Sierra transmission retrieval

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Have you ever had a Sierra transmission get pushed up just a little-too-far up in the pen barrel? Sometimes I want the transmission to stay in the barrel and apply locktite to make it stay - but it is SUCH A PAIN to get the thing out if it goes in just a little bit too far.

After thinking about how to build a tool that could grab and rescue the trapped transmission (which I may still do) I came up with an interim solution.

I put an old Sierra grip piece into a collet chuck and turned the metal trim ring down with a parting tool. About an eighth of an inch was all I needed, so I turned the metal down to flush with the tube that screws onto the tranny.

That gave me clearance to both grab the tranny and to wiggle it a bit to work it loose, without putting pressure on the barrel material so I could save the pen.

20160303_121817-1024x1820.jpg

20160303_121828-1024x1820.jpg

20160303_121841-1024x1820.jpg

Rangertrek

WOW, thanks for this tip. That is exactly what I needed to solve this problem. Now if I had a good solution to prevent this problem. I have used a wood "plug" up in the cap to keep the tranny from going in to far. This works, but there is probably a better solution.

Top Bottom