Question for Feb. 22

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to day 22 of the trivia contest.

Question for day 22, How many local chapters are listed in the local chapters forum?

Email your answers to trivia@penturners.org And be sure to put the date for the question in the subject line.

Good luck and happy hunting. Remember, you have until 12 noon ET to answer the question. You can only submit 1 answer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

dang... he makes us count so early in the morning...
questions like this need to have a warning...
MUST HAVE CONSUMED 1 FULL CUP OF MORNING WAKE JUICE BEFORE ANSWERING!!!

panamag8or

Since each one is listed on two pages, do we use that number? Hmm...

Anyway, I deserve to win simply for submitting my answer like "The Count".
the-count.jpg

Last edited:

Russianwolf

Let's see, that would be a number somewhere between 0 and 1,000,000,000. Could only be..... no it couldn't........ ah what the heck......

13!!!!!!!!!!

One of these days it will actually be the correct answer to something and I'll get yelled at. :cool:

edicehouse

Let's see, that would be a number somewhere between 0 and 1,000,000,000. Could only be..... no it couldn't........ ah what the heck......

13!!!!!!!!!!

One of these days it will actually be the correct answer to something and I'll get yelled at. :cool:

Then you will have to look yourself in the mirror and reflect on your answers.:biggrin:

JustmeinMS

13!!!!!!!!!!

I will take that answer and reverse it. I'll say 31. :biggrin:

Russianwolf

13!!!!!!!!!!

Then you will have to look yourself in the mirror and reflect on your answers.:biggrin:

But I'm a vampire. I can't reflect.

Attachments

• vampire8.gif
    vampire8.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

Russianwolf

because its a reflection and not a refraction.

Lenses refract light and flip the image on both planes. Mirrors reflect light and flip it only on one plane (and its not really flipping it, its just reversing the perspective).

Last edited:

Sylvanite

Bzzz! Sorry, wrong - but thanks for playing!

Good try though. Lenses only flip images because they are symmetric around their central axis. Therefore, light entering from one angle is refracted opposite of light entering from the opposite side.

But, we're talking about reflection, not refraction. What special property enables a mirror to know which way is up? If you rotate a mirror, your image in it does not change. Why does it reverse your reflection side-to-side, and not head-to-toe?

Russianwolf

Good try though. Lenses only flip images because they are symmetric around their central axis. Therefore, light entering from one angle is refracted opposite of light entering from the opposite side.

But, we're talking about reflection, not refraction. What special property enables a mirror to know which way is up? If you rotate a mirror, your image in it does not change. Why does it reverse your reflection side-to-side, and not head-to-toe?

[scratches head] isn't that what I said.

Its actually not flipping the image. It is reflecting(can't think of another word) light as it runs parallel to each other. So what is on the right remains on the right regardless of the orientation of the mirror. if there is a special term, I'm not familiar with it.

(and we are talking of flat plane mirrors here as concave mirrors can flip an image similar to lenses depending on your relation to the focal point)

terryf

its called chirality and the effect is because of the 3rd dimensional plane

[scratches head] isn't that what I said.

Its actually not flipping the image. It is reflecting(can't think of another word) light as it runs parallel to each other. So what is on the right remains on the right regardless of the orientation of the mirror. if there is a special term, I'm not familiar with it.

(and we are talking of flat plane mirrors here as concave mirrors can flip an image similar to lenses depending on your relation to the focal point)

Sylvanite

You're getting warm! :) If a mirror (and yes, I mean a regular flat mirror) doesn't actually flip the image, why is it that a person's reflection appears reversed left-to-right?

its called chirality and the effect is because of the 3rd dimensional plane
Yes, the answer does involve chirality - actually both chirality and achirality.

If you stand on your head the image is upside down...
If you stand on your head (in front of a mirror presumably), your shirt falls down in front of your face and obscures the image, so according to Schrodinger, your reflection would be in a superposition of eigenstates whose waveform wouldn't collapse until you peeked out from under the collar. :biggrin: At that point, however, you'd see that your reflection was standing on its head too - and was still reversed left-to-right.

Keep the guesses coming - they're very close!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Feb. 22 winners

[FONT=&quot]Feb 22 winners are:

[/FONT]

Draken

and

rholiday
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Question for day 22 - How many local chapters are listed in the Local Chapter forum?
Answer - 31

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

There were 60 participants and they were assigned the number that their entry was received
[FONT=&quot] in. The two random numbers generated were 30 and 35

Ed will be along shortly to post today's prizes.

[/FONT]Again congratulations to:[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Draken
and
rholiday

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
And the prizes for the 22th!!

#41 and #221

#41 is the 16 ounce Alumilite Clear!!! Once again the IAP thanks Alumilite for their donation---each year they give us 8 of these 16 ounce kits. This certainly helps enable us to give 2 prizes a day to the Trivia winners!!!

#221 is the second box of blanks from member Nova1uni!! Again, we thank Cindy for her participation each year!!!

He who posts first (starting now) gets his choice!!

Ed

Draken

Wow, I won! Thank you IAP and all of the donators and volunteers that make this bash so much fun each year. I look forward to trying my hand at casting with the Alumilite kit.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wow, I won! Thank you IAP and all of the donators and volunteers that make this bash so much fun each year. I look forward to trying my hand at casting with the Alumilite kit.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Wow, not even a MENTION of the "hoped for kringle"!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Wow, not even a MENTION of the "hoped for kringle"!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Maybe you should auction off a box of kringles.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Maybe you should auction off a box of kringles.

That COULD happen, we will see how the auctions are going.
After all, with an IAP mug full of coffee......................

Draken

Truth be told, after I won that Kringle that one year, we ordered a year of Kringle from the bakery. I still have 6 halves of them vacuum sealed and in the freezer, so I'm good on the Kringle front. :biggrin:

Sylvanite

The answer

Q: Why does a mirror reverse your reflection side-to-side, but not head-to-toe?
A: It doesn't.

The physics formula for reflection is:
angle of incidence = angle of reflection.

A reflective surface (i.e. a mirror) doesn't know anything about what it's reflecting. The light waves bounce off according to the above formula regardless of where they originate.

Why then does your reflection appear reversed? The answer to that lies in human psychology -- the high value we place on symmetry. Our bodies are not perfectly symmetric in any way, but they are much more symmetric left-to-right than any way. Therefore, when we mentally compare ourselves to our reflections, we automatically choose to rotate around the head-to-toe axis. This mapping preserves the most symmetry. When compared to the reflection that way, we perceive it to be reversed left-to-right.

That's not the only mapping though, and there's no reason (other than symmetry) to prefer it. If you imagine flipping your body upside down, as if you pivoted around a horizontal bar, then you'd say that the your standing reflection was reversed head-to-toe rather than left-to-right.

If you pictured yourself rotated around a line sticking out of the mirror instead, then you'd say that the mirror reversed your reflection both ways.

Finally (and this is the hardest one), if you can imagine pushing your backside out through your front without rotating at all, and comparing that transformation to the reflection, you'd see that the mirror didn't flip your image at all.

So, this teaser wasn't about physics at all, but about human perception.

I hope that was interesting,
Eric

Top Bottom