Interest in Direct Buy - Imperials/Lotus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenMan1

A couple of folks sort of indicated they were going to try to talk with DAYACOM and maybe work something up with respect to buying from them...have any of these conversations panned out ... or even taken place yet?

I exchanged 7 emails with the folks from Dayacom with no inference that I was speaking for the IAP, but as a private business person. I was actually evaluating the potential for becoming a U.S. distributor for their high end pens. According to them, they do not have anyone here any longer that handles their entire line.

The main concerns that I presented to them was
- the fact that at any order level, we are required to pay for everything up front prior to the order being placed
- the concern about the shipping insurance and/or lack of guarantee of
delivery.

Their response was
- that is the way they do business - period. They do not want to hear anything about 1/2 up front or upon shipment or placing the money in a third party escrow account for performance distribution. Nor do they care about the fact
that they have their money/profit before the order is even placed. They take their cut then send in the order. Delivery time is in the hands of the
manufacturer.

- they would not address the concern about shipping time nor insurance. The order ships directly from the manufacturer. They said if there is a problem, they would help but they stopped short of any commitments. A lost or
damaged order could realistically take months to get corrected, as would any shortages that may occur.

I also spoke with one of the folks overseas who distributes their product line and was told that Dayacom is very difficult to deal with. I also went down to
the CSUSA office and was told pretty much the same thing from them which influenced them to curtail their involvement with Dayacom. Basically it is their
way or no way, which they are entitled to do as they feel best, but it seems to limit the pool of folks willing to take the risks involved with being a product line distributor.

They accept absolutely no risk and seemingly very little responsibility. It is all on the shoulders of the buyer. Regardless of the length of the relationship, if
the buyer has paid all costs up front, it is simply a buy-sell accomodation. In view of this, I backed away.

Regards,
Bob

Welcome the butt your head against the Brock wall club, Bob!

Dayacom may very well "policy" themselves right out of business! I, like CUSA, am to the point of not caring what becomes of Dayacom.

Thanks for your efforts. Now, I am sure that you know Dayacom does NOT care about doing business with us. That could be a tragedy for them as 9000 pen makers from around the world WILL find alternative suppliers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Heck

Andy, I cannot thank you enough for the time and effort you put into this project. As a one of the group, we all understand the total picture of your labors.

Dayacom has their way of doing business that is very different than most companies. I have never used the product but wonder what type of customer service the end user would receive if there was a problem?

This leaves the door of opportunity wide open for a company to produce and sell a similar product.

Andy, once again THANK YOU for your time and effort with the group purchase. We all have learned, thanks to you.

bobleibo

A couple of folks sort of indicated they were going to try to talk with DAYACOM and maybe work something up with respect to buying from them...have any of these conversations panned out ... or even taken place yet?

I exchanged 7 emails with the folks from Dayacom with no inference that I was speaking for the IAP, but as a private business person. I was actually evaluating the potential for becoming a U.S. distributor for their high end pens. According to them, they do not have anyone here any longer that handles their entire line.

- the fact that at any order level, we are required to pay for everything up front prior to the order being placed
delivery.

Their response was
- that is the way they do business - period. They do not want to hear anything about 1/2 up front or upon shipment or placing the money in a third party escrow account for performance distribution. Nor do they care about the fact
that they have their money/profit before the order is even placed. They take their cut then send in the order. Delivery time is in the hands of the
manufacturer.

- they would not address the concern about shipping time nor insurance. The order ships directly from the manufacturer. They said if there is a problem, they would help but they stopped short of any commitments. A lost or
damaged order could realistically take months to get corrected, as would any shortages that may occur.

I also spoke with one of the folks overseas who distributes their product line and was told that Dayacom is very difficult to deal with. I also went down to
the CSUSA office and was told pretty much the same thing from them which influenced them to curtail their involvement with Dayacom. Basically it is their
way or no way, which they are entitled to do as they feel best, but it seems to limit the pool of folks willing to take the risks involved with being a product line distributor.

They accept absolutely no risk and seemingly very little responsibility. It is all on the shoulders of the buyer. Regardless of the length of the relationship, if
the buyer has paid all costs up front, it is simply a buy-sell accomodation. In view of this, I backed away.

Regards,
Bob

Dayacom may very well "policy" themselves right out of business! I, like CUSA, am to the point of not caring what becomes of Dayacom.

Thanks for your efforts. Now, I am sure that you know Dayacom does NOT care about doing business with us. That could be a tragedy for them as 9000 pen makers from around the world WILL find alternative suppliers.

You are 1,000% correct about their business acumen. Hopefully they will realize the potential and make some changes. Until they do, the US market will be very minimal to them. Maybe they are ok with that??
I contacted Gary Powers in Australia who is a Dayacom distributor about quantity purchases thru them. They were very nice but by the time you add on the shipping, insurance and various customs fees, it was not worth the price...and they were willing to give discounts on quantity orders. I'd be curious about who the actual manufacturer is and if there may some possible inroads to them, thus bypassing Dayacom.

Oh, well. Guess it was just not meant to be.....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks

Thanks, for the input. one would assume they are not going to sell many kits into a very large market....Well maybe that is what they want. 5 gets you 10 If someone can get one of their kits they can get the Chinese to make and market it.... And for less money.

jttheclockman

delivery.

Their response was
manufacturer.

Regards,
Bob

You are 1,000% correct about their business acumen. Hopefully they will realize the potential and make some changes. Until they do, the US market will be very minimal to them. Maybe they are ok with that??
I contacted Gary Powers in Australia who is a Dayacom distributor about quantity purchases thru them. They were very nice but by the time you add on the shipping, insurance and various customs fees, it was not worth the price...and they were willing to give discounts on quantity orders. I'd be curious about who the actual manufacturer is and if there may some possible inroads to them, thus bypassing Dayacom.

Oh, well. Guess it was just not meant to be.....

I too have contacted them but spoke on conditions put forth by this forum and too were told the same things. I made it as clear as I could they were missing out on an oportunity to not only make money on this deal but future deals. It is a no win situation and the point about customer service after you bought the kits is a good one and should be thought of. It is ashame this could not have worked out. They do have some nice kits but there are others out there and to me the Cambridge is in that catagory. I thank all for giving it a try also.

OKLAHOMAN

In light of what we're reading CSUSA will no longer be doing business with Dayacom? If that's true looks like I'll have to change my marketing strategies. For the last few years I've marketed the complete Jr. series. Guess I'll contact Ben @ CSUSA.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I also spoke with one of the folks overseas who distributes their product line and was told that Dayacom is very difficult to deal with. I also went down to the CSUSA office and was told pretty much the same thing from them which influenced them to curtail their involvement with Dayacom. Basically it is their way or no way, which they are entitled to do as they feel best, but it seems to limit the pool of folks willing to take the risks involved with being a product line distributor.
I have to say that if you were asking me questions about my suppliers and wanted to be my business competition, I may not give you the full details of how my business is with others, that would be a foolish move. As far as it being their way or no way, that sounds a lot like many of the suppliers we deal with all the time and continue to do business with "their way".

rbruce2u

I wonder if these pens have any kind of copyright attached to them, I would assume that either Berea or CSUSA or PSI have contacts that could either copy or improve on the designs we want. I know I for one will no longer purchase kits made by Dayacom, with the lack of customer service it speaks volumes about their company, what if they have a bad run on plating or parts don't fit correctly or the wrong parts are in the kits there goes the high end pen you just spent time and materials creating with no recourse. I do not blame our dealers for not using Daycom as a supplier. Just in MHO.

Bob

bobleibo

I also spoke with one of the folks overseas who distributes their product line and was told that Dayacom is very difficult to deal with. I also went down to the CSUSA office and was told pretty much the same thing from them which influenced them to curtail their involvement with Dayacom. Basically it is their way or no way, which they are entitled to do as they feel best, but it seems to limit the pool of folks willing to take the risks involved with being a product line distributor.
I have to say that if you were asking me questions about my suppliers and wanted to be my business competition, I may not give you the full details of how my business is with others, that would be a foolish move. As far as it being their way or no way, that sounds a lot like many of the suppliers we deal with all the time and continue to do business with "their way".

Neil
Sorry if it sounded that way. I was not asking about their business plan, which is none of my business and totally agree with your comments. As far as "their way....", in my opinion (for what little that is worth), I have seen many companies over the years suffer, struggle or go out of business completely due to them being unyielding to other ideas. Again, that it totally their right to do so, however, if their way limits their scope, change or adjustment might be warranted if they are loking for any growth.
The one thing we enjoy is our ability to make choices regardless of where they may lead us.
Cheers
Bob

OKLAHOMAN

Ok, I've heard from Mr. Ben Williams general manager of CSUSA. He has assured me that their relationship with Dayacom is strong and that they only dropped the high end components because of slow sales but will be keeping the Jr. series of components as they are some of the best sellers that they have..He also stated that he has asked some of his staff to join the IAP to keep us informed and also get a handle of our wants.
I remember a few years ago that we had a member of CSUSA on board and posted regularly.

Last edited:

turff49

My guess is, if there is a large enough Group purchase put together, that CSUSA would probably handle that through Dayacom. They might not carry the higher end kits on a regular basis because of slow sales but very well may do special group purchases of those kits if they know 90% of them are already sold. Might even be worth discussing with CSUSA to see if they would entertain the idea.

jttheclockman

My guess is, if there is a large enough Group purchase put together, that CSUSA would probably handle that through Dayacom. They might not carry the higher end kits on a regular basis because of slow sales but very well may do special group purchases of those kits if they know 90% of them are already sold. Might even be worth discussing with CSUSA to see if they would entertain the idea.

They would not pass on the savings for the amount ordered. If you buy direct from Dayacom you would get that savings.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My problem....

My problem is this. From what we have been told, Daycom is providing nothing.

We order from them and pay them but if something goes bad, they are out of the loop. It sounds like on the smaller orders they don't even get involved with quality control like they do on larger orders.

In short, they are getting paid for nothing more than submitting our order to some unknown entity and are adding no value to the transaction.

I had been told that on the higher MOQ they were getting the parts made and assembling the kits with tight quality controls and they guaranteed the kits. This sounds like they've abandoned with the Retail Quantity orders and if there are any warranty problems the buyer is left hanging.

mikecaracappa

I also contacted CSUSA and received a long letter from Ben. He told me that they were looking into selling High End Pens from another manufacturer. I told him that they should have secured a manufacturer before eliminating all there High End Pens from Dayacom. I also told him that CSUSA is going in the wrong direction buy selling Apprentice pens in the Jr. Gents 2. They are not the quality of Rhodium or Black Titanium.

As I had mentioned before Dayacom allowed me to purchase 15 Lotus rollerball in Rhodium/Black Titanium. A one time offer. I paid through PayPal 720.00 and received them in under 3 weeks. They mailed it Express Mail. I see no problems in ordering 30 pens from them. I mostly sell Lotus Rhodium/ Black Titanium. I am hoping Exotic penblanks carries the Lotus line. I would like to order some Rhodium/22k from them. Mike

turff49

Not a bad price really. If that price was including shipping then that breaks down to only 48.00 per pen. Seems like a fair price. And is 7-12 dollars per pen kit cheaper than what was listed at the beginning of this thread. I might have to go this route next time I can drop that kind of cash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom