The Skew Chisel - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 11

One thing I don't see mentioned is the angle of the bevel. That can make a huge difference.

I struggled, on and off over several years to learn the skew. Then I was fortunate to have a very experienced Turner invite me to his shop. In about 2 hours I was doing planing cuts, peeling cuts, V cuts and even rolling beads with the skew. There were 3 steps to learning this.

First, ground the skew to the proper bevel angles.
Second, he taught me the proper way to hone the skew and told me I should do nothing but hone it for the next several months. No need to go back to the grinder for a long time.
Third, proper technique and practice for each cut.

I couldn't believe it only took a couple hours with some hands on instruction to learn it after so many hours of watching videos and trying to learn on my own. In addition, about half of that time he wasn't even standing with me, I was just practicing on my own while he did some work on another lathe.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
One thing I don't see mentioned is the angle of the bevel. That can make a huge difference.

I struggled, on and off over several years to learn the skew. Then I was fortunate to have a very experienced Turner invite me to his shop. In about 2 hours I was doing planing cuts, peeling cuts, V cuts and even rolling beads with the skew. There were 3 steps to learning this.

Second, he taught me the proper way to hone the skew and told me I should do nothing but hone it for the next several months. No need to go back to the grinder for a long time.

I couldn't believe it only took a couple hours with some hands on instruction to learn it after so many hours of watching videos and trying to learn on my own. In addition, about half of that time he wasn't even standing with me, I was just practicing on my own while he did some work on another lathe.

What angle was the bevel?

Get the Pressure Pot Caddy!
Vertical Casting System
The MakerHive

BeeAMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeAMaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post

What angle was the bevel?
It's a 25* included angle for the bevel. The long point to short point angle is 70*.

I'll also mention that we used a piece of green (fresh cut) Cherry ( it was a branch) about 2.5" in diameter. My instructor said it was one of the best woods for teaching the skew.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I'll check that to my Skew, I can't seem to get a good cut no matter how sharp it is. I have suspected the bevel and/or angle is off. Just haven't had time to look into it.

Get the Pressure Pot Caddy!
Vertical Casting System
The MakerHive

BeeAMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I have heard many that the length of the bevel should be 1 1/2 times the thickness of the skew shank.
Some will use a shorter length bevel on some materials such as inlace acrylester.

The angle most often seen is 70 degrees as stated. Alternatively, the radius shape is popular with many turners. One can change the angle of the edge to whatever works for them.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

I finally got my Multitool belt grinder.Since I am not that good at free hand sharpening, I had to use parts from 3 sharpening systems.The Wloverine, Tormek and the Multitool.I hve already been using the Tormek and Wolverine together on my 8" grinder.So I modified it to fit the Multitool System.Now I can get a perfect flat grind on my Skew chisels.I hope it will be a little easier to use the Skew with a flat Bevel.I am still waiting for some finishing belts before I try it out.I would have went with the Sorby system But over 400.00 was a little high for me
Attached Thumbnails
dsc00320.jpg  

Last edited by tonylumps; 12-30-2017 at 02:17 PM.
tonylumps is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads