OFFICIAL M14X.8 X 3 TAP/DIE SIGN UP THREAD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I will use this thread for the sign official up of the 14mm x .8 pitch x 3 lead tap and die set. I will close this on Sunday July 22th and order on Monday July 23rd

THe tap and die set 1-taper tap and 1- 1inch die will be $125.50
Until we hit the next level at 25+

If you sign up now you can pay as late as the 26th of July. (SUnday)

IF YOU want BOttom tap please indicate that as well. I will get back to you on the price determined by the amount of BOttom taps that are committed to.

The bottom tap will add $60.00 +/- to the $125.50 if we get 12 or more commitments on it.

MIke

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
1-Chugbug +bottom tap
2-TexatDurango
3-TomW
4-TImeBandit
5-rstought
6-dtswebb
7-wade45
8-rsjimenez
9-ragz
10-turbowagon
11-Borg B BOrg +bottoming tap
12- Curly +bottoming tap
13-mr burls
14-Mark D
15-gwd
16-Dan F

Last edited:

Curly

If the minimum of 12 for the price break is met. I will take 1 taper tap, 1 bottoming tap and 1 die.

If the minimum of 12 for price break is not met. I will take 2 taper taps and 1 die.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Aesthetics mostly, the size would more closely match larger diameter pens. You would have less of a step down from the larger diameter pen than if you used the 12mm tap and die set.

dtswebb

Mike -

I'm confirming my participation in this group buy for one tap and die set. I see you already posted my name on the list.

Please PM me when and where you want payment.

Thank you for doing this.

Matthew

Texatdurango

Help me understand the value of this set please. Does it match a kit or something?

In my mind, the "value" of the set is that it doesn't match any kit. The beauty is that it allows you to incorperate larger triple start threads into whatever size/type pen you desire with no kit constraints. A perfect companion to the smaller 12m set from previous buys.

Just think of the challenge and rewards of making a pen from scratch with no mandrels, tubes, bushings or press fit components.

chugbug

My thanks to everyone that participated to help make this buy possible. Special thanks to Mike for taking the lead and getting it up and running so quickly and efficiently.

Mike, I'm ok with how you have me listed. But... I only want the bottoming tap if we get the 12 minimum. If not, and I can get two, I'll take two of the tapered taps. Reason... I don't think I want to pay an additional $100 just for the bottoming tap. I liked the suggestion of grinding down the taper tap to make a bottom tap and think that will be more than adequete. If I can get the second taper tap, I'll go that route (now I wish I had a second M12 tap!).

Let me know when payment is needed.

John

chugbug

HEWUNCH...

I originally ask if anyone would be interested in this sized set because I use a similar size (in a single start) for some of the styles in my custom fountain pens. These are full custom pens--NOT kit pens. This set will not match up to any kit pens (that I am aware of)-- it would be strictly for custom pens.

If you would like to see any samples, go to my website (link below) and look at my "custom" fountain pens. The larger pens at the bottom of the page use this size.

Hope this helps...John

John E. Brady
JEB's PENs
www.jebspens.com

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
John, and those of you that indicate that a bottoming tap is a preference. If you sign up and indicate that you want a bottoming tap we can at least see if there is enough interest to order those taps in conjunction with the taper taps. If we dont get to 12, its very easy to order extra taper taps for those that would grind them down themselves. I didnt mean for it to be taken as a "set in stone" commitment. Its interesting that Tapco's policy is they are treated as a seperate item if they are not sold 1 to 1 with the taper taps. THe young lady who took the order stated they only have to adjust the end taper. OF course that may be easier said thean done.

Edit in; I will start collecting the money the third week of July starting the 18th through the 24th. You may pay earlier if it helps but its not neccesary.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
1-Chugbug +bottom tap
2-TexatDurango
3-TomW
4-TImeBandit
5-rstought
6-dtswebb
7-wade45
8-rsjimenez
9-ragz
10-turbowagon
12- Curly +bottoming tap.....+1.5 die size
13-mr burls
14-Mark D
15-gwd
16-Dan F
17-Its Virgill
18-rudya7
19-wizard
20-grampy122
21-043Turning......+bottoming tap......1.5die

I need to clarify that we will be ordering the set as a 1inch die and taper tap.

THe other options are IF we get enough members committed to them they will be ordered for those members only. Dont let the options confuse you if you dont want them.

Last edited:

chugbug

Mike, I'm still ok with that. Not backing away from it, just wanted to make sure you were aware of what I wanted to do since it was still up in the air. I want to have one with my set, whether we can get the 12 to buy them, or I have to get another taper and make it (but would be nicer to have it without the worry of messing up a good taper tap to get it).

I guess we won't really know until the majority get signed up or come closer to the end of the sign-up. If the cost isn't that much more I'm still good with it.

Thanks...John

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Best case is just to hang loose until the last Friday and then we can make decisions based on who wants what. I hate to throw in another option but if we have 12+ of each size die, either the 1 or the 1.5 you get the 12+ quantity price. There is no further discount past 12 units on the dies. There is no reason that we cant order some of both it just makes sorting it out a little more like work. Since this is a group buy for the members I don't see a reason not to consider all the options. IF you have only 6-12 dies of either size they are $7.00 more apiece than the 12 +quantity. That is not a deal breaker.

SO for right now. Sign up for a set, or a set plus a bottom tap if your so inclined. You may also indicate a preference for die size and I will keep tabs on the counts and the last weekend Friday to Sunday we will make firm decisions.

Mike

Curly

In that case Mike I would also prefer the bigger die option.

I measured the edge distance of the chip holes to the outside of the die on the 12mm die I got in the last swap and it is .090 to .100. Going up in size to 14mm would leave an edge distance of .050 to .060 (1mm being .039) if they use the same size chip holes.

While the 1" may be okay for plastics, I might want to have a go with the 7075, 7050 and 7055 aluminium scrap from the aircraft parts we make where I work. The later is almost as strong as mild steel and since busting the die would make the rest of the set pretty much useless I would like the bigger die please.

Texatdurango

Mike, Just a question, hoping it doesn't muddy the waters for anyone or give you a headache.....

Did I read somewhere that the tap prices above were for 12 to 24 quantity and that above 24 there was another price break?

If so and IF more folks sign up, since only three out of eighteen want the bottom tap, wouldn't it be better for the majority to get the price lowered on the taper tap by allowing the quantity to go beyond 24 than split the order between taper and bottom thus missing out on the extra price break?

Just thinking out loud! :)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Let me post the quote as best I can
Taps
6-8 .....$77.11each
9-11 .....$66.33
12-23....$55.66
24-47....49.61

Dies 1 inch

3-5.....$86.80
6-11....$64.40
12+.....$58.80

1 and 1/2 inch dies

3-5.....$93.80
6-11....$67.20
12+.....$60.20

There is room to maneuver depending on the final count for each option.

It will be cheaper to add the bottoming taps to the taper to raise the total if there are few bottom taps committed too and it raised the total taps into the next level. IF the few bottom taps committed to were not enough to raise the total into the next level it wouldn't make difference other than the plug taps could be quite a bit more money.

Most of the people who have indicate bottom taps have the caveat that we make the 12 unit level or they will just order extra taper taps.
We do not have to order the taps and dies in pairs. We can order different amounts of each.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
1-Chugbug +bottom tap
2-TexatDurango
3-TomW
4-TImeBandit
5-rstought
6-dtswebb
7-wade45
8-rsjimenez
9-ragz
10-turbowagon
13-mr burls
14-Mark D
15-gwd
16-Dan F
17-Its Virgill
18-rudya7
19-wizard
20-grampy122
22-joefyffe
23-evjenkins
24-Dave Turner

I need to clarify that we will be ordering the set as a 1inch die and taper tap.

THe other options are IF we get enough members committed to them they will be ordered for those members only. Dont let the options confuse you if you dont want them.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Mike,

I hope this doesn't make things confusing but after some thinking and getting my calipers out and seeing just how thin the walls are going to be on the 1" die I decided that the 1 1/2" die would be better for me so if we do order them in the $60 - $67 range please switch me over from 1" to 1 1/2"

I just made me a holder so hope we make the minimum. :)

Thanks

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
1-Chugbug +bottom tap
2-TexatDurango............+1.5 die
3-TomW
4-TImeBandit
5-rstought...................+1.5
6-dtswebb
7-wade45
8-rsjimenez
9-ragz
10-turbowagon
13-mr burls
14-Mark D.........................+1.5
15-gwd
16-Dan F
17-Its Virgill
18-rudya7
19-wizard
20-grampy122
22-joefyffe
23-evjenkins
24-Dave Turner
25-Jerryconn

Last edited:

MarkD

Mike, I tend to agree with George about the 1" die. So, if we can get them in the $60 - $67 range please switch me over from 1" to 1 1/2". If not I'll stick with the 1".

rstought

Passed Away Nov 11, 2016
In Memoriam
Mike...

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to jump on the 1.5" bandwagon as well, as it seems to make the most sense flexibility-wise (e.g. threading the parts, making mandrels, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom