The Frankenpen (Modified Pen) Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

The Frankenpen Contest
(AKA: Modified Pen Contest)

Below are last year's winners

1st place.jpg2nd place.jpg3rd place.jpg

Here is another chance to think outside of the pen kit bag. Your mission if you choose to accept it is to create the best modified kit pen. It can be a compillation of pen parts from different kits or using some parts from a kit and creating some of your own parts.

This is a contest to find creative ways to modify a ballpoint pen. It is open to all members and there are some great prizes to be won.

This contest will open on Feb 1, 2012 and close on Feb. 17, 2012 at 11:59pm EST without exception. Each entry must be submitted with an entry form and NOT posted in this thread. As entries come in, teasers will be posted. All pens will be fully revealed on Feb 17 in the evening.

Submission of Your Frankenpen
You must use the entry form provided when submitting your pen. Any pen posted to this thread will be disqualified. All entries must be received by Sunday, February 17 at 11:59 pm EST. (ENTRY FORM WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON)

How the winners will be chosen:

The full IAP body will have its chance to vote for their favorite modification beginning the evening of Feb 18. Voting will close Feb 23 at 10:00 pm EST.

The top three vote getters will then be posted for another vote beginning the evening of Feb 23 of the full IAP body which will close on Feb 27 at 10:00 pm EST. The winners will be announced on Feb 28 (or possibly sooner).

Rules for the Frankenpen Contest are:
1 - Must use a ballpoint kit(s) in the creation of your pen. At least TWO external components must be identifiable as kit pieces. Capped ballpoints are allowed.
No fountain pen or rollerball pens will be accepted.

2 - This is a pen kit contest, not a creative blank contest or kitless contest. Modifications and creative ways to use kit parts are the focus of this contest.

3 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1, 2013. Any pen shown publicly (Not just on IAP) prior to Feb. 01, 2013 will be ineligible.

4 - Winners will be chosen by the pictures you send. Only two photos of each pen will be shown. Take the best pictures you can since this is all we will have to judge the modificaitons and quality of the fit and finish.

5 - Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places.

6 - There is a fourth prize which will be awarded by the chair of the Frankenpen Contest. This prize will go to one of the penmakers not chosen for the final vote.

7. Any pen submitted in this thread will be disqualified. It must be submitted using the entry form.

8. To participate in this or any other IAP activity your public profile must contain your real first and last name as well as you place of residence (city & state or equivilant). Please be advised that information contained in the public profile is not viewable by non-members of the IAP. Members who have failed to sucessfully complete any previous IAP activities, and who have been notified by the Activities Manager of such, are not elegible to participate in any IAP activities.

Please contact Eric (Buzzzz4) with any questions.

Buzzzz4

A Clarification

The term 'kit" , when used in this contest, means a ballpoint pen kit. At least two of the components must be identifiable as coming from ballpoint pen kits. If you have any questions, please ask. Thanks!

Buzzzz4

Frist Entry!

Here is teaser for you to get the brain juices flowing. Quite creative, I must say! (This is a teaser. The full pen will be posted at voting time)

Attachments

• Teaser 1.jpg
    Teaser 1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 476

Buzzzz4

Some fun pens coming in. Here are the entries in no particular order so far. By the looks of things, it is anyone's contest. They all look great and are showing what you can do with ballpoint parts. Some have incorporated rollerball pieces but I do see at least two ballpoint parts in theres.

Attachments

• DSC03695.JPG
    DSC03695.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 420
  • Franken2.jpg
    Franken2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 358
  • FrankenPen1.jpg
    FrankenPen1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 604
  • iap 2013 frankenpen (2).JPG
    iap 2013 frankenpen (2).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 388
  • Whistler2.jpg
    Whistler2.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 366

Buzzzz4

Prizes Prizes Prizes!!!!

1st $150 Kallenshaan Set of 6 different dog inlay kits
2nd $100 Steve G Box of blanks
3rd $50 ElMostro gift card.

Good luck to all who enter!

Buzzzz4

An entry with some bling! Based on a slimline kit. Traded out the centerband and moved it to the top to add a stylus.

Attachments

• Frankenpen_1.jpg
    Frankenpen_1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 284

Buzzzz4

Time to start showing off some pens with a bit of detail on each one. Enjoy! The voting will begin on Monday. Still time to get your entry in!

