International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Default Tip: Gluing up Acrylic Blanks

Here's a tip that will save you some headaches. Make sure to shoot some accelerator down the inside of your blank before you insert the tube if you glue up with CA. You can spin the blank and even do a little back and forth pushing to evenly distribute the glue before it sets up if you use thick CA.

Why accelerate the blank? Well the reason is that CA usually gets the curing process started by grabbing some moisture from the blank when you do a wooden pen. Even a dry blank has 7-9% moisture which is enough to trigger the curing of the CA. An acrylic blank has ZERO moisture unless you put it there.

It's possible to have the ends cure from moisture in the air but the center of the blank is still liguid CA trapped that might as well be in the CA container. Sometimes the blank will spin if enough force is applied to shear the small amount that actually has cured. Moistening the inside with accelerator solves this problem. All the CA cures and you get a nice strong bond.

What a long strange trip it's been!
The 60's will never leave, if we refuse to leave them!!
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Interesting idea. My fear would be the ca setting up before I got the tube seated properly. I'm certainly game to giving it a try though.

Thanks for the tip.
Carl
Old 10-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 15

I've had too many CA tubes set with the tube half in to be comfortable with that idea.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Work fast... know your motions before you do it and zoom zoom... it's in. Haven't lost one yet.

What a long strange trip it's been!
The 60's will never leave, if we refuse to leave them!!
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Good tip Bree. But this is why is use epoxy.

Jason
jasontg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerwood View Post
I've had too many CA tubes set with the tube half in to be comfortable with that idea.
1) Don't use thin for gluing up tubes.
2) Don't glue while the blank is still hot from drilling.
3) If you use fluid to keep the blank cool while drilling, remember water will accelerate the curing process (it can make medium set up while trying to spread the glue--slide in the tube)

If you follow these hints, in ten years of making pens I had about three set before I was ready.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I use the thick CA and have found that if the tube to drilled hole fit is tight, you will have issues if you dilly dally. Cyanoacrylate dries in the absence of oxygen. Don't believe it, put some on a couple of tight fitting pieces of anything and press it together and you don't have time to blink before they're stuck. On your fingers the moisture adds to the speed of irretrievable stuckness. If you find the tube is stuck half way in, simply use a fine tooth coping saw to remover the protrusion and insert it in the other end of the blank with some CA on it and the issue is solved.
WB
Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 138

I totally agree with WB. Considering that usually the press-fitted mechanism parts only use a small amount of each end to secure themselves, the cut-off and insert to the other end works just about every time. I have rescued several work-ups that way before I learned better ways to glue up.

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil...It has no point!
"Some people spend their life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem." R Reagan
t001xa22 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Why use CA over Epoxy? Epoxy gives you lots of time to abjust and clean the tube in the inside. Why stress yourself with CA when this is a hobby.
Cheers
PedroDelgado is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
Work fast... know your motions before you do it and zoom zoom... it's in. Haven't lost one yet.

My Dad used to say ... "I've got one other speed .... but even I am ashamed of THAT one!"

That is why I use epoxy!
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote Top