Sierra-ish super stategy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

If you are turning a chippy blank, or an expensive blank, or the worst of all - a chippy expensive blank - here's a strategy I developed over the years

Start with Sierra Vista/Wallstreet III bushings

If a chip occurs you can save the blank it by putting the chipped end at the top, there is room for a smaller diameter there where the barrel meets rounded pen part.

If chips are too deep for a Vista, switch to a regular Sierra. Same thing here - room for a smaller diameter at the clip end.

If the chip is a bit too deep for a Sierra, switch to an Elegant Sierra. The decorated band at the nib end can hide a slightly too small barrel diameter.

There are times when a blank cannot be saved by switching to a different kit.

But wait!!! There is still hope!!

If your blank is too expensive, or not replaceable, you can put it in a mold and re-cast the blank in resin - or you can send it to someone who can. Circuitboards, abalone, even watch part blanks can be saved.

Don't let the pucker factor of a high-dollar blank ruin your turning experience. Don't let frustration turn your $1500 Patek Philippe watch blank into a projectile. There is almost always a way to save your blank - clip positioning, oops bands, transitioning to a different kit, casting or re-casting.

thewishman

I forgot three other steps down the Sierra ladder!

You can shorten the tube from 2.21" to 1.97" and make the blank into a Sierra Grip.

Shorten to 1.89" for a Sierra Elegant Click.

Shorten to 1.76" to make a Sierra Click Pencil.

I don't own stock in Berea Hardwoods or it's resellers. But I do sell lots of Sierras.

BeeAMaker

I saved a pen just the other day, chipped near the nib end, all the way down to the brass tube. After turning, I placed it in my squaring jig and sanded the tip down until the chip was gone. After a caliper check, back onto the lathe for sizing to the Nib (very carefully) only made the pen about 1/16th shorter.

Top Bottom