International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 198

Default Pool Cue Blanks for Dummies

Don't get upset over the 'Dummy' word, it's just for fun. OK?

Here is a pictorial on how to make a pool cue blank with nice sharp corners and by using a simple jig, a router with a standard bit and the lathe just used for indexing.

It doesn't matter if you build a box over your wood lathe or make a template for you metal lathe. Remember, the lathe is only being used for the indexing. Unplug it before you start (Please)

I'll post all the pics first, which I think are pretty self explanatory and answer any question to clear up any queries.

There are just a couple of 'Rules' when using a standard router bit.

1. The 'Ramp' that the router moves along MUST move in both the horizontal and vertical planes by the SAME amount.

2. Each cut cuts beyond the centre of the blank. This means that after the first cuts, you end up with a void that is easily filled with CA and sawdust as you go.

This blank was made with a pine dowel and an unknown dark hardwood quadrant. The pine is softwood but maybe with enough coats of CA, I'll be able to use it.
Remember that as the blank is turned down, that the dark spikes will shrink in length.
Attached Thumbnails
1poolcuerouterjig.jpg   2horizontal.jpg   3vertical.jpg   4index.jpg   5bitset.jpg  

6trialcut.jpg   7cut1.jpg   8glueone.jpg   9index2.jpg   10cut2.jpg  

11index3.jpg   12glue3.jpg   13roundend.jpg   14cut4.jpg   15makeround.jpg  

16inlayendsoverlap.jpg   17readyforapen.jpg   cuecuts.jpg  

Last edited by skiprat; 07-25-2010 at 11:56 AM.
skiprat is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh, I forgot to add.....

Routers can cut you quicker than any tool alive. Please be very careful.
The bit remains exposed until the job is finished. The instinct is to look at the cut you have just made as you take the router away.

If you have ever 'been-there-done-that' , you're ok, because you will NEVER do it again DAMHIKT
Old 07-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Skippy, looks like you've made some sneaky pete's before. You still amaze me with all the engineering that you do. I'm lucky enough to have access to a cue building lathe, that's about 3 minutes away, to cut all my points with. At first glance I would bet money that was a fullsize handle and not a pen blank.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 26

Wow thats pretty impressive. Wish I had the stuff to make a few of those. I need about 6 for a project I am working on. I've been working on some other ideas to get some made but as of yet I havent quite figured nothing out. Your engineering skills still impress me. Amazing!

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man. - George Washington
Phunky_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 150

very interesting! thanks for sharing Steve!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Very impressive Steven !!
bitshird is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just noticed that the A and B in the sketch are a different way around from my reference points on the plastic guide. If the drawing is correct, then the A should be on the RHS and B on the LHS on the plastic.

But I'm sure you figured that out

For those that build something like this, (or a box over the wood lathe bed,) then try to build it so that you don't need to move anything to glue and clamp the bits together.

The shape of the plastic guide I used is of no relevance, it's just used for other stuff too.

Also please note that if you manage to get a perfect point bit ( any angle) then the cuts would be made only with a horizontal ramp. The vertical movement isn't needed because you would do the cuts from above the blank and not on the side, like this.

To make nice long cuts like these, you will probably have to join your blank onto another one or make a plan to leave space for the router.

If there are any pics that need explanation or any questions please feel free to ask.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Photos: 14

Thanks again Steven! Once more you amaze me with not only your skill and ability, but your willingness to share it so freely. I will be adding this to my already insane list of "stuff i gotta try".
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Photos: 14

That is amazing. I just went through all the pictures and am completely inspired. The finished blank really does look just like a butt. It just needs a rubber bumper and a threaded rod in the other end!
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Steve, that is TOO AWESOME! Will add it to the list of things to try. Hope I can give it justice.