Please be sure you proof of completion is correct...final warning!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Ok guys, the time has come to start making things harder in order to thin the herd on the leader board a little! Since I am the type that strives for perfection in everything I do, from this point on, your entry will be disqualified if:

• you proof of completion is mispelled...I would suggest you use copy and paste!
  • your proof of completion is not EXACTLY as asked for in the text above the proof box on the entry form. In other words, if the proof asks for an IAP username of the person making a pen and you enter their proper name...DQ
  • If your username on the entry form is not exactly like it is in your profile
  • If your username is THarvey or Alphageek (just kidding of course, just seeing if anyone is actually reading this!)
Remember, we are having fun with this so don't take this as anything more than me trying to make it a little more difficult! Good luck!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Ok guys, the time has come to start making things harder in order to thin the herd on the leader board a little! Since I am the type that strives for perfection in everything I do, from this point on, your entry will be disqualified if:

• your proof of completion is mispelled...I would suggest you use copy and paste!
  • your proof of completion is not EXACTLY as asked for in the text above the proof box on the entry form. In other words, if the proof asks for an IAP username of the person making a pen and you enter their proper name...DQ
  • If your username is THarvey or Alphageek (just kidding of course, just seeing if anyone is actually reading this!)
Remember, we are having fun with this so don't take this as anything more than me trying to make it a little more difficult! Good luck!!

HaHa. I read it.

Corrected a typo for you, Mr. Perfection. :biggrin:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator

Never said I was perfect, only that I strive for perfection! Sometimes my striving lets me down! That and the fact that I touch type 70 words per minute (last time I took a test) and have frequent typos that I miss!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

• your proof of completion is mispelled...I would suggest you use copy and paste!

HaHa. I read it.

But spell check said everything was OK. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Heck, I drop r's, transpose letters, and generally make a mess of things but I am really fast at typing! Of course, I then spend more time trying to fix my typos than it would have taken to slow down and get it right the first time! I just can't type slow even if I try!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Speaking of which...a little hint for some of you on the latest puzzle...I would hate to deny you a point because you did not enter the proof of completion EXACTLY as presented! Rememer, I amm pron to typoos and your entrys wil nott be cuonted if you didd not entre it exctly as givn!!!!!!! You still ahve time to do it over and submit a corrected entry if you think you may be one of them!! I am not going to be so nice and give hints in the future! Gotta thin the heard a little at the top you know!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Lets say the completion code box says:

Your completion code is Head Moderator

Should the answer be:

Your completion code is Head Moderator

or....

Head Moderator

It should be Head Moderator. But if the box says "Your completiong code is Head Moterator, then the correct entry is Head Moterator, not Head Moderator!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Up to this puzzle, I accepted Head Moterator or Head Moderator as well as your completion code is Head Moderator. However, the puzzles don't seem to be hard enough for some of the guys so we are going to start getting technical! Basically, when I download the entries and sort the spreadsheet based on completion code, if it is not in the range of the rest of the correct entries because of misspellings or typos, either yours or mine, it is NOT going to count towards the points total! It will still count as an entry for the random drawing portion though. Not trying to make it less fun for anyone at all! Just trying to make it more challenging! Afterall, if you want to be called the top puzzler when it is all said and done, you need to be precise in your puzzling!:biggrin:

mrcook4570

[*]your proof of completion is not EXACTLY as asked for in the text above the proof box on the entry form. In other words, if the proof asks for an IAP username of the person making a pen and you enter their proper name...DQ

What if it just asks for the name of the maker of the pen (without specifying either IAP name or proper name)? Which is the acceptable answer?

alphageek

Former Moderator
Oh my &@&$&@!? head hurts. Thank goodness I submitted my answer before having to help my daughter learn how to solve slope intercept (y=mx+b) problems tonight. If I had think through all that was said above my head might explode! :)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
What if it just asks for the name of the maker of the pen (without specifying either IAP name or proper name)? Which is the acceptable answer?

