YouTube.. sharpening a bandsaw blade.Work Great

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello, on you tube is a video on how to sharpen a bandsaw blade with a dremel tool and cut off blade. Its fast and works great I have sharpened the same blade 3 times now and its almost like new. Check it out this will save a ton of money for you guys like me who use the bandsaw everyday. Not great for high tooth count, but I use 3-4 TPI a lot. I hope the link works, i have never tried to link anything to a post. Good Luck, Victor
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-AnDvUqe1Ac&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-AnDvUqe1Ac&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt

Hmmm... my blade is 115", that might take a while! :D

That means bigger savings than buying a new blade too. ;)

I've been sharpening my bandsaw blade with Dremel but in a different way. I'll try this style next time.

I can do a 93-1/2" 4 TPI blade in ten minutes and have only used this method a few times. As I said its not for a high tooth count. It does work really well, and you can sharpen as fast as he does in the video with goo results. Its worth a try before you drop another $10-$25 on a new blade. Victor

Firefyter-emt

I wonder how that method would affect the tracking and drift of a blade? I have a smaller blade on my saw that drifts bad to one side becasue it accidently hit a steel guide block because I forgot to move the thrust bearing forward when swapping out a wider blade one day. It's a fine tooth, but might still be worth giving it a shot to see how it works. It was a great blade for scrolls.

Dario

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt

I wonder how that method would affect the tracking and drift of a blade?

With my current method, I get to that problem after the 3rd sharpening. Still, I got more from my blade than I would have if I didn't sharpen so I am not complaining.

Dario

Tried it this morning and worked great.

One note...make sure you make grinds as even as possible on all the teeth. Obvious but if not done, the longer/protruding teeth will be very grabby. The sharpened blade cuts like new except the grabby part. Tested it on TX Ebony and it didn't complain a bit. Sharpening my 72" (3 tpi) blade took about 5 minutes. Surely worth my time and maybe I'll get better and faster in time.

I sure will use this style of sharpening now.

BTW, I used a Dremel with what I believe is 180 grit diamond lapidary bit.

M

Mudder

Just tried it on a 115" 4 tooth blade and it works well. Took me about 12 minutes total and it brought a dead blade back to life.

Just sharpened my blade for the fourth time, and I think I can get one or two more with out losing to much tooth set. This really works well, just use the cheap brittle cut off wheels, I have been getting only one or two sharpenings from one disc(just so brittle). dario you will get better and faster, I have after only5 times. Glad I had saved(not sure why at the time) my worn out blades, now they will have new life. I figure this will save me hundreds of dollars just over the course of a year. Good luck, Victor

Dario

Originally posted by LandfillLumber

just use the cheap brittle cut off wheels, I have been getting only one or two sharpenings from one disc(just so brittle).

I am afraid of brittle things spinning fast. I'll stick with my diamond bits. They are made in China but works great.

dario you will get better and faster, I have after only5 times.

I really hope so. :D

Glad I had saved(not sure why at the time) my worn out blades, now they will have new life.

I do this sort of thing all the time. You ask why? What's wrong with you? ;)[}:)] LOL

Top Bottom