The Youth Beautiful Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Welcome to the first contest just for the younger turners of the IAP.

This contest is to let our youngest members and turners, as well as our adult members children compete in the Bash Pen making competitions, competing only within their own age groups. There will be 2 divisions. Ages 14 to 16 and under 14 years of age. Your age group is determined by your age on the start of the Bash, Febuary 1st.

Only Ball Point Pens are allowed. NO roller balls or Fountain pens will be accepted.
No laser work or cnc produced pens or parts are allowed.
It must be made from a commercially available kit.
For this year there will be no modifications to the kits allowed.
Adults may assist in the turning of the pen but the entrants must have "hands on" in the making of the pen. (Under 14 category)
The pen may not have been posted anywhere before the February 1st deadline.
Up to three pictures of the pen may be submitted there will be an entry form to submit your pen.

The contest will start on February First and will entries will be due no later than Sunday the 17th at 11:59pm EST. Entry Forms will be available at the start of the bash. Pictures will be posted and a poll or polls will be taken to determine the winning 3 pens. Depending on the amount of submissions we may need to have more than 1 poll to select the winning pens.
Submissions:
All entries are due 11:59pm EST. Sunday February 17th
You must use the entry form that will be provided to submit your pen.
YOU MUST SUBMIT THE PEN UNDER YOUR PARENTS/GRANDPARENTS/ADULT USER NAME. If your old enough to be a member you may use your own member name.
The first poll(s) will be posted on Feb. 18th, and voting will end on Feb. 24th the final polls will be posted and the voting results will become public at that time.

All entries will be posted at the same time following the contests deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

1st place ---TBA
2nd place---TBA
3rd place---TBA

Rules are subject to change for clarification or safety.

Please take the time to teach your child the safety rules for working with the tools we use. Have fun and show us your Beautiful pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have our first entry and its a great pen! Looking forward to seeing some more great pens from our young adult turners.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have a gorgeous pen submitted by our second under 14 turner. Its turning out to be a great start by the younger turners. We still have lots of time to submit a pen. Take time to partner up with the children and young adults in your life to make a pen together. What a great way to share yourself and your time.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have our second pen in the 14 to 16 year old compititon. Our younger turners can make some very nice pens.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Our prizes for the Youth Pen compitition this year are

14-16 year olds.
FIrst ... A box of blanks from Displaced Canadian and a Copy of Don Wards (Its_Virgil) book.

Second..... Calipers from Landon Smith (hunter27)

Third..... A box of blanks from Firewhatfire.

Under 14
First .... A box of Blanks From Displaced Canadian, and a copy of Don Wards book.
Second.... Calipers From Landon Smith
Third ..... A box of blanks from Camoboy91

We will also have a random drawing from those entries that didnt win for 1 great Prize for a beginnig turner.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Looks like we have two more entries tonight. Im posting a Quote from one of them that sums up all the reasons why I thought this competition was a good thing to do.
"I had a really fun time making this pen with my dad."
I cant identify the young turner or his dad yet but Im glad it happened. Im sure they do to.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Thats a shame but take the time to make one together anyway. Even if it doesnt make it in time for the competition you can show us the "Day late and a Dollar short" pen.

I think this should be a monthly contest. I know my kid loved it and was already asking when the next contest was. Maybe we have a Sponsored contest where each dad/mom pays a couple of bucks to enter each child and the money is used as prizes, maybe one of the vendors would like to start a monthly " XYZ pen supplies Youth Pen Contest" just some thoughts that would keep the kids turning.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It sounds good and Im sure it could be done although I think on monthly Basis it would be a little much. Quarterly or semi annually could be done. To often and people would keep putting it off for the next one. Im very sure sponsorship would not be a problem.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have a total of 9 entries for the youth contest, 6 in the under 14 and 3 in the 14-16 bracket. There is still time to join in and make a pen. Not everyone will win but no one loses.

woodwzrd

We have a total of 9 entries for the youth contest, 6 in the under 14 and 3 in the 14-16 bracket. There is still time to join in and make a pen. Not everyone will win but no one loses.

My boys (8 and 10) should be finishing up their entries tonight. They are supper excited to be able to enter.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have 7 "under 14" entries and 5 "14-16" year old entries. so far our youngest contestant is 6 years old. What a great way to spend time with your child and teach him a skill.

And as I was typing our 8th under 14 entry is in. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have 10 that right 10 "under !4" entries 4 from one family alone. Great going to all of you.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have not a doubt Phil. The great thing is we have a lot of great pens made by the combined team work of our members and their kids. We are up to 11 under 14 entries.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have a great turn out for the Youth Pen contest 18 entries between the two catagories. Great pens so far, Im looking forward to those that are coming in just under the wire

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have around 7 hours left in the Youth Pen contest. We have 13 enties in the under 14 age group. Its not to late to get your pen in but you are running out of time.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
WOW 16, under 14 age group contestants. Its getting crowded in here but we can still squeeze in a bunch more pens. Its 7:19pm here on the east coast and I expect this side to taper off but there is still time for the Midwest and west coast to get their pens done and submitted

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We are offically closed for entries an we have a whopping 17 youth entries in the under 14 age group and 5 14-16 year olds. What a great bunch of pens. Speaking of which will have descriptions and photos up as soon as I can. I will have them to the judges and will
post the polls as soon as I can.

Top Bottom