Double Start Taps and Dies in M10 and M12

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jyreene

Okay all, I've gotten permission to move this from Group Buy Research to Group Buy.

Using the numbers from the Group Buy Stickie:

1 – I have my name city and state in my profile (and have for a while)
2 – I am currently getting the shipping charge to me from the company. Once I get this I will add it here and update the overall cost shipped to me. Should be in Monday. The current cost break down per tap and die is further in this post. This will not include shipping to anyone here as I don't have everyone's addresses (which is understandable until this is a definite go and moved to the group purchase and I start collecting funds but it will likely by flat rate boxes (I've already contacted the overseas buyer and worked out a rough shipping with him).
3 – This is the announcement

A – Items will be M10 Double Start Tap and Die and M12 Double Start Tap and Die
B – Cost for 1 tap and die of these sets ranges from 122.20 to 159.94 discounted at 12 to 34.98 and 49 respectively (those are the least expensive and most expensive ones others are in between those costs)
C – Awaiting shipping estimate, extra insurance will not be bought unless requested. Then it will be calculated based on USPS prices, I will be using PayPal and if we do the friends and family there are no fees, I won't be charging for boxes or tape (just shipping and the taps and dies) since flat rate boxes are free.
D – Payment will be PayPal or checks (I'm okay with either checks will just make the process take longer as I will have to wait for them to clear to put in the order but don't make that force you to not want to do this just understand it will take longer)
E – I will ship internationally and the one current member that wants a set has been in contact and agreed to the extra costs. I will still ship the cheapest method which I believe is flat rate but I have already worked this out with him)
F – The buy will be closed to orders a week after I get confirmation from everyone that said they wanted in the Group Buy Research post (which will be at the end of this post. I will send out a PM to all the individuals from the research post in a week just as a reminder to them.

G – There should not be any leftover funds but if there are I will just donate them to the IAP.
H – Nothing should be back ordered because they will be making these to order. The only delay will likely be in setting up their tooling.

Here is the cost break down at the 12 pc price break:
M10 double tap

M10 double die

M12 double tap

M12 double die

M10 double set

M12 double set

This is who I have as being interested:

M10 Tap Double
Jyreene
StevenG
Duncsuss

edstreet
ChrisN
beck3906
RDH79
Seamus7227
signguy
cmiles1985
silver
bsea
dansills
Carl Fisher (a maybe)
Adillo303
jj9ball

M10 Die Double
Jyreene
StevenG
Duncsuss

edstreet
ChrisN
beck3906
RDH79
Seamus7227
signguy
cmiles1985
silver
bsea
dansills
Carl Fisher (a maybe)
Adillo303
jj9ball

M12 Tap Double
Jyreene
Edstreet
Duncsuss
ChrisN
beck3906
RDH79
Seamus7227
signguy
cmiles1985
silver
Dan Masshardt
dansills
Carl Fisher (a maybe)
Mintman
Adillo303
jj9ball

M12 Die Double
Jyreene
Edstreet
Duncsuss
ChrisN
beck3906
RDH79
Seamus7227
signguy
cmiles1985
silver
Dan Masshardt
dansills
Carl Fisher (a maybe)
Mintman
Adillo303
jj9ball

Here is the link to the Group Buy Research post. Monty will close it soon.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f222/triple-quad-tap-die-124610/

Sorry for my ignorance, but what would be the estimated less shipping for a set of 10 and 12? I don't know if I will use them any time soon and don't want to invest a lot of money just in case. Thanks

I see the breakdown now, not interested. thanks

Last edited:

Adillo303

I am in for a double set (tap and die double start) M10 and a double set (tap and die double start) M12.

Thank you
Andy

JD Combs Sr

May be intereseted

Just so that I completely understand, if I say I am in for the:

M12 double set

set, what exactly will I be getting? My assumption is one M12 tap and one M12 die but I read someplace inhere about both tapered and bottoming taps.

Last edited:

Timebandit

Just so that I completely understand, if I say I am in for the:

M12 double set

set, what exactly will I be getting?

A matching set, with a 12mm Tap and a Die. A Tap to cut the 12mm female threads, and a Die to cut the corresponding 12mm male threads.

Timebandit

JD Im assuming they are tapered taps, as there usually arent enough people interested in the bottom taps.

Ty might want to just confirm that so everyone knows for sure. And it doesnt say anywhere in this thread about bottoms, so im assuming they are out.

jyreene

Justin, good question. This is what I got from the manufacturer:
[FONT=&quot]
You can mix and match on the taps chamfer style for example if you wanted to get 3 bottom taps and taper taps I would sell at 6 pc price. Any price combination at quantity breaks could be used..
[/FONT]

So they can be tapered, bottoming, or whatever the third one is. So bottoming ones are not out.

jyreene

Also, if we magically make it to 24 then we get another price break, not on dies but on taps.

24 pc of M10 Double Tap - 29.60 ea
24 pc of M12 Double Tap - 37.55 ea

Not a huge difference but every bit helps.

jyreene

I sent the question onward. Once I get the answer I will let you know. I would assume yes since taper and bottom taps are mixable in the order but I didn't ask about plug taps last time (and I also only sort of understand the difference (have a link bookmarked to further educate myself)).

wizard

I would like to purchase the double 10mm plug tap and die and, if available, bottoming tap. Total of 3 pieces. Please let me know how and when to pay.
Doc

JD Combs Sr

If it doesn't' complicate things I would prefer a plug tap. It will be used mostly in plastic so doesn't really need the taper of a tapered tap but I would still like some lead-in that a bottoming tap doesn't have.

Optimally the best situation is to have both a tapered and a bottom tap, start the thread with a tapered tap then follow-up with the bottom but a plug tap is a good compromise.

Edit: Just saw the wizard's post. For the purposes of pen cap threads the bottom tap would be best especially if you have limited length for the threads. However, someone else will have to jump in here and let us know how well they start in plastic. I have only used taps in metal and when I need threads to go all the way to the bottom of a hole I use the scenario noted above. In plastic it may not be needed. If not I would consider changing my order to a bottom tap.

Last edited:

JD Combs Sr

My personal opinion is that for use in plastic there is no need for a tapered tap, it is generally used for hard to cut materials such as alloyed steels and is sometimes followed up with a plug or bottom tap. The difference in the taps is the taper:

Bottom taps = little to no taper - 1-2 threads (Bottom refers to its ability to put threads all the way to bottom of blind hole)
Plug taps = Some taper - 3-5 threads
Tapered = A lot of taper - 8-10 threads

Edit: Here is a link to a good description(scroll down about a screen) and a diagram on wikipedia.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

JDennis

I'll get in for both the M10 and M12 double set. I would also take a bottom tap for each if available and around same price for the tap.

Let me know when and where to send payment.
John

duncsuss

It seems the term "plug tap" is ambiguous. Some people use it to mean "bottom tap", others use it to mean "second tap" (the intermediate between taper and bottom taps).

I'd be happy with either bottom taps or second taps -- I don't think it's necessary to have a long taper for the plastics I'll be using these on.

Cmiles1985

Add me up for the M10 and M12 tap and die set to include a bottoming tap and second tap in each size please.

M10 bottoming tap
M10 second tap
M10 die
M12 bottoming tap
M12 second tap
M12 die

At the rate it's looking here, we might make 24 taps in one size or another!

SteveG

Based on the discussion intermingled with this thread, I am revising my order found at post #17, quoted:

This is my confirmation to buy the:

M10 double set

My revised order is:
M10 bottoming tap
M10 second tap
M10 die

Thus my total order is the 2 taps and one die
Thanks

I'm in for the same combination as Clark Miles:

M10 bottoming tap
M10 second tap
M10 die
M12 bottoming tap
M12 second tap
M12 die

Thanks,

Bill

wizard

To clarify after reading the previous posts, please revise my order to:

M10 bottoming tap
M10 second tap
M10 die
M12 bottoming tap
M12 second tap
M12 die

Thank you!

MarkD

If there is room for more in this buy I would be interested in:

M10 bottoming tap
M10 second tap
M10 die
M12 bottoming tap
M12 second tap
M12 die

Dean

Load me up..I will take

M10 bottoming tap
M10 second tap
M10 die
M12 bottoming tap
M12 second tap
M12 die

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
OK, I've been wavering on this for some time.
Add me up for the M10 and M12 tap and die set.

M10 bottoming tap
M10 die
M12 bottoming tap
M12 die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom