What Paint?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LSUTIGERDOC

Anyone care to share tip on what type of paint to use for spray painting the brass tubes prior to the gluing process so that the brass doesn't show through the body. ie: painting the brass tube white when using it for a pearl white acrylic pen.

The paints I have used all seem to want to come off in the presence of epoxy when glued.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheelman

I've had problems with glue marks showing when painting the tubes, I read somewhere to paint the inside of the blank to avoid the glue showing. Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to try brushing it in on a few and using spray paint to see which works better.

southernclay

FWIW I use Testors Enamel and a Qtip or small brush......but I paint the inside of the tube after drilling, let it dry overnight then glue and let dry overnight. Sometimes when you paint the tube you can still see the epoxy or glue through the tube. Some paint tube and inside tube. I've had good results so far with just the inside of the tube

walshjp17

Like Warren, I use a Q-Tip to paint the inside of the drilled hole using Testor's enamel model paints. I let it dry for 24 hours; I then add a few drop of the same color paint to epoxy (two to three max), mix it up and slather it on the tube. Insert the tube and let dry for another 24 hours.

Last edited:

JasonC

I paint both the tube, reverse paint the blank, let the tube and blank dry for a day, and mix paint into the epoxy.

It's likely redundant, but it works.

I use Pactra RC paint for polycarbonate bodies. The nitromethane in RC fuel doesn't bother it.

Last edited:

Jim Smith

I find that Rust-Oleum spray paint works best for me. I paint both the tube and inside the blank, let them dry 24 hours and then glue in the tube. I've tried some of the cheaper spray paints, but they tend to clump or drip and do not give as nice of a smooth even coat of paint. I have several different colors of spray paint that I use depending on the look I'm going for on the pen. If you haven't tried it yet, using the same blank, paint one with one color (say bright red) and the other blank with a different color (say dark blue) and you will have two very different looking pens. That's part of the fun of using acrylic pen blanks.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom