example the 6 blade cutter is selling 2 to1 in this buy over the 4 blade.

Last edited:

Daniel

Ruben, Local groups putting together there own buys is a really good idea. as long as the items can then be handed out at gatherings. I do not know just how much I can stuff into a flat rate box. I've never had an order that big yet. so bank on at least flat rate postage for whatever you put together.

rb765

The only response I received from our local buy was someone that already placed an order. So, put me down for 1 six blade set and 3 extra cutters. please let me know how much to paypal you. Thanks for doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom