August Tap and Die Group Buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quality Pen

I know a lot of times posts on IAP get busy and buried... perhaps someone might want to alert the fountain pen forum to this group buy? I'm sure a few forgot about it or simply didn't know!

I bring this up because this recently happened to me regarding other happenings here! So much to see and do on the IAP!!!

I'm not sure I can do that. I've sent a PM to Monty to get his yay or nay.
Good idea to double check. I don't think it will be a problem but its not my sandbox either! :biggrin: But seeing as how nobody "profits" this is just a win win for anyone and a lose out if someone missed the opportunity!

The more the participation, the more everyone wins! :biggrin:

whteglve

Here is where we are at right now...

12 orders for M14's (excluding the 3 pending) - Best price break reached.
8 orders for M12's (excluding the 1 pending) - 4 more needed for the best price break.

Skie_M

Are these for single taps and dies or sets?

Like .... metric 12 MM hole size, .8mm thread width, 2 threads per MM ?

I'm finding it hard to believe that a single tap and matching die has to run us over 100 dollars a set....

I got my tap and die set from Harbor Freight, but of course that's a general purpose set ... it was only 25 dollars though, and had 62 pieces.

Quality Pen

would love to hear more regarding the very same thing! obviously quality of superior but ed street would attest....shine folks need the details! haha

whteglve

Are these for single taps and dies or sets?

Like .... metric 12 MM hole size, .8mm thread width, 2 threads per MM ?

I'm finding it hard to believe that a single tap and matching die has to run us over 100 dollars a set....

I got my tap and die set from Harbor Freight, but of course that's a general purpose set ... it was only 25 dollars though, and had 62 pieces.

The taps and dies in this group buy don't have standard threads, which are single start/lead. These have double starts/leads. That's the reason these taps and dies are expensive. If you were to purchase these on your own, the per piece cost would be WAY WAY MORE expensive. That's why someone on the forum starts a group buy like this. The more people we have participating in the buy, the better per piece cost we can get. It takes the cost for a M12x.8x2 tap from $160 for a single tap, down to $45 each IF we order 12 at a time.

I have a set like the set you purchased from Harbor Freight. The problem is that set only for single start, or lead, threading. It doesn't have any multi-start threads in it, like these.

As for the sizing designation, I'll use your example and try to explain it. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

M12x.8x2 is broken down like this;

M = Thread designation, metric
12 = Nominal/Major Diameter, 12mm
x
.8 = The distance peak to peak of the threads
x
2 = Number of starts/leads

Here is a wiki link explaining metric threads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread

One image I attached shows single, double and triple leads.
The other one shows pitch.

I hope this helps everyone without me sounding like a jerk.

Attachments

• 3-74.jpg
    3-74.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 691
  • 3-73.jpg
    3-73.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 677

Quality Pen

TAPS CAN BE STARTER, INTERMEDIATE, OR BOTTOMING STYLES. WE ARE ALLOWED TO MIX AND MATCH THEM.

If I am just getting into kitless and I want to just make nice kitless fountain pens... which of these is most suitable for me?

whteglve

Should there be clarification that unless otherwise requested, the set includes an intermediate tap? Of whatever?

Good call. Since it was mentioned that we could mix and match tap types, everyone has mentioned they wanted an intermediate tap.

I'll update the original post.

duncsuss

Would someone explain just what is in a 14 mm set and why these things are so expensive? Are they tri cut?

A "set" is a tap plus a die (the tap can be taper, plug or bottom.)

They are expensive because they are being custom made -- these are not "off the shelf" items.

If you're able to find a fine-pitch double (or triple) start tap and die set cheaper than these, please let me know :biggrin:

edstreet

Would someone explain just what is in a 14 mm set and why these things are so expensive? Are they tri cut?

I will bite.

These are rather inexpensive compared to one of the quotes I have for some custom threading. At over $600 EACH (and in lots of 12+) these prices are a steal.

The reason for the higher than standard tap/dies is the shop term for this group buy is 'bastard threads', meaning they are non-standard, non industry conforming and requires more than average experience and education to cut them properly.

As for this strange 'tri cut' I am assuming you are referring to triple lead, and your answer is no, that's not what makes them more $$.

edstreet

Don't forget. Titanium coating the die is imperative as they can not be sharpened and TiN coating will double (or more) the life span (assuming it's not misused). The taps can be resharpened and recommended TiN coated but it's not critical like the die is.

TiN makes the tap/die cut smoother, colder and more efficient. Cutting fluid that matches the material is also a must. When you get the tap and die they need to be 'set', tempered If you will for best results.

0.8 pitch equates to 31.75 threads per inch.
m12 x 0.8 tap drill size is 0.457'' or 29/64" or 11.6mm
m14 x 0.8 tap drill size is 0.536'' or 35/64 or 13.6mm

Die tenon size will have to be measured directly from the die but estimated size is 12.8mm or 1/2" and 14.8mm or 37/64".

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

So the payment deadline is tonight but I haven't seen final prices or an email to send the payment to.

Are we still on track to place the order tomorrow and how do we make payment?

whteglve

So the payment deadline is tonight but I haven't seen final prices or an email to send the payment to.

Are we still on track to place the order tomorrow and how do we make payment?

We sure are. I didn't realize I didn't send you a PM. I'm fixing that now.

Has anyone else not received a PM with your totals from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom