Slimline with NO center band!!!! - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Slimline with NO center band!!!!

Ok, can anyone help me!!! I have been trying to do a slimline with NO center band but everytime I try when I am done it matches up perfectly the way I turned it, but when I twist the pen to extend the ink then I have gaps in the joint where the band is supposed to go??? I use a squaring jig bit everytime to square my blanks, what the *$#(@( am I doing wrong? I have tried everything to fix it but nothing seems to work....
jlmort1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

you could try using a disk sander with a jig from PSI, to do the squaring up.
Actually your not doing anything wrong. It is the tools we use. I have discovered that most of the brass tubes aren't perfect from one to another. fraction in the thousandth of an inch in the ID of tubes can cause issues with the mandrel. Even the fact that the mandrel can be warped will make troubles.
So relax. Breath. It is not you.
Good Luck to ya.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 74

I have JUST the thing for you. I've made over 100 of these and they will work great for the problem you're having.

You can read about them and order one here.........
FOR SALE - Sanding Mills
rherrell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Also not mentioned is if the transmission is pressed in even a couple of thousandths of an inch off. Or if it isnt perfectly straight itself, it can cause or add to your problems.
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 47

For me, using a tool like Rick Herrell makes, as a final step after the CA finish is applied and before buffing, has made a world of difference!
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Have you tried it as a one piece? I did my first at the weekend and it looks the business (to me at any rate)
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Squaring pen/Barrel Trimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmort1980 View Post
Ok, can anyone help me!!! I have been trying to do a slimline with NO center band but everytime I try when I am done it matches up perfectly the way I turned it, but when I twist the pen to extend the ink then I have gaps in the joint where the band is supposed to go??? I use a squaring jig bit everytime to square my blanks, what the *$#(@( am I doing wrong? I have tried everything to fix it but nothing seems to work....
Something I have switched to recently is using my drill press to square/trim the ends of my blanks. When my barrel trimmer gets just a little dull and I use my regular drill, it often leaves wavy edges instead of cutting perfectly smooth. Putting the Barrel trimming in your drill press seems to eliminate this completely. You have to have a soft touch to make sure you don't take too much off but it leaves a perfectly smooth and square surface. Might be worth a try for you.

Regards
Dave
DaveConrad is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 18

+1 on Rick Herrell's sanding mill. It works wonders.

"Make a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, or set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life..."
pianomanpj is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 6

+1 on the drill press suggestion. I haven't had this problem in several years, since we switched to using a drill press to trim up the tubed blank.

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. -Emerson
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote Top