Anyone want some nickel-plated .308 casings?CLOSED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royce Meritt

Hi. I posted over on the classified section looking for some nickel-plated .308 cal. shell casings for bullet pens. I can not find any locally and on-line I would need to order 100 casings. I need about 20 myself. It was suggested that I explore a group purchase.

So far, the best price I've found is $28.89/100 plus shipping. I figure I could purchase 100 casings. For $7.00 each I will get the casings, repackage in lots of 20 and send to you.

2006411203251_casings.jpg

Anyone interested? I'll do the "leg work".

mrcook4570

Royce

You may want to check out www.midwayusa.com Their price is $27.49 for 100 nickel 308 win. cases. They also offer boxes of 20, but they add $3.00 for orders under $25.00.

Royce Meritt

Just to clarify...

That would be $7.00 for 20 casings. That should be enough $$ to pay both the shipping cost to get the casings to me and the postage to get 20 casings from me to you.

According to my count there are 8 of us in so far. Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 more and have 10 orders for 20 casings. At any rate, sometime in the next day or so I will get 200 nickel-plated .308 shell casings ordered and comtact each of you to tell you where to send you $7.00. Thanks everyone.

Royce

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Oh why not. Put me down for 20 also. Are you sure you can do it for $7 including shipping to us? Will you accept PayPay? What about the PayPal charges?

Royce Meritt

Hmmm...

This has taken on a bit more of a "life of its own" than I was anticipating. We now have 12 people interested in 20 casings each. I was originally hoping I could find 4 people to go in with me so I could order 100. We blew right past that. Then I was hoping for 10 people so I could order 200. We are well on our way to 15 people so I can order 300. Don't panic (he says to himself). I'm going to wait a couple more days before I order any nickel-plated casings to see how many I should order. I promise, I'll keep you posted.

jlindholm70

I wish you'd done this last Friday. I just ordered a batch of 308, 30-06, and 300 win mag from Midway Saturday. I'll have to remember this next time I go to order brass. [:(]

Royce Meritt

OK. Looks like we have 15 people in on the casings. That puts us up to ordering 300 nickel-plated casings (15 sets of 20 casings). Unless we get 5 more signed up in the next day or so I will get some ordered. I'll be in touch with each of you to let you know where to send your money. I think we will be able to stay at the $7.00/20 casings figure. I'll be in touch.

Royce

jlindholm70

Joe, I'm not too sure which diameter you want, mouth ID, mouth OD or butt diameters, but the slimline pen tip fits the OD of a .30 casing perfectly. If you haven't tried a bullet pen before, here's how I do it:

In order to get the pen tube to fit the ID, I use an aluminum arrow (2018=20/64 OD with a .018 wall thickness) to glue the tube into and then the arrow is usually a press fit (it can be tight, but a gentle nudge with a hammer does the trick)into the case. The best way I found to insure the tube remains straight from mouth to butt is to run a 5/16 drill bit down from the mouth to the butt and stop about 1/16th short of drilling clear through the case. There is a shoulder on the inside of the case that runs up from the butt about 1/4 inch so this will give your arrow "shim" a perfect alignment every time. You'll need to fabricate a holder of some sort that won't crush or mar the outside of the case while you drill the case out. I use a piece of wood scrap with a 1/2 hole drilled through it and then cut the piece in half so the two pieces can hold the case in a vise while you drill. I then come back through the butt end with a 1/4 inch bit to bore the primer pocket out so the pen mechanism will fit down through it. I don't bore completely through the case with the 5/16 bit because that cuts off too much of the case size and type that is stamped into the butt. Some people like to see what size case they have.

If you want to use a European pen kit, then a 338 Win Mag case works perfectly, but I use two sizes of arrows, the 20/18 and a 21something or other that the 2018 slides very easily into. I can't remember which size off the top of my head right now. The rest of the assembly is virtually the same except I use a 11/32 drill bit instead of the 5/16. Of course you could glue your pen tube up in wood and turn it down to fit the mouth of the case, but I've found the arrows to work well and are faster for me to use. Clear as mud?

Royce Meritt

Still on. I'll make the final arrangements in the next day or 2 and contact each of you.

I'll check on shipping to Canada. Not sure of the postage requirements.

Brass casings are easy to find. There are at least 4 places I can buy brass casings locally. Any gun shop, sporting goods store, etc. may have them.

Skye

For some reason I can never find used shells localy, just new ones. I think I just dont know the good-ol-places to look.

Royce Meritt

OK everyone, sorry for the delay. Sometimes life gets in the way of the fun stuff.

At any rate, I placed the order for the nickel-plated .308 casings this afternoon. I had to raise the price from $7.00 per 20 casings to $7.50 per 20 casings. I forgot that I would need to buy an envelope of some sort for each of your shipments.

I will email each of you with the address to send your payment. PLease reply to my email with your mailing address.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by Royce Meritt
<br />OK everyone, sorry for the delay. Sometimes life gets in the way of the fun stuff.
I know firsthand how hectic things can get.
Email sent with requested info.

gerryr

Originally posted by Skye
<br />For some reason I can never find used shells localy, just new ones. I think I just dont know the good-ol-places to look.

Gun shows are a pretty good source of used casings.

pssherman

Originally posted by Skye
<br />For some reason I can never find used shells localy, just new ones. I think I just dont know the good-ol-places to look.
Skye,
What size and how many are you looking to get? I get mine from ebay usually in lots of 50 to 100. Still have plenty, haven't had much time in the shop.

Paul in AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom