Slimline Transmission Assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefrog

So if y'all are like me, you've assembled a huge number of pens. And slimlines do sell, because they're usually the most affordable item on the table.

And if you're like me, you've also cussed a storm while disassembling a slimline because you pushed the transmission in too far, right? Okay, you don't have to admit it -- but I sure have. Push it in almost to the line, and it stops. You're afraid to push it too far, and you do. Oops.

This weekend as I was taking apart one for the second time (slightly loose tube, too easy to push), it dawned on me how else I could push that transmission in after that "stop point."

Good grief, why didn't I think of it before? I use a Wood River pen press, with the screw adjustment. Push the transmission as close as you dare, and then use the screw to ease it in where it should be!

Some of you may already do it, but I felt like a freaking genius when it hit me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

I saw the best thing at a turning demo, it was a slimline assembly gauge. Find a slimline that has the transmission pushed in perfectly. Remove the refill and measure from the top of the transmission to the tip of the nib. Cut a block exactly to that length. (use hardwood, corian or something similar) Cut a groove lengthwise in the block wide enough to fit a pen barrel. Now push the nib on and get the transmission started. Now position the transmission and the barrel with nib in the groove and push the transmission home using the block as a stop. Perfect transmission positioning every time.

This will work for every full size 7mm cross style pen you make. Slims, Trimlines, Euros, etc. You may have to make adjustments if you change refill brands since there can be small variation in length. Try the first one carefully.

Last edited:
Top Bottom