Youth Beautiful Pen Photos under 14

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We had a lot of entries this first year of the Youth Beautiful Pen competition. Great work by all.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
NUmber 1

Age 11

Fancy Slimline Pen kit. Hand made poly clay blank. Flowers with white speckled background and blue dots. I made the entire blank including the cane flower then sanded and finished on the lathe.

2-3-13 072 4.jpg

2-3-13 077 4.jpg

2-3-13 078 4.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Number 2

Age 11

Funline slimline kit, the wood is birdseye maple finished with CA. Nathaniel cut, drilled and turned the pen. Dad did the CA Finish and Assembly.

_MG_9507.jpg

_MG_9509.jpg

_MG_9511.jpg

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Number 5

Age 12

It is a Gold Click Pen. The blank is from a piece of walnut burl. It was turned using a carbide bit. I sanded it using through 3000 grit and I finished it with friction polish and ren wax. I really like how when the light hits it the wood looks deeper.

walnut burl pen1.JPG

walnut burl pen2.JPG

walnut burl pen3.JPG

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
NUmber 7

Age 6

Luke made this slimline pen using gunmetal components and a black/orange funline acrylic blank from PSI. I cut, drilled & glued the tubes into the blank, then Luke turned, sanded & polished the blank himself (with my supervision). Then we assembled it together. We had a great time!

lk1.jpg

lk2.jpg

lk3.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Number 8

Age 8

Levi made this slimline pen from a red/black/white swirl
acrylic blank & chrome components. I cut, drilled & glued the tubes &
Levi did the rest. We had a great time working together in the shop &
made alot of memories. He can't wait to make his next
one.

le1.jpg

le2.jpg

le3.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Number 9

Age 10

My son Ethan made this gunmetal cigar pen using a spectraply blank from CSUSA. I cut & drilled the blank & Ethan did the rest, including a nice CA finish! He had so much fun making this pen he asked for pen kits & blanks as gifts for his upcoming birthday. I think he's hooked!

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Number 10

Age 12

Except for cutting & drilling the blank my daughter Sarah made this pen by herself. She used a brushed satin polaris kit with a blue/purple acrylic blank that she got as a Christmas present (she actually asked for kits & blanks!). She enjoys turning pens & beads on the lathe. I believe this is her 5th pen. I do believe her old dad has some competition, but that's fine with me.

sa1.jpg

sa2.jpg

sa3.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Number 11

Age 11

This is a Chrome Vertex Click Pen made with Thuya Burl.
It has a CA finish. It was cut, drilled, tubed, trimmed, turned, and
finished by Dakota, age 11. I gave her minimal help with the turning,
and helped her a little with the finishing. She has been making pens
with me for over a year. She wanted to put an Easyflow 9000 refill in
this one because, as she said, "My best pen deserves the best refill!"
"Our Daddy - Daughter time in the shop is the best time together!" -
Dakota

DBD Thuya 1.jpg

DBD Thuya 2.jpg

DBD Thuya 3.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Number 14

Age 8

This is Cainan's very first pen. He first chose the blank then matched the hardware to that. It is a mystery wood blank with gunmetal funline hardware. Cainan did at least 90% of the work on this pen himself to include drilling the blank, gluing in the tubes, turning and sanding it, and finally putting the friction polish on it. He is very excited to have turned his first pen and is chomping at the bit to get out in the shop and do more.

DSCN4467.jpg

DSCN4491.jpg

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Number 15

Age 10

Like his brother Cainan this is Ethan's very first pen. He first chose the blank then matched the hardware to that. It is a redwood blank with satin gold funline hardware. Ethan did at least 90% of the work on this pen himself to include drilling the blank, gluing in the tubes, turning and sanding it, and finally putting the friction polish on it. He is very excited to have turned his first pen and can't wait to take it to school Monday and show all of his friends.

DSCN4493.jpg

DSCN4496.jpg

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Number 16

Age 10

This is a pen I made for my best friend. It is the 2nd pen I've ever made. The wood is Yellow Heart and the pen kit is a PK-PENSAT from PSI. My dad prepared the pen blank, then I did all the turning myself. My friend said the pen was awesome.

patrick_1_web.jpg

patrick_2_web.jpg

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There you have the 17 entries I will have the judges pick the top 5 and put up a poll.

Tell me that they are not all winners. Great Job on the pens by every one.

ossaguy

I'm glad I'm not a judge. It would be hard to pick the winner,they all look so great.Our hobby has a bright future,to be sure!

Steve

markgum

glad I don't have to judge. Looks like the future of this art is in great hands. Any of you could teach me a thing or two about turning pens.
GREAT JOB to all!!!

Wow, These kids don't really need their own contest. It's us older people who might have a hard time competing with them. The students are very quickly becoming the masters.

Top Bottom