Next Regular Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Our next regular meeting will be on November 14 at 6:30 PM at Jim Hoechstetter's shop in Indian Land, SC (send me a note if you need directions). Sandy Houston has volunteered -- well, at least agreed :biggrin: -- to do a short demonstration on segmenting for pen turners. Sandy will show us some basics and discuss what needs to be done to attach two or more different wood species, acrylics or other materials together to make a segmented pen. We will also call on others who have made segmented pens to provide some advice and we'll try to discover the techniques to successfully craft a unique fine writing instrument and understand the pitfalls so we can learn to avoid them.

At our last meeting Marshall Hinson cast an acrylic blank made from polyester resin (Silmar 41, IIRC). Since we did not have time to see the fully cured product, Marshall will be bringing his demo cast to the meeting to show us the results of his demo. We will hold a raffle for Marshall's blank and a few other items as well (if you have an item or two you would like to donate to the raffle, please bring it with you).

I have some thoughts for future meeting topics and would like to get your votes on which of the following you would like to see in the upcoming year. Please select your choices (no min/max) and send them to me. If there is a topic not listed here you would like to see demonstrated, please add it to your choices. I will attempt to find expertise and/or someone who wants to learn by doing who can then pass along what she/he learned. Remember, we'll be meeting on the second Thursday of January, March, May, July, September and November.

Potential topics:

1. Baseball bat pens & pencils
2. Turning a dip pen
3. All about fountain pens (covering inks, converters, switching and tuning nibs, nib sizes and widths, etc.)
4. Desk Sets - bases, stick pens, kit pens
5. Closed-end pens
6. Kitless pens
7. Advanced segmenting
8. Unusual materials (banksia pods, pvc, aluminum, etc.)
9. Affixing decals to finished blanks
10. Embedding objects in resin blanks (bottle tops, stamps, watch parts, acorns, pine cones, etc.)
11. Cigar Replica Pens
12. Guinness Pen (pen that looks like a freshly poured glass of Irish goodness)
13. Steampunk
14. Celtic Knots
15. Tips on turning and assembling laser cut inlays

A few reminders:

• Please don't forget to bring a chair; Jim only has a few.

• Please park on the street and walk down the driveway to the double door entrance to Jim's shop.

• If you would like to participate in a pen swap, aka PITH (Pen-in-the-Hat), please bring a pen to share.

• If you would like to participate in a blank swap, please bring two or three nice pen blanks to share.

Please let me know if you cannot attend.

We're open to new members. Just drop me a PM with your email address so I can add you to our mailing list.

I'm always open to suggestions, comments or great tuna recipes. Please feel free to pass them along.

See y'all on 11/14.

Top Bottom