November 13 Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

It is time once again to put down the tools and stop by Jim Hoechstetter's wee little shop for a little bit of pen talk, demo(s), tips, tricks, camaraderie and other stuff.

Our upcoming meeting will be on Thursday, November 13 at 6:30 PM at the afore mentioned location. At this meeting I will be doing a demo on how to make a faux segmented pen. Y'all may have seen Don Ward's articles in More Woodturning magazine or his postings on Facebook. I learned how to do this from Don at Arrowmont. If you saw my demo at the Charlotte Woodturners meeting a few months ago, this demo will follow the same format. I will also have a handout with Don's step-by-step instructions.

Bring your latest creations for Show-N-Tell. We will also be doing a PITH (Pen-in-the-hat) exchange and a blank swap once again, so bring a pen and a few blanks to trade with other members. If you have items you would like to sell, swap or give away, please bring them along as well. There will be a few penturning-related items on the raffle table, so come prepared to buy a few tickets ($1.00 each or 6 for $5.00).

I will be bringing the box with blanks I brought the last time. These blanks are for making pens for our troops and/or veterans or for another charitable purpose you may have in mind. If you want some, please feel free to take them. If you took some at the last meeting, please bring the completed pens and I will send them to the folks collecting them for the troops.

If you know of anyone who would be interested in joining our little group or just attend a meeting, please pass this info along and/or bring them with you. Remember, experience is not required.

Please let me know if you are unable to make the meeting so we will know how to plan for the space.

walshjp17

OK. So sometimes my brain doesn't function as well as it should — only 5 cylinders firing or something like that. I failed to remember that Carl Fisher was going to do a demo this month on some of the key aspects of making a kitless pen. Sooooo …. we're going to postpone the Faux Segmenting demo until January and have Carl do his Kitless Pen demo. This one should be really interesting as he'll likely be using/showing tools we normally don't use in kit-based pen making such as taps and dyes to create threads on the pen parts.

Top Bottom