Using Parchment paper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

super8mm

I tried to search on this but no luck.

I use 5 minute epoxy and was using cardboard under it and laying my blanks on. I got tired of tearing the cardboard off sometimes to get my blank off it so I tried some of my wife's parchment paper she uses for baking and the epoxy wont stick to it :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

I buy the big rolls of waxed white butcher paper, like the kind they wrap your steaks in. It is cheap and works great. I use it for glue ups and also under my buffer when polishing pens. Makes clean up very easy! I simply tear off a big piece to cover my work area and hold it down with a bit of painters tape.

I use both, but I usually use parchment paper because it lays down better and doesn't seem to slide as much. Some parchment papers seem to be more slippery on one side, and that's the side I place face up.

Herb G

For the few pens I've made so far, I use waxed paper.
I can get a whole big roll of it at the local grocery store for about $2 or so.
I've used epoxy & CA glue on it, never had a problem, and the price is right.
Cheap. (Which is right up my alley.) :)

Herb G

I've never had it rub off when I used it. You can't scrub together epoxy on it, but you can sure mix it well with a popsicle stick.

CREID

I've never had it rub off when I used it. You can't scrub together epoxy on it, but you can sure mix it well with a popsicle stick.

And just think if you do a lot of pens, You need a lot of popsicle sticks.:biggrin:
Personally, I think the root beer ones work best.:wink:

Herb G

I like the Dreamsicles myself. ;>)
I haven't had a root beer popsicle in 40 years.
I didn't even know they made them still.

CREID

I like the Dreamsicles myself. ;>)
I haven't had a root beer popsicle in 40 years.
I didn't even know they made them still.

Sometimes in the summer, I get a bag of assorted and they have rootbeer ones in it. I am a diabetic though so I buy sugar free.

Charlie_W

Sounds like we are talking about gluing tubes in the blanks here.

I usually save some of the junk mail cards/flyers we all get in the mail....for free.....from the gym, driveway sealing folks, political adds, etc. I mix my epoxy on the card with a toothpick and then leave the blank(s) there on the card till dry.

If you are gluing up in bulk, one of those plastic/cardboard road signs you see at intersections work great!...

I also use the plastic/cardboard signs when cutting bowl blanks on the bandsaw. I just cut some in circles and place under the blank so it slides easily while sawing to round. This way, the rough sawn bowl blank doesn't catch on the edge of the saw table or miter groove.

Skie_M

That's not a bad idea to try out, especially if you want nice smooth movement on a circle cutting jig. Just keep spare pieces of the plastic/cardboard of some common sizes that you use handy and put it on the jig before your wood and you have an easy visual of where you want the cutting to start!

jsolie

I must be the cheapskate of the bunch as I use the advertisements that are mailed to my house. I don't mind if it sticks to my blanks, they turn right off. Sometimes it's a good indicator of when "round" is achieved. But good to know about the parchment paper and wax paper.

Top Bottom