MAPG opening remarks by Jeff Brown

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mapgjeff final - YouTube

The quality of this is not good!!!

The original concept was to take Jeff AND the screen that was showing the PowerPoint he had prepared. When I started to edit, it was obvious the screen was NOT going to be readable, so I decided to "blow up" Jeff and remove everything else. All the little pixels rebelled!!

So, since the camera (and microphone) were about 50 feet away, it turned out "acceptable".

Enjoy!!

(Yes, I have the permission of both Jeff and the "master of ceremonies" at MAPG--Bruce Robbins)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for filming, editing and posting this Ed. I think my only disappointment of the MAPG was not being able to fully capture the entire event on video. I've already started the conversation on how to properly record and broadcast live for the next one and make it truly an international event. Just need a stong hot spot and a few good volunteers.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I hope we see more videos... It was great to watch/listen to this.

Thanks Jeff and thanks to (Dad/Grampa :eek:) Brown for posting this.

Katsin

Sorry to have missed the gathering due to a wedding. I grew up just down the road from Richmond so I am hoping the gathering will be in Richmond again next year.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I hope we see more videos... It was great to watch/listen to this.

Thanks Jeff and thanks to (Dad/Grampa :eek:) Brown for posting this.
Don't know how much I took, Dean!!

I set the camera up to record my demo (self-critique). Then left the camera running for the remainder of the morning demos. When I came to get the camera, it was off--no storage or no battery--don't know which stopped it.

When I started viewing, there was a stop. I suspect someone hit the camera, but they set it back up and knew how to make it record. So, later today I will learn what is on there---I know my demo is, but that's all I have watched.

Ed

jttheclockman

It definetly sounds like good times were had by all. Tons of thanks and pats on the backs go out to whoever was involved no matter how small or in what degree. It takes tremendous cooperation and corordination to put events on such as that. I would like to touch on one thing that Jeff said in his remarks which were well put.

I have been doing scrolling for over 25 years and we too use to have picnics and it was not so much a chapter thing but a gathering open to anyone who liked scrolling. These have dimished over the years. They too use to have contests, demonstartions, and show off galleries. I use to always make it a point to attend a few per year especially the ones held in Pennsylvania. They were the easiest for me to get to back then. Scroll sawing was one of those hobbies that took off just as pen turning did not really that long ago. From it was born a few well known now scrollsaw magazines which are still in existance. Creative Woodworks and Crafts is the one I am fond of because hopefully I had some small input on that beginning. I got to know some of the big pattern designers and one in particular John Nelson. I use to make prototype projects of his designs.

But to get back to my point these scrollsaw picnics and Pen gatherings and also the turner's Sympossiums all have one thing in common and Jeff hit it on the nose. Community or gathering of a bunch of people who hold the same interests you do but you may not know from Adam or may have only known from typing on a keyboard. But once placed in that inviroment where you get to meet face to face and put a face to the name that you have been typing to and being able to shake their hands and actually use body language to go along with the words makes a huge difference. I think we all form opinions of one another ( good, bad or indifferent)on open forums such as this but to meet in person can be at times a real eye opener. Hopefully from the meeting the true sense of friendship is deepened.

Great to see and read about the good things that came out of the event and hopefully it continues. Look forward to seeing all the photos and videos provided.

I am sure a lot of us will really look forward to seeing any available videos. Bound to be a lot of us who just aren't able to attend. For what ever reason. Thanks a lot ahead of time to any who are able and care to share this with us.

Top Bottom