International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Quick Sanding Jig for Blank Ends

Was getting a Puzzle Baron ready yesterday and the instructions advise NOT to use an end mill to trim the ends of the blanks. I did not want to setup the disk sander - then the Aha

I took a small disk of sandpaper and punched a 3/16 hole into it. ( I had some one inch diameter sanding disks in the larder).

I grabbed my Berea end mill (barrel trimmer) - it has a smaller shaft that holds the head abainst the D sized shafting -

I disassembled the end mill (barrel trimmer) and reversed the head on the shaft putting the sandpaper on the end of the shaft facing down. I pressed the flat head of the barrel trimmer against the sandpaper firmly and tightend both set screws. put the trimmer into a spare drill chuck and added the spacer - the blanks fit nicely over the spacers and against the sandpaper. Hand motion the end was sanded evenly. changed spacer and did the other part.

With the CA clogging the sandpaper, it was one disk, one pen, but it was fast and the accuracy was acceptable. Rechecked with starret protractor and all looked good.

If I was going to do much of this, I would take an old barrel trimmer and glue velcro against the flat head - Or

I then went into the garage and spotted a fender washer --I see the addition of some velcro backing to a fender washer as the next variant -- to eliminate some slipping.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Pressure sensitive sand paper works just as well. the back side of the mill will get a little gummy after some time but it wipes off with acetone.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Pic of the Jig would be nice
gmanblue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

rick herrel (IAP....rherrell ) makes an awsome sanding jig. very true running and comes with a punch for the sticky sandpaper. in the classifides. works great. apparently the face is brass and turned on a lathe so it's dead square. ........Bear
Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mike --
If I had PSA paper, that would be handy way to go -- I have piles of rounds and the only ones with psa back are the spendy 3M ones. The rest and all the 1 inch ones are fuzzy backed. I thought about the can of 3M 777 glue too, but the cleanup is a bear (been there and done that).

Barry -- the point was to use 3 minutes and no money -- I have micro lathes and can make jigs, or could have set up for the disk sander, but for just the puzzle pen - Use of the barrell trimmer (piloted end mill) was fast and easy.

I found that I still have a PSI POS barrrell trimmer that may be converted one of these days when I want to do that instead of more production oriented work.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have done that I also just made something similar on my metal lathe. One caution about the velcrow though it causes rounded ends since it adds padding to the sandpaper in the back. Not so nice especally when you press down a little because your paper is getting clogged. Don't use velcrow the harder you can keep that back the better your facing will be.
programmergeek is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanblue View Post
Pic of the Jig would be nice
Yeah!! Brilliant ideas and incredible jigs don't really exist before their soul is captured in a PIC!!

What a long strange trip it's been!
The 60's will never leave, if we refuse to leave them!!
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 240

Why not save yourself all the extra work and just face your blanks on the lathe with a skew . I have done several puzzle kits this way without a single problem .
Any fool can know , the point is to understand (Albert Einstein)
There are no mistakes....Only happy accidents (Bob Ross)
http://www.penmakersguild.com/images.../logosmall.jpg
ldb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
Yeah!! Brilliant ideas and incredible jigs don't really exist before their soul is captured in a PIC!!
LOL Bree learned this when bragging about a new toy she bought!
dntrost is offline   Reply With Quote Top