What did you get??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
As busy as we were, I did not get to see many of the swaps and door prize drawings. I would love to hear from more people on what they won, and if you have any success with making something you like from your earnings, please share photos!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck Key

I made the almost 14 mile trip in from North Powhatan County Friday evening and Saturday.

I was lucky to receive door prize #38 which included:

Gent Series Ironclads
Jr. Gent Series Ironclads
Sierra Series Ironclad

All Ironclads from Kent Wilson. The package also included a Chrome Virage pen kit from Exotica Blanks.

I calculate the retail value of that price at at least $163.00

Thanks to Kent and Ed and all the prize donors.

John

PS AWESOME EVENT!!

edicehouse

I won a Patty Sole Jr Gent pen tubes. An awesome door prize. My daughter won an IAP pen cup, and informed me only the "pretty pens we make can go into it!" The turners finish in the welcome bags. Meeting several people I have seen on the forum. The smile that didn't stop from Angelina.

walshjp17

I won an alligator jaw blank and a lavender dyed maple blank from Tom Barron in the door prize drawing. Also received a magnetic IAP badge and have affixed it to my demo lathe.

I was able to put a lot of faces to screen names and had some great conversations with a bunch of tremendous pen turners.

Spent too much money on pen blanks and supplies :biggrin::biggrin: -- don't tell SWMBO!:wink:

A big 'well done' to all the folks who put this gathering together. Already looking forward to next year.

what I got!

I won (2nd place segmenting contest):
a stunning 2.5" segmented blank from Joe Schneider, a Ironclad blank for jr Gent series pen from Kent Wilson ( I was going to try to make one, now I don't have to)and a Gold sierra kit, OOPS, I mean hardware set from Exotics (I can use the segmented blank on this)....Thank you all, look forward to making them soon!!!

ZIP IT!!

longbeard

I won Rick Herrell tool rest and post. Thing is sweet! Very well made. Anybody looking to buy a new tool rest and post, check Rick's stuff out.

Also in the package was a "Tool rest adapter sleeve" from Chefwarekits.com
Great stuff also.
Thank you for donating to the MAPG

The exquisite door prize that we won was from Marla Mills... they are so beautiful I may never try to turn them... when I went to pick out the ticket I think it was Charlie held them close to him and I thought he was just kidding... but after I saw what they were I felt the same way... so generous was her donation that I know there was great sacrifice both in the time and talent... for me to receive it is most rewarding... they are Mixed Feathers for Sierra Click... Art Nouveau for Cambridge and another for a Cigar. The wife and I Thank you!!!

Bear-31

Wanted to take a picture but since I'm probably not going to get to that...

In the PITH I received a Little Havana Fountain pen dressed in Purple Acrylic, with custom finial and clip accessory from Michael Broberg.

In the Blank Swap I received a batch from Eric Rasmussen. One particular blank of interest was a stablized spalted Pignut hickory blank that exhibits a unique pattern. Looking forward to getting that one on a kit.

I, as well as most attendees spent more than I planned at the vendor booths. There was just to much good stuff to pass up. :)

Last edited:

Charlie_W

I am replying for both my wife Robin and myself.

On Friday night, we both won a door prize. Both prizes were super nice IAP ball caps.

In Saturday's drawing, Robin won a Doug Thompson 1/2" spindle gouge(I will turn a handle for it) and I won a set of Gary Nichol's(Capt. G) carbon Fiber watch parts blanks!!!! WOW!

We were both impressed with the quality and abundance of items in the door prize drawings. The folks who provided these items went over and above big time! I will be sending individual thanks to them all.

In the PITH, I received a very nice Mesa pen with amboyna burl from Joe Sanders (I think that is the spelling).

I am not sure of the name of whom my swap blanks went to but I was laughing when I received some special blanks from Tom Smart, a turner who lives close to me whom I recently became aquanted with. He brought them from Loudoun County(VA) to Richmond and I took them back to Loudoun County!

Once again, Many thanks to the vendors who provided great door prizes, my swap partners, and the MAPG team for a great event.
We are indeed grateful.

Charlie_W

My second reply here is for the contests.

I had one pen I thought I would enter in the contest. I had not had time to reread the details about the contest catagories, I just showed up with a pen. I ended up putting it in the beginner catagory as it was not segmented or modified in any way.
Fred said you know, you can enter 2 catagories if you want. My wife picked up another pen I had and said "does this work?" It qualified for the modified catagory.
I had no expectation of winning anything. Just entered anyway. I thought the experienced super duper pen turners would take any prize easily with their awesome pens.

Well,,,,,,I was blown away to find out that I had won a prize in the pen contest! (I was out at the car when names were being drawn.)
Not only had I won but had won in both catagories...first place in both! Really!!?...No way! I guess the odds were much better at MAPG than in the PowerBall!

The prizes were over the top! I received gift certificates for engraving from Stan Cook at Mestari Designs, a couple of Sierra kits from Exotics, a Marksman Eagle kit with stars and stripes inlay blanks from Marksman, and a VA Quarter Blank from Seamus Rooney!

To me,this was better than the lottery! I am still in awe when I look at these items. Now, I need to turn something.

Have any of you found that you have no time for turning now because your spare time is spent reading MAPG posts? What Fun!

Again, a very special thanks to the vendors and MAPG for these wonderful prizes. I am truly grateful.

jlsand68

I had such a great time. I won a bag of polyester resin blanks, made by Jonathan Brooks. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

In the PITH swap, I was luck enough to pull Brett Ransom's name. I knew of him from the segmented pen that he brought (which eventually took First place in the segmented competition). I ended up with an awesome closed end fountain pen made from green dyed and stabilized maple burl.

The sessions were very informative and I can't wait to try out some techniques that I learned.

Overall a great time!

hard hat

I ended up with a great looking mesa in black Ti wrapped in jobillo, I apologize for forgetting the makers name but I could find him in an instant.

Door prize was a Patty Sole blank, 'whistlers mother'

Blank swap was a juiced up pao amarillo turn-tex, a curly noodle in blue resin, curly maple, spalted maple, and another brown one I can't remember from work right now. They are all really really nice looking blanks.

The prize for first place segmented was a 360 herringbone blank, a virage pen kit, and a $20 gift certificate to berea hardwoods.

Thank you to all of the vendors and those who took the time to make this a memorable event.

Top Bottom