Double Start Taps and Dies in M10 and M12

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timebandit

Do you guys who are ordering 2 taps in the same size think that the bottom tap will have a hard time cutting threads on its own?

Dan, i dont think the bottom tap will have trouble cutting threads on its own, at least not in soft material, but it might have a little trouble starting on its own. There is no taper at all on the tap, so there is nothing to help guide it into the whole or keep it nice and straight and start the threads slowly. Its meant to follow in another taps already threads and cut to the bottom of a hole. Its not designed as a starter tap. Its going to take full depth cuts right away. I might be worried about it cracking more fragile materials by just going all in rather than doing it slowly with the tapered tap. Not that it wont work, i havent tried it. Just going off of what i know about taps.

its_virgil

I too would like to revise my order placed in post #3: I would like the M10 second and bottom tap and the M10 die. I would also like to order the M12 second and bottom tap and the M12 die. Thanks for doing this and for getting info on ordering both tap types.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Grampy122

One set of each size.

Add me up for the M10 and M12 tap and die set to include a bottoming tap and second tap in each size please.

M10 bottoming tap
M10 second tap
M10 die
M12 bottoming tap
M12 second tap
M12 die

Silver

As agreed I'm in for M10 and M12 double set

And can you out the M10 bottoming and the M12 bottoming taps please?

Thanks.

Last edited:

jyreene

It seems the term "plug tap" is ambiguous. Some people use it to mean "bottom tap", others use it to mean "second tap" (the intermediate between taper and bottom taps).

I'd be happy with either bottom taps or second taps -- I don't think it's necessary to have a long taper for the plastics I'll be using these on.

You can have either or both. Let me know which and I'll mark you down.

may i order a 12mm triple start set of tap/die?

Unfortunately this is a double start buy. I believe SilverPenParts has triples in stock either now or soon (not trying to plug just what I've read).

As agreed I'm in for M10 and M12 double set

And can you out the M10 bottoming and the M12 bottoming taps please?

Thanks.

Added the bottoming taps to yours.

duncsuss

It seems the term "plug tap" is ambiguous. Some people use it to mean "bottom tap", others use it to mean "second tap" (the intermediate between taper and bottom taps).

I'd be happy with either bottom taps or second taps -- I don't think it's necessary to have a long taper for the plastics I'll be using these on.

You can have either or both. Let me know which and I'll mark you down.

I'll go for the second taps rather than the bottom taps.

(I really wish I could stretch the budget to get both, of course, but that's not possible at this time.)

jyreene

All,

Looks like shipping to me, if it had stayed at the 12 sets of M10 and 12 sets of M12 would have been $20. They said it will be a little more weight so it will cost a little more since they ship based off of weight. So that won't add much to the overall cost, less than a dollar.

I've attached the spreadsheet so far. It uses open office so some of you may not be able to see it. I've also saved an excel version but am unsure if the formatting will stay since Open Office files won't upload here. Green means they have posted in this thread, yellow has not.

I currently have not heard from the following original group research members:

Duncsuss (I've heard from him I'm just waiting on the tap choice)
ChrisN
Seamus7227
signguy
bsea
dansills
Dan Masshardt (I know he is researching which tap he wants)
Mintman

This is current as of Monday, August 8, 2014 at 4:20PM Eastern

Attachments

• Group Buy Official - excel version.xls
    10.5 KB · Views: 196

jyreene

Something I want to make sure everyone is clear on, the plug tap (or second tap) is generally the tap that is used for pens (as far as I have seen and been told). If everyone that currently has taper selected wants to change to plug let me know. It's honestly what I would recommend because of our application.

Here are the ones that have Taper (only)
ChrisN
Seamus7227
signguy
bsea
dansills
Adillo303
MikeL
KenBrasier
cajunskeeter
Twinturbine

If you want the Plug tap let me know.

I'll assume the ones that want just a bottom or want the bottom and a taper know exactly what they want if only because I'm still learning.

Timebandit

Something I want to make sure everyone is clear on, the plug tap (or second tap) is generally the tap that is used for pens (as far as I have seen and been told). If everyone that currently has taper selected wants to change to plug let me know. It's honestly what I would recommend because of our application.

Where is this info from Ty? From what i can see looking back at all the previous group buys for these, is that they are all tapered taps, other than the one group buy that Mredburn did for the 13mm triple start, they were plug taps. All other threads specify a tapered tap. I got in on two of the 12mm triple buys and one of the one of the 14mm tripple buys, and they were all tapered taps. So im assuming that the ones that i own are tapered taps, which means all the pens that ive made were with tapered taps. Who said the plug tap is generally the tap used for pens?

jyreene

Justin, it's honestly in the interaction with the company that is making them and with the few pen makers that taught me how to make kitless pens. The recommended taps that were emailed to me all pointed to plug type.

More specifically from the tap and die company is that plug style is the most common chamfer lead for through holes and works really well. They did say that taper style work well for them too but are not as commonly used.

Not trying to change anyone's mind I just want to make sure everyone truly gets what they want and are satisfied.

Timebandit

Justin, it's honestly in the interaction with the company that is making them and with the few pen makers that taught me how to make kitless pens. The recommended taps that were emailed to me all pointed to plug type.

More specifically from the tap and die company is that plug style is the most common chamfer lead for through holes and works really well. They did say that taper style work well for them too but are not as commonly used.

Not trying to change anyone's mind I just want to make sure everyone truly gets what they want and are satisfied.

Gotcha, was just curious. I wish Mike Redburn would chime in on this, as he has run most of the group buys on these, and also stocks them on his site. Only one set he sells specifies that its a plug tap, so im assuming the others he sells are tapered like we purchased in the past. I might PM him and see if he will chime in to help us out. Im not buying in on this, but i also want to make sure that everyone gets what they want and im also just a little curious.

jyreene

No worries Justin. I appreciate all the help I can get especially when it comes to kitless. I know I learned on plug but they were single start. Hope Mike chimes in too.

MikeL

The primary purpose for me is pen making. If plug is best then that is what I would like. I've bought from mredburn and victornet ( I think that what they are called) and it seems they were tapered. But, I am good with what is best so switch my request to plug please. Thanks

Here are the ones that have Taper (only)
ChrisN
Seamus7227
signguy
bsea
dansills
Adillo303
MikeL
KenBrasier
cajunskeeter
Twinturbine

If you want the Plug tap let me know.

I'll assume the ones that want just a bottom or want the bottom and a taper know exactly what they want if only because I'm still learning.

Carl Fisher

Y'all are confusing me with this taper/plug thing.

I want whichever is the one we normally get when we order from places like Indy~Pen~Dance and Classic Nib. They have a slight taper at the start to get started but it's not overly long.

so if that's "plug" then change both of mine to plug.

jyreene

Okay, so to make it very clear would the following please specify if they want a tapered, plug (second), or bottom tap.

M10:
Adilloo303
JDennis
Ken Brasier
cajun skeeter
twintrubine
silver - can you just confirm your whole order
ChrisN
Seamus7227
signguy
Bsea
dansills

M12:
Adillo303
JDennis
cajun skeeter
twinturbine
silver - same as above
ChrisN
seamus7227
signguy
Bsea
dansills
Dan Masshardt
mintman

And from here on please specify which type of tap you want. I've also attached the final spread sheet of today. My wife and Brooks803 confirmed the numbers.

Attachments

• Group Buy Official - excel version.xls
    10 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Ironwood

I am thinking I would like to get into this group buy.
Is there still time for me to add my name to the list ?
Just have to decide if I want both sizes, and I would need mine shipped to Australia if I am in.

duncsuss

I am thinking I would like to get into this group buy.
Is there still time for me to add my name to the list ?
Just have to decide if I want both sizes, and I would need mine shipped to Australia if I am in.

Jump in -- the more the merrier :biggrin:

(but please don't spend too long deciding which ones you want)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom