Interest ? .... multi-start tap and die

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjudge

Forward research from the penturners.org folks have done the homework, so I'm trying to see if there is interest in pursuing this ...

Are there 10+ folks who would want to purchase a multi-start tap and die set for somewhere near $200 ?

I'd take the hit to coordinate, order, etc.

-- joe

Details

See link at bottom of this posting, for link to a penturners.org picture + discussion.

Tap and die are used to cut threads.
This would be for an El Grande pen cap to pen body ... unless we want to pick another style?

I contacted Bruce, who is happy to share their details of doing this.
At 10 sets, his price per tap/die set came down to $215.
Our price would probably be similar, if we chose a different size.
Our price would possibly be lower, if we chose that El Grande size, since the initial tooling is done.

Excerpt from Bruce (BRobbins629):

... for those who asked about the triple start taps and dies,
I am partially to blame. I sent off a coupler from the El Grande
to a company in Poland who has a sales office in Florida (E-taps.com).

They came back with a price of over $500 for a set. At ten sets, the price came to about $215 each including all shipping costs to the individuals.

I was very reluctant to offer a group buy at this price since they were still very pricey and I wasn't sure if they would even work. I found a few willing early tryers with no promises.

George was the first to post and he made us all smile. If someone wants to do a group buy on more, I feel very comfortable with the company and they appear to be quality tools. The ground work is done.

... from page 2 of this thread.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33406
</u>

jtate

Yep, I'd like to be in on it.

Could someone who has the set post pictures of the equipment - perhaps even in use? That would be great.

Julia

DaveM

I would be in. I have been playing with threading on a lathe, and the T/D set would be much better for making a number of pens.

One question. Do you mean that the diameter of the tap and die are compatible with the El Grande kit, or that the actual thread is compatible with the kit? Would a user need to thread both halves of a pen for it to work, or could he use the die to thread the body, and put the kit cap on? Either way, I am interested. Just curious. Most of the pens I want to make would not use any of the kit couplers or centerband parts.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by jtate

Yep, I'd like to be in on it.

Could someone who has the set post pictures of the equipment - perhaps even in use? That would be great.

Julia
Cutting the threads is really straight forward and as crude as my method is, I would be more than happy to share what I do if only to show that you can produce nice threads in pen bodies without the use of metal or CNC lathes.... AND it's a lot of fun!

If I get a chance I'll pop out to the shop this afternoon and take a few photos.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by DaveM

....One question. Do you mean that the diameter of the tap and die are compatible with the El Grande kit, or that the actual thread is compatible with the kit? Would a user need to thread both halves of a pen for it to work, or could he use the die to thread the body, and put the kit cap on?...
I hope this will help answer your questions....

The tap and die set will cut 100% compatible threads for both the El Grande and Ligero fountain pen kits. (At least all the ones I have dealt with so far and I don't know about the rollerball versions.) :)

#1 Uses a stock El Grande nib holder and brass ring which just glues into the acrylic blank, no brass tube to show through!

#2 Uses cut threads and the body is also tapped to accept the El Grande or Ligero nib holder*. Again, no brass tubes, these pens are VERY light!

#3 Is a cap with cut threads into the acrylic, no brass tube used and has an imbedded home made clip.

#4 Is a cap with cut threads into the acrylic, no brass tube used. The center band is made from a M3 Nickel Silver blank.

#5 Is a stock El Grande cap

The long and short of it is that each lower body and cap are 100% interchangeable both ways giving you many choices as to how to make your pen. You could cut a custom lower body and thread it onto a stock Ligero or El Grande cap or take a stock lower body and make a custom threaded cap.

*The Ligero nib holder itself is threaded and will thread into the cap cut with the new tap. You can turn the threads and part of the holder off and cover it with acrylic or wood to make a nice custom look.

200822219417_kitless%20pens.jpg

Dan_F

I'm interested in a tap and die set.

Does this way of mounting the front section have any effect on the inherent weakness of the El Grande/Churchill assembly that has been documented in other threads?

Is there an available source of these nib assemblies without buying the whole El Grande kit?

Dan

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Dan_F

I'm interested in a tap and die set.

Does this way of mounting the front section have any effect on the inherent weakness of the El Grande/Churchill assembly that has been documented in other threads?

Is there an available source of these nib assemblies without buying the whole El Grande kit?

Dan
I don't know about others but I have never read any threads where the weakness was discussed, and didn't even know there was a porblem.

As far as the sources, Arizona Silhouette sells the Berea #BHW-704 nib assemblies themselves from $4-$8 depending on width of nib.

Dan_F

Originally posted by Texatdurango

I don't know about others but I have never read any threads where the weakness was discussed, and didn't even know there was a problem.

As far as the sources, Arizona Silhouette sells the Berea #BHW-704 nib assemblies themselves from $4-$8 depending on width of nib.

There is a certain amount of controversy about this, but here is one thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32118

DaveM

Thanks for answering my question. I was hoping that was the case. I will mostly be making the #2 body and #4 cap, but it will be nice to have the other options. Now, I need to figure out how to tap for the sections to fit into the body, or how to turn the threads off, and press fit them. (That's the simple part compared to cutting the cap and body threads) With a simple small tap and die to fit the nib holder and the front of the barrel, and nib holders turned on the metal lathe, I could make rollerballs with no kit parts. (Except clips, left over from my CE pens) I could also turn fountain pens that just used a nib and feed assembly.

Thanks again,
Dave

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
This is the specification developed for the El Grande/Churchill. It was based on measurements taken by the company on a coupler I sent to them. When you ask for a quotation, you may tell them that its to the same specification that was made for my order and they may waive the special tooling charge for the die. Also note that you can buy 3 styles of tap - Taper, Plug or Bottoming. I chose the plug which is intermediate. Read up on the differences if you are interested, but know that the plug style works as you can see in Texatdurango's posts.

We are pleased to offer special metric tap(s) and die(s) M12.0x0.8Px2.4L triple start per sample provided as follows:

SPECIFICATIONS:
- material of tools: M2 (HSS) steel
- ground thread and shank
- thread tolerances assumed: 6H
- taps: Taper, Plug or Bottoming (specify when ordering)
- straight flute
- die(s) are circular, split, adjustable with 1" OD
- for dies one time special tooling charge of $65.00
- special orders are not refundable not returnable

20082230143_TapandDie.jpg

jjudge

George, Bruce -- thanks for the extra info, pictures and explanation.

8 postings of interest here + 1 via email + me = 10 interested parties

I'll connect with Bruce off-line, get the details, and start contacting the e-taps.com folks.
I'll post info/status here.

-- joe

kirkfranks

Joe,
As a purchasing professional I would like to suggest that you might want to ask the supplier to provide pricing at higher price breaks also. You got 10 folks interested in less than 12 hours. You might get that number up to 20 or more in only a couple of days and the price may go down a good bit. It is worth asking about other quantities. What qty would it take to get down to $150.00 range?
I have assumed that you do not already have that information because I did not remember seeing it posted. If I am wrong on that I apologize in advance.

Firefyter-emt

Man would I!! But funding does not allow it... [V]

Dan_F to answer your question, this would end the problem of the Churchill breakage, in fact if you took a Churchill kit and if this tap & die is designed on the Churchill threads, I assume that you could thread the body of a Churchill and use the cap centerband to thread onto the body and keep the look of a Churchill, but greatly improve it with a threaded body. (Edit: This was infact covered in the photos, but I missed it..)

This is a milsetone in these kit pens guys... Maybe someday I can get one myself. Thanks to all those who worked on this to make it happen!

I am curious about the nib coupler threads though, what do you use for a tap on that? Is it a single start thread?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt

I am curious about the nib coupler threads though, what do you use for a tap on that? Is it a single start thread?
Works with a single start 10mm x 1mm metric tap.

jjudge

Info
There are some folks like me ... interested, but the $200-ish price tag is scary. I can't promise, but I'll try to figure something out (e.g., break the orders into 2, but for total quantity discount, or I'll front the $$ for a month wait time; or something)

So, let me know if you are interested, can't make this purchase, but could in a month (or so).

Status
23 Feb 2008, Saturday

I sent off email to the point of contact, asking for both:

(1) pricing on the existing set that Bruce pioneered in a couple quantity steps (1, 10, 20, etc).

and

(2) "What if" we were to kick up a smaller, new set?
(assume: 1, 10, 20 quantity) ... for potential future Jr Gent or Barons.

--joe

Ligget

[quote

(2) "What if" we were to kick up a smaller, new set?
(assume: 1, 10, 20 quantity) ... for potential future Jr Gent or Barons.

--joe

[/quote]

I would love a smaller set too for Jr Gent or Barons, hope this takes off too![:p]

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I would be interested in both sets.

GK
What a way to "celebrate" my thousandth post: a $400 commit to purchase more pen turning tools!! :D Let's hope my wife doesn't see this until after I've made a pen to show off! [:eek:)]

jjudge

Quick status

I got a Sunday reply from the e-taps.com contact.
Prices may be higher by 3-6% due to dollar-to-zloty rate changes.
But, I'm guessing that if we have larger numbers than Bruce pursued then we'd still be cheaper because of the price-break.
I'll have confirmed prices on Monday.

Giving up on the smaller set, for now
in re: smaller set
e-taps.com confirmed the same info that Bruce gave (e.g., longer time, send example to Poland, initial tooling cost).
The interest seems is there (but small) for the smaller sized set.
So, I'll leave that for a future group purchase ...

-- joe

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
If I understand this the tap and die are for the cap and the body of the pen. If I understand there is another die needed for the tip to go into the body. Do we buy that separte or is there another die included in the kit?

jjudge

Actual purchase posting: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34016
I'll email folks -- post your actual purchase request to the new posting.

OK ... I think I have all the numbers.
I got the quote from e-taps and I chatted a bit with Bruce.

It looks like: $129 + $66, for threading cap/body
and an optional ~$6 tap if you want to cut nib holder threads

Details:

For El Grande style pen:

- Tap to thread the cap
M12.0x0.8Px2.4L triple start tap(s)as described above:
3-5 pc $193.00 each
6-9 pc $149.00 each
10-23 pc $129.00 each

- Die to thread the body
M12.0x0.8Px2.4L triple start die(s)as described above:
3-5 pc $102.00 each
6-9 pc $ 71.00 each
10-23 pc $ 66.00 each

- Optional tap for inside the body
For tapping the inside of the body to hold the nib, you may want to also pick up a tap. I'll get a quote from e-taps (sorry, I forgot to ask). Bruce pointed me to this example:
http://tinyurl.com/2o7wgm
10mm x 1.0 mm plug tap ... approx $5 to $6

-- joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom