Rounding acrylic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jzerger

How do you "round" your acrylic blanks? I've been using a grinder as I don't have a belt sander. It works fine but very "dusty" and time consuming. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I mark center, drill it with a #3 center drill then just turn between centers, it does require a 60 degree dead center and a 60 degree live center, but these are basic necessity items any way. The center drill also makes drilling the blanks easier.

jzerger

Thanks for the help. I drill on the lathe using a pen chuck so drill when square. I always felt like turning from square beat the heck out of my blades. I do have and use a PenPro although I primarily use it when almost done turning. Ken, are you suggesting to use the PenPro turning from square from start to finish?

Mike D

I drill on the lathe then turn it round with a sharpened bowl gouge until round then switch to the pen pro. The gouge I hold at an angle so it's similar to a skew. I don't have chip out and it takes it to round fairly quickly.

carpblaster

I drill on the lathe, then glue in the tubes.then i take it to the bandsaw and hold it on the corners and cut about 1/8 th off each corner, the turn,it does better,

chriselle

Fostner bit in a collet chuck....works perfectly. Let the blank spin loosely in your hand while tightening the tailstock. Once it grips it won't slip at all. Also the fostner diameter is good for sizing if you are going to put the blank in a collet chuck itself for drilling. And you guys owe me a beer with the money saved on not needing a steb drive...

Last edited:

jzerger

Carpblaster: I drill on the lathe, then glue in the tubes.then i take it to the bandsaw and hold it on the corners and cut about 1/8 th off each corner, the turn,it does better,
Do you have a sled to keep the blank steady as you cut the corners or do you just hold it with your fingers (I've thought of doing this to get some angle cuts but haven't come up with a method I felt confident in before trying)? Thanks for the help,
john

Router.

Recently had some rectangular acrylic blanks (pre tubed) wondering if there might be a better way. Placed a roundover bit in the table mounted router and went at it carefully using a device made to hold small objects. Speed of router was reduced close to minimum, dust collection was in use. I was amazed. That first pass was over in maybe 20-30 seconds. Incredible. Next I used the same for an oversized laminated wood blank. Near perfect results.

I've made a convert out of myself on this idea. For what a carbide roundover bit costs, and a minute of setup it saves time and does a great job.

PLEASE, PLEASE IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS, USE SOMETHING TO HOLD THE BLANK SECURELY AND KEEP YOUR PRECIOUS FINGERS AWAY FROM THAT ROUTER BIT !

Charlie

mdburn_em

Roughing Gouge

I know - A roughing gouge isn't elegant.

Drill, glue, square the ends and then I use the roughing gouge to knock off the edges and then I get aggressive.

No light touch as I'm hogging off most of the excess material. No ribbons, just controlled ripping of the material off of the blank. No prizes for delicacy. I stop this once I get within about 1/16" to the bushings

I switch to a skew or something similar and then proceed with a light touch. This removes the divots from the material.

My grinder with my wolverine jig is behind me. I keep the roughing gouge "sharp". I sharpen it often, but it really depends on the blanks I'm using. Sometimes after 2 or 3 pens. Sometimes 2 or 3 times on a blank.

I do most of my turning with my roughing gouge. I do like to use the skew to get down to finish size. I forgot this last night and found myself finishing an acrylic with the r.gouge.

Of course there have a been a few problems with this "technique" but only a few. When bad things happen, thick CA is your best friend.

I don't treat a snakeskin blank or a circuit board or anything like that in this manner. Anything else? Let'r rip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom