My notes/tidbits from the weekend.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Some of the tidbits that I used and discovered this weekend.

:Hotel:
*) Bring your own pillow, hotel pillows can be nasty, the bed can be (was) hard

*) Hotel lobby had some type of mold infestation.

*) Make sure your hotel is very close to the crack house (Starbucks)

:Airplane:

*) Airlines should let those with babies and small kids on the plane with the special need group. I saw several cases where kids were in one spot, parent(s) in another spot.

*) Security is a joke (knew this one for about 30 years now) They really dislike knifes of any form, be it xacto blades, small pocket knives and what not but they do allow the largest weapon of all, a bag that is 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall that you never have to leave your hand even on the plane.

*) It is better to depart from a large airport than smaller ones.

*) Airlines does not allow things like pressurized cans, gel of any form and really hates liquids, gel, what not. Yet they serve coke products that are pressurized on the plane go figure.

*) Traveling with baby's will guarantee you instant scrutiny with security; the only serious pat downs and bag inspections I heard about and saw with those with kids, mostly due to bottles being displayed.

*) When flying in bad weather it is always better to fly from a large airport with the largest plane you can find. Being stranded at an airport that is rather small with a small airplane is not fun and not enjoyable.

:Richmond:
*) Bring something to navigate the city with, i.e. iphone nav, garmin or something else that can do turn by turn navigation and instant re-routing.

*) When in Rome ... cities offer unique things that your home city may not ESP with food.

:Event gathering:
*) Bring extra money as the wood craft store and the vendors had lots of goodies and best way to describe it, a kid in a candy store. I originally planned on buying some wood rasp for gun stocks that I am making and was not sure which ones I wanted so I figured I would look at them while there in person then decide. The coupon booklet said 15% off over a set amount and that was a very good plan so I ended up buying them, getting the discount and they shipped them to me (hopefully today or tomorrow)

*) Don't wait till the second day to buy something. I saw several things that sold out on the first day

*) Be polite, courteous and mindful to those around you while in crowds. Not only was there an audio level problem (to low) the room was to small and several people decided to talk in the back of the room (technically outside in the hallway where it was spilled out) which made hearing the presenter impossible. Keep this in mind; most there paid several hundred dollars to be there (airline, car rental, hotel = approx $600) Even at the airport and shuttle service I helped several people out, I did not have to but I did. One time it caused me to miss the shuttle but there was another one about 10 minutes later. Holding doors open, side stepping so those in the crowd can pass easier, moving out of the area to cough, sneeze, etc While browsing at vendor tables you can always tell those that were bursting with excitement so the polite thing is to move and let them in because that excitement is contagious and it can spreads like crazy. Wise person once said never ever hinder someone with that much passion.

*) Meeting people and putting faces to names online is pure epic win but the best thing ever was the brownies. I am not sure who made those but WOW, those were good.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
My suggestion...at the Friday night meeting, have someone bringing some of the goodies around to the vendors! I had too many people at my table to get in on anything. I missed the brownies completely and I LOVE brownies!

edstreet

I need to revise my original post on the 'special needs' section. That could be taken incorrectly.

Here is my revised line.

*) Airlines should let those with babies and small kids board the plane before mass mobs probably somewhere after the special needs group and maybe even with first class. I saw several cases where kids were in one spot, parent(s) in another spot.
I also saw several single parents with 3 kids and just about every one with a baby get the royal fingering at the security checkpoint. I honestly feel the airlines need MORE priority and less hassle to those in all of those cases, be it wheel chair, phobia, children, etc. The mass mob can be brutal and dealing with security, highly unfriendly plane layouts and the various stress is very taxing to say the least. Sorry if this offended anyone, was not my intentions.

Top Bottom