Wood that darkens with age?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

I have a prospective customer looking for a pen with wood that darkens with age. This will be without a CA finish I assume. Anybody know of anything. She asked about Cherry.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Hmm...I think Osage Orange might do the trick. Anybody have any to sell?

Cocobolo and Bois de Rose come to mind. Almost turn black

Cherry does darken, but how dark does she want it to get is the question.

Osage Orange turns from bright yellow to a deep brown.

The Penguin

I have a bowl blank...but I'm not parting with it.

I do have a couple jumbo Bois de Rose that I'd trade for something else if you're interested.

renowb

What would you consider trading for? I have various blanks, wood, acrylic, etc.

I have a bowl blank...but I'm not parting with it.

I do have a couple jumbo Bois de Rose that I'd trade for something else if you're interested.

renowb

Man, Monty, you got me thinkin'. When would be a good time, if you are serious that is...

Hmm...I think Osage Orange might do the trick. Anybody have any to sell?

Cocobolo and Bois de Rose come to mind. Almost turn black

Cherry does darken, but how dark does she want it to get is the question.

Osage Orange turns from bright yellow to a deep brown.

I have some if you want to come down and pick it up.

JohnGreco

Padauk will go from bright orange to deep red, and Cherry does change nicely from a light color to that easily recognized reddish-brown. Those are some of the more noticeable color changes you'll see, but just about every wood darkens with age. Even Pine will go a few shades darker.

Chasper

Cherry, osage, alder mulberry, red cedar, and a large number of other woods darken when exposed to sunlight for an extended time (months to years). It doesn't matter if they are coated with CA or other finishes, they will still darken. There are UV resistant finishes that will slow down the darkening, but nothing will stop it.

Most light colored wood will "mellow" over time, meaning they will go from whitish to pale brownish

phocques

Definitely Cocobolo...hav one that I turned myself at least 6mths ago and use it regularly. The finish was simple wood-turners polish and the look of the wood now is a really nice dark brown, still with some of the original colour showing through. Also, plain Amboyna Burl - use only a finishing polish and it darkens very nicely.

Jim Burr

Banned
Purple heart really is a shame...I have a perfectly made jewelry box of PH and wenge...the PH is almost brown now. Make sure it's a darkening wood rather than a color changing wood.

The Penguin

Here's the BdR I found in my stash

Attachments

• image-1713044850.jpg
    image-1713044850.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 135

carpblaster

Osage Orange would be my choice, i got a long bow that is over 30 yrs old and was bright yellow when i had it made now it is dark brown with a tint of orangish in it, its a beautiful piece of wood,

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would go with Osage Orange or Cherry because they are easily available. Another wood not mentioned so far is mulberry. Mulberry will change from a teak (golden-like) color to an almost walnut color - in an unfinished state.

renowb

Thanks for the input. She decided on Cherry. But I have learned a lot and thank you very much for the answers! You guys are my encyclopedia of knowledge!

Top Bottom