The TurnTex Woodworks Photo Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

2013 The TurnTex Woodworks Photo Contest Generously Sponsored by: TurnTex Woodworks

Whether photography is your passion, your hobby, or just a necessary evil to showcase your pens, we invite you to participate in our 2013 The TurnTex Woodworks Photo Contest, celebrating the IAP's 9th anniversary!

All IAP members are welcome to participate.

Please read the complete contest rules before entering.

OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES

No donation or payment necessary to enter or win.

Photo Eligibility:
To enter, you must be a registered member of IAP with your First and Last Name and home town and state in your profile. Judges and others participating in the administration of the Photo Challenge are not eligible to participate. Photos can be from any date and do not have to be taken specifically for the contest but THEY MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY SHOWN PUBLICLY PRIOR TO ENTRY.

The photo subject must be relevant to one of the following contest categories:

• Pen Marketing (like you would use on a website to sell your pens)
  • Shop and Shop Life (photos of anything related to penturning)
  • Rules? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Rules!!!! (Almost Anything Goes!)

Photo Formats:
Entries may be color or black & white digital images only. Images must be at least 600 pixels in height, and no more than 800 pixels in width, and be in JPEG or PNG format.

Submitting Digital Images:
Digital images should be submitted using the official entry form. Maximum width: 800 pixels, maximum height:600 pixels. Remember, small pictures will not able to be effectively judged so please give us the biggest picture you can within the limits. Images should be submitted in JPG or PNG format (file extensions can be *.jpg, *.jpeg, or *.png. MAC users, please put the .jpg or .png extension in your file name to help us out). File sizes must be less than 256K per image. ALL PICTURES THAT DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENT WILL BE REJECTED WITHOUT NOTICE! Please ask before you submit an image if you do not understand this.

Image Modifications:
Minor digital enhancement is permitted, but images that have been significantly modified or appear unnatural will be disqualified except for the artistic/creative category where anything goes.

Permitted Modifications:

• Images may be cropped and rotated as necessary.
  • Red-eye removal and spot editing
  • One-step enhancement (such as "AutoFix", "QuickFix", "Auto Levels", etc.)
  • Use of filters to sharpen, soften, blur, despeckle, or remove noise.
  • Use of corrective functions to improve the natural appearance of the image, such as levels, contrast, brightness, curves, intensity, tone, hue, saturation, lightness, value, color balance, and tint

Not Permitted (except for "We Don't Need No Sinkin' Rules"):

• No borders or frames may be added to images.
  • No watermarks, signatures, or copyright notices may be added to images. All winning images will be displayed with the photographer's name.
  • Adding or replacing elements in an image is not permitted.

Special Directions for "We Don't Need No Sinkin' Rules" (cause there are no rules, but there ARE directions!!!):

• Anything not specifically excluded or specifically required is fair game! Heavy digital manipulation, artistic filters, 3D generation, go wild!!!!
  • Bonus points will be awarded for the blatant use of the IAP Logo.
Specifically required:

• Entry MUST BE AN IMAGE FILE meeting the image specifications
  • Image must still be somehow pen related.
Specifically excluded:

• Do not include any personally identifying information
Photographer/Copyright:
Entries must be submitted by the original photographer. Do not submit a photo taken by someone other than you. You must be the sole owner of the copyright of any image submitted. Your submission of the photo is your guarantee that you are the author and copyright holder of the photo.

Ownership/Use Rights:
Photographers retain the copyright to their photographs. By entering the contest, photographers agree to have their submitted photograph displayed on the IAP website without any fee or other form of compensation. Photographers agree that IAP may display winning photos in a "past winners" photo gallery and retain copies of the photograph for promotional purposes. Photos will be credited to the photographer.

How to Enter:
Photos need to be submitted through the official entry from and ABSOLUTELY NOT POSTED ON THE FORUM. If it has been shown on IAP, it is not qualified. Your IAP username, E-Mail address, and First and Last Name are required on the entry form but I highly suggest that you include the other fields so that it will make it easier to send you your prizes if you win! All personal information will be kept strictly confidential and will only be accessible to myself, Jeff, and the person shipping your prize.

A photo may only be entered in one category; up to 2 entries per person per category. Entries must be received by February 22, 2013 11:59 PM PST be eligible.

