Group buy: taps to match the Sharpie Fine Point Refill #1751000

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

duncsuss

Folks, we are now at 30 pieces.

Everyone who expressed interest during the Group Pruchase Research phase has signed up in this thread, as have several more.

Anyone object if I close the sign-up tomorrow evening? I'll then be able to work out how much each person has to pay into the kitty and there will be a few days for the settling-up process, the target being to have all the bills paid before the turkey messes with everybody's heads :biggrin:

Those folks who live outside the USA, please think about the type of shipping you'd prefer.

Here's the sign-up chart: please correct me if I have your order wrong.

Code:
DuncSuss        1 bottom        1 plug
ChathamPenWorks 1 bottom        1 plug
BSea            1 bottom        1 plug
JDennis         1 plug
Chuck Key                       1 plug
Cmiles1985      1 bottom        1 plug
Alex D          1 plug
Grampy122       1 bottom        1 plug
Curly           1 bottom        2 plug
papaturner                      1 plug
toddlajoie                      1 plug
Crashmph                        1 plug
killer-beez     1 bottom        1 plug
lwalden         1 bottom        1 plug
KenV                            1 plug
Brooks803                       1 plug
Lorbay                          1 plug
Ron Blais                       1 plug
Dan Sills                       1 plug
Manik                           1 plug
Mintman                         1 plug

Curly

If it doesn't break the group buy rules, I'm okay with an early closing, but add another plug tap to my order to reassign it to someone that comes late. If there isn't a late comer it can also go to the Bash.

So 3 plug taps and 1 bottom tap for me please.

Pete

duncsuss

If it doesn't break the group buy rules, I'm okay with an early closing, but add another plug tap to my order to reassign it to someone that comes late. If there isn't a late comer it can also go to the Bash.

So 3 plug taps and 1 bottom tap for me please.

Pete

Sure thing -- 3 plugs 1 bottom tap.

duncsuss

I checked with Monty. Early closing is okay by him, and since everybody who responded on the "research" thread has jumped in on the buy I reckon all "obligations" are fulfilled.

Sign-up for this buy is now closed.

I'm going to contact Tapco again just to make sure the numbers are right, then I'll contact each of you with details of your share of the costs by PM.

Curly

Duncan don't forget to ask Tapco what the tap drill size is and perhaps request it be etched on the tap when they etch the thread information. :) Useful for us perpetually confused. :confused:

duncsuss

Duncan don't forget to ask Tapco what the tap drill size is and perhaps request it be etched on the tap when they etch the thread information. :) Useful for us perpetually confused. :confused:

From the last time there was a group buy of this tap ... LINK

I used it with a 7/16 bit. The fit is very tight, there is no slop for the refill to wobble. infact, she is supposed to be sending me a .441 bit that is a slight bit bigger than 7/16 and smaller than 29/64, which should give a bit more clearance for the refill. Either way, using a 7/16 is just fine.

I have not spoken to the Tapco rep about this yet, just throwing it out there for those of you who are getting antsy :biggrin:

duncsuss

The Tapco rep says:

If you are controlling the minor diameter of the tap the reference drilled hole size would be the minor you are calling out.
the minor is controlled by the drilled hole size. which would be approx 70% of theorical thread in this case.
These are for reference only an we assume no responsibility as actual results can vary.

we would be running minor to .4148 +.000 -.001

In other words ... your guess is as good as mine. Check the other thread I linked to in my previous post.

:biggrin:

duncsuss

i guess if anyone wants to back out, then i would like their spot. I cant believe i didnt catch this group buy

Seamus -- you are the only lucky winner of the "late to the group buy, if anyone wants to drop out" ticket :biggrin:

Curly ordered "a spare" in case somebody came along late ... you'll be getting a PM from me in a few short minutes with details of how much and how to pay for your tap.

duncsuss

i guess if anyone wants to back out, then i would like their spot. I cant believe i didnt catch this group buy

Seamus -- you are the only lucky winner of the "late to the group buy, if anyone wants to drop out" ticket :biggrin:

Curly ordered "a spare" in case somebody came along late ... you'll be getting a PM from me in a few short minutes with details of how much and how to pay for your tap.

Seamus -- I just sent you the PM with payment details, etc.

duncsuss

Dansills has decided not to join in the group buy. This doesn't have a huge impact on cost so long as everyone else stays in the buy.

If anyone else is thinking about pulling out, PLEASE SPEAK UP!

It will mean getting a revised quote from Tapco, the shipping costs will have to be recomputed, and those folks who have already paid might have to be asked to contribute a little more.

Curly

Hey Duncan! I just sent you my payment and you haven't amended the "... # to go ..." countdown yet. :mad:
Sleeping is not an acceptable excuse either. :biggrin:

Curly

The Tapco rep says:

If you are controlling the minor diameter of the tap the reference drilled hole size would be the minor you are calling out.
the minor is controlled by the drilled hole size. which would be approx 70% of theorical thread in this case.
These are for reference only an we assume no responsibility as actual results can vary.

we would be running minor to .4148 +.000 -.001

In other words ... your guess is as good as mine. Check the other thread I linked to in my previous post.

:biggrin:

I have the iMachinist app and it calculates a .415027 tap hole using 70%. :) I just wasn't sure of the percentage to use.
I have all the drill sizes mentioned in the last buy thread you linked to. The 11.2mm is what I use for the 12mm triple so that is handy.

duncsuss

Hey Duncan! I just sent you my payment and you haven't amended the "... # to go ..." countdown yet. :mad:
Sleeping is not an acceptable excuse either. :biggrin:

What if I said I was turning? :rolleyes:

(I wasn't, just wondering if that's a valid excuse :biggrin:)

... 7 to go ...

duncsuss

The order is placed. Delivery not yet specified, I'll update as soon as I get word from Tapco.

(I figure that I'd be able to find a taker for one tap if the remaining member backs out.)

duncsuss

No figuring needed. It is, after all, how this buy began. You could probably get several and find home for them within a month. :wink:

Oh, it crossed my mind ... but that would move it out of the realm of "group buy" into the realm of "commercial venture", and I simply wasn't interested in going down that path.

duncsuss

If you have one extra ill take it...

At this time, I don't believe there are any ordered which aren't spoken for. One person has not yet paid, but I expect he will.

If he chooses to back out, I'll keep you in mind for the spot that opens up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom