SOME EXPLANATION -- PLEASE READ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

I would like to say a few things about the Wood ID posts.

In the Rules it says that "common names" will be accepted, as they have been but in some cases they are 'too' specific or not specific enough.

For instance;- 'Eucalyptus' is the genus name and refers to approx 800+ different woods. Consequently I cannot accept 'Eucalyptus' on its own.
Same applies for 'Acacia' or 'Wattle' there are approx 1000 different acacias throughout the world.

In the case of day 9, about the 6th guess was "black mulga", I was going to accept that until I Googled it and found that Black Mulga is a different genus to the well known 'Mulga'.

I realise that it is difficult but I am trying to make it fair for everyone, there will be some US specific woods included.

Bob.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I would like to say a few things about the Wood ID posts.

In the Rules it says that "common names" will be accepted, as they have been but in some cases they are 'too' specific or not specific enough.

For instance;- 'Eucalyptus' is the genus name and refers to approx 800+ different woods. Consequently I cannot accept 'Eucalyptus' on its own.
Same applies for 'Acacia' or 'Wattle' there are approx 1000 different acacias throughout the world.

In the case of day 9, about the 6th guess was "black mulga", I was going to accept that until I Googled it and found that Black Mulga is a different genus to the well known 'Mulga'.

I realise that it is difficult but I am trying to make it fair for everyone, there will be some US specific woods included.

Bob.
I thought when I saw the name of this contest that you were letting yourself in for a lot of heartburn and headaches...I know I have gotten blanks with the same name from different sources and when I compared them - they look nothing alike Eucalyptus comes to mind as one of them.

fitty

Bob, your doing great job coordinating the event. You have been consistent with the rules as I recall from Day 6 or 7 the wood was a fig tree, and while there where a number of figs posted, the winner posted the correct common name. As well on day 8, I had posted Beech hoping to for a response of "close" from you. 4 hours and a clue later, I came up with the right common name.

It has been enjoyable for me, and I'm sure others, the wood you select every day. Keep up the good work!

Bob Wemm

Thanks Mike and Jeff,

I just wanted people to understand some of the problems with using common names.
Perhaps in the future we should accept only Botanical names seeing that everything is available on Google now.

Cheers,
Bob.

markgum

Bob;
THANKS for running this. It's a fun contest, gives us something to ponder and search on. :confused: My guess for most woods with photos is purdy wood or ugly wood. :confused:
I believe your doing a wonderful job and I appreciate it.

Last edited:

The Penguin

Bob;
THANKS for running this. It's a fun contest, gives us something to ponder and search on. :confused: My guess for most woods with photos is purdy wood or ugly wood. :confused:
speaking of pondering and searching...I've been trying to figure out which shop is yours.

:confused:

tim self

Bob;

You forgot dead, free and found wood.

Top Bottom