Judging:
An anonymous panel consisting of 4 expert IAP Members will judge the entries using the following criteria: Composition (5 points) Creativity (5 points) Lighting (5 points) Visual Impact (5 points). In the event of a tie, one randomly selected official from another contest will be asked for an opinion. All contest decisions are final. Entries that fail to comply with the Official Contest Rules will be disqualified.

Prizes will be awarded as follows:

Pen Marketing:

• 1st Place
  • 2nd Place
  • 3rd Place

Shop and Shop Life:

• 1st Place
  • 2nd Place
  • 3rd Place

Rules, We Don't Need No Stinkin' Rules:

• 1st Place
  • 2nd Place
  • 3rd Place
If the link in the text above to the entry form does not work for you, the form can be accessed here:
The TurnTex Woodworks Photo Challenge

http://iapbash.org/bash9/index.php/the-turntex-woodworks-photo-challenge

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

Photo Formats:
Entries may be color or black & white digital images only. Images must be at least 600 pixels in height, and no more than 800 pixels in width, and be in JPEG or PNG format.

Submitting Digital Images:
Digital images should be submitted using the official entry form. Maximum width: 800 pixels, maximum height:600 pixels. Remember, small pictures will not able to be effectively judged so please give us the biggest picture you can within the limits.

Um, "at least 600 pixels in height" and "maximum height:600 pixels"??

Can we get a ruling from the judges?

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I believe the correct size is:

Maximum width: 800 pixels, maximum height:600 pixels. Remember, small pictures will not able to be effectively judged so please give us the biggest picture you can within the limits.

I will wait for conformation from Todd before I edit the rules.

toddlajoie

I believe the correct size is:

Maximum width: 800 pixels, maximum height:600 pixels. Remember, small pictures will not able to be effectively judged so please give us the biggest picture you can within the limits.

I will wait for conformation from Todd before I edit the rules.

Yes, the correct image requirements are the same as the forum limits, no more than 800 pixels wide and no more than 600 pixels high. You can submit smaller images, but this is a photo contest, so your image should be as large as possible within those limitations.

Please define:

1. Pen Marketings

2. No stinking rules

PLease

Pen Marketing would basically be something similar to what you see when you go on a vendor site that is used to show what the finished pens would look like, or when you go on someone's site here who sells their pens, or the Show Off Your Pens (SOYP) forum. Basically pretty pictures of your pens.

Rules? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Rules is an almost anything goes open category for people to have creative fun with. There is no need for the end result to be "photographic", you can use filters to make the photo look like a painting, composites of multiple images, photos mixed with illustrations/graphics/text etc, all the fun stuff that is excluded from the other categories. If you can plug the IAP in there at the same time, there will be bonus points.

Hope that clears everything up, but feel free to ask if anything else is not clear.

Gofer

I went to send a picture in the no rules catagory but it was not a choice, the other two were there with a option for creative use of the IAP logo. Am I missing something?

toddlajoie

I went to send a picture in the no rules catagory but it was not a choice, the other two were there with a option for creative use of the IAP logo. Am I missing something?

The entry form did not get updated to reflect the last minute change from the IAP Logo contest to the No Rules Contest. Just submit under the IAP Logo contest Entry.

SDB777

How do we know if the photo met the 'requirements' or not? Would we have received a PM or something say "Sorry" or "No way"....

Scott (I think I entered but I'm not sure) B

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

The entry form did not get updated to reflect the last minute change from the IAP Logo contest to the No Rules Contest. Just submit under the IAP Logo contest Entry.

Isn't it a blast to explain when you have a technical issue? :eek::biggrin::wink:

toddlajoie

How do we know if the photo met the 'requirements' or not? Would we have received a PM or something say "Sorry" or "No way"....

Scott (I think I entered but I'm not sure) B

I don't think anything I received did not meet the requirements. Yours were just fine...

Here's the entry stats:

Marketing Photos -25 entries
Shop Life - 17 Entries
No Rules - 15 Entries

I'm sending out the photos with generic file names to a selected panel of judges, and will post the results as soon as all the opinions are in...

toddlajoie

Yes, I will post all the entries for each contest in separate threads, and a single thread with the winners of each contest. We're just waiting on one last piece before I can announce the winners. I was aiming for this morning, but a small glitch has set us back a bit. I've got everything ready to go as soon as we have the last piece...

Top Bottom