Buzzzz4

Nib and lower section are from a Wood Craft gold Eurokit. Upper section is a PSI USB key chain kit with the top cap from a WC gold slimline replacing the keychain button at the top of the pen.
Wood is Maple Burl salvage from Goodwill.

rsz_fp2.jpg
rsz_fp3.jpg

Buzzzz4

All Chrome Med/sizeb/point. Sierra size with an Americana Twist Mechanism. I used a Lancer nib, c/band, and Cap, Sierra E/Beauty Click ChromeGrip, American Filigree Body Tube and clip Blank is AltBone sanded to a high polish. I removed the gloss finish to make it look like bone. I pulled apart a Lancergrip/c/band nib and cap made a bush to hold the c/band and grip and drilled it to fit and attach to an 8mm brass tube to take the Americana twist mechanism. I made a bushing for the nib, drilled Lancer cap bush to twist the mechanism. I drilled the filigree clip to fit Lancer cap bushing. Weight is 1.5 oz/43gram

100_3645.jpg

100_3656.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

A euronibbed cigar with cigar finial and clip and a 30-06cartridge rim(from one of my cartridge pens) as a centerband on atie-died orange acrylic blank.
frankenrev1.jpg
frankenrev2.jpg

Buzzzz4

Amboyna Burl "Siegar" pen. Uses Parker refills. Sierratransmission and grip + Cigar clip, finial and actuator - "Siegar". Overall length is about the same as a normal Cigarpen.
FrankenPen-Siegar-3.jpg
FrankenPen-Siegar-1.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

The pen and custom stand were intended to look like amicrophone. The type of mic you would find on a desk or in front of akick drum or guitar cabinet. There are actually 3 external kit piecesseen externally: the nose, the centerband (seen at the finial) and thecenterband from a slimline kit (CSUSA) as the switch. The pen is madefrom black acrylic and brass. It uses a cross refill andtransmission.The stand is brass tubing and blackwood base.

Micfull.jpg

Micdetail.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

Salvaged Zircote blanks from a failedassembly of one of my first pens, now on a Chrome Slimline with thecenter band replaced by a September birth stone necklace bead. Astylus end was added to the top of the pen with the original centerband being used to extend the Stylus out more.
Frankenpen_20.jpg
Frankenpen_10.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

This is the SKINNY WHISTLER! Blank isBubblegum Dymondwood. Works great as a safety pen (but not so not sogreat as a safety pin). :) An optional name is the the 'WhistleWhile You Work' Pen.

Whistler2.jpg

Whistler.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

Black ebonite lower end with white home castupper. The hardwire is fron three styles all chrome. The clip is froma cigar, the center band is from european and the tip end is from aslimline. The center band is on the lower part of the pen, not theclip end. I used a slimline transmission and cross stylerefill.
iap2013frankenpen2.jpg

Buzzzz4

This pen is a capped ballpoint. It combines variouspieces from two cigar pen kits, an unidentified fountain pen kit I hadrobbed for parts previoiusly, a piece off another fountain pensection, the clip from a perfect fit, the nosecone from an americana,and a slimline tube. A few of the coomponents needed modification tofit, but mostly it's a conglomeration of parts (in the frankenpenspirit).
FrankenPen1.jpg
FrankenPen2.jpg

Buzzzz4

Old pen parts never die...they arere-purposed into frankenpens.This pen is the result of merging leftover/damaged components fromblack Ti sierra variants with the innards/trip pieces from an old PSI2-way pen kit. The end result is a 4.4 inch pen based loosely on thesierra form with red and black mini-ink refills. The ink colorselected depends on which direction you turn the barrel. Right forred and left for black.This little pen weighs in at a hefty 43 grams and is a pleasure towrite with.
DSC03695.jpg
DSC03697.jpg

Buzzzz4

Lipstick Pen Kit parts used (visible kit parts) includefront coupler, center band coupler and refill.Other modification include:Shop made tip made from 316 Stainless steal to fit kit thread andaccept an Alvin collet. The internal mechanism was shortened about 1 inch.The pen will accept a ballpoint refill or 2mm pencil lead. See openpicture for ball point version or the capped picture to see 2mm leadversion.Details were added to the finished blank to prevent the pen fromrolling off a desk or other surface since a clip was not used. Threeflat surfaces were added around the exterior of the pen.Since this contest is about kit parts and not about blanks atranslucent blank was used to better show the internaldetails.
Franken2.jpg
Franken1.jpg

Buzzzz4

And there we have it! whew! Putting this poll together will be a challenge. But I promise to do my best. Once again, there is still time to get in your entry. Don't let these Frankenpens scare you away. I'm sure you have some ballpoint parts lying around you can do something with. Also, if you have sent in an entry and do not see it here, please resubmit it. These are all that I have gotten. Thanks and Good luck to all!

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

No ooohhhs or ahhhhhhs? Hello, is this mic on? oh, I was just talking into a pen. Hmmm I hear crickets. I've never seen a thread so long of one guy just talking to himself.... yes, this is banter and smack...and bumping.

RichF

Lot's of great entries here. They all look like they were built following the kit maker's directions. It will be a tough choice.

Buzzzz4

A spectacular concoction of two kits consisting of thenib of the Guardian and the click mechanism of the Apex. The two kitsare melded into one with the use of Malachitetru-stone.
12273.jpg
12383.jpg

markgum

HOLY WOW!!!!! what a nice bunch of pens from 'stuff' in the shop. Yeah dumbfounded on what to say.. GREAT JOB everyone...

Top Bottom