Either has been accepted to this point, Stan! In the future, though, it will specify either name or username and then it will matter. It may even ask for where the maker lives instead of their name. Kinds like a word clue hunt, you will have to go to their profile to get the info. I am going to make you guys work for it a little more! All in fun, of course and while you are at it, you may learn more about IAP and our members! Stay tuned!

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Oh my &@&$&@!? head hurts. Thank goodness I submitted my answer before having to help my daughter learn how to solve slope intercept (y=mx+b) problems tonight. If I had think through all that was said above my head might explode! :)

Hope I am not making it too hard on your poor wittle head, Dean! Just pay attention and all will be well!

Seriously, if anyone thinks I am making it no more fun, please speak up. I am just trying to add a little challenge to it and enjoying torturing you guys a little!

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have all learned Roy leaves the seat up, we may be learning a little too much about some on our members!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
let x= 0 ....... or let y = 0. Don't remember much except that equation plots a straight line and m is the slope

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Either has been accepted to this point, Stan! In the future, though, it will specify either name or username and then it will matter. It may even ask for where the maker lives instead of their name. Kinds like a word clue hunt, you will have to go to their profile to get the info. I am going to make you guys work for it a little more! All in fun, of course and while you are at it, you may learn more about IAP and our members! Stay tuned!
And to think, this guy once told me I'd argue with a stump.....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
More difficult puzzles

Since you can't submit an answer unless you have solved the puzzle, the only puzzles you can make more difficult are crosswords. Which are the most difficult already because you can submit them with a wrong answer (I think).

Jigsaws have the picture as a guide and you only need the picture part to get the answer.

Sliders are fairly easy and if abody spends enough time they'll solve it.

Word search can be solved by anyone - the puzzle does not let you make a mistake.

alphageek

Former Moderator
let x= 0 ....... or let y = 0. Don't remember much except that equation plots a straight line and m is the slope

LOL... yep. that is part of it Smitty. x=0 or y=0 is the intercepts. The problem is getting a 13YO to understand what each of the things represent. For example, at one point in the night she said "Wait - you can put ANY value in for X????" - the concepts of the slope, intercepts, how to calculate any point on the line, etc is the hard part to get across... Good thing is shes a smart kid and it just takes a bit of explaining... By the end of the night she was solid and could figure out points in her head when I'd rattle off an equation out loud - that was the sign that she got it when she didn't need any pencil/paper!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Since you can't submit an answer unless you have solved the puzzle, the only puzzles you can make more difficult are crosswords. Which are the most difficult already because you can submit them with a wrong answer (I think).

Jigsaws have the picture as a guide and you only need the picture part to get the answer.

Sliders are fairly easy and if abody spends enough time they'll solve it.

Word search can be solved by anyone - the puzzle does not let you make a mistake.

Smitty, You are correct. It is not about the puzzles being super difficult as I can not control that part. I can make it more challenging by requiring an exact answer. Besides, if you read the description of the contest, this is more of a fun endurance contest. The more you participate, the higher you chances of winning.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

LOL... yep. that is part of it Smitty. x=0 or y=0 is the intercepts. The problem is getting a 13YO to understand what each of the things represent. For example, at one point in the night she said "Wait - you can put ANY value in for X????" - the concepts of the slope, intercepts, how to calculate any point on the line, etc is the hard part to get across... Good thing is shes a smart kid and it just takes a bit of explaining... By the end of the night she was solid and could figure out points in her head when I'd rattle off an equation out loud - that was the sign that she got it when she didn't need any pencil/paper!
Well today I'd probably need a pencil and paper and probably would not recognize some of the forms the basic equation can appear in. It has been a Long - long time. There are a lot of equations where I could recognize what the plot should look like that I wouldn't have a clue now.

The Penguin

x and y are variables.

m is the slope

b is the value of the y-intercept.

Top Bottom