Pen presses - my opinion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eastbay

What I do is simply put a flat head bold in my drill press and it works great and will never mess up. The only thing I use is the rite size drill bit no other fancy costly tools and get beautiful resulys. Cheers east bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CycleTurner

Being new to pen turning and wood working in general, I don't have a lot of the tools many of you may have. Also being cheap, I try not to buy anything unless I really need it. If I can get away with something else, I use it until I have to get the right tool.

As a pen press, I use my lathe. I take off the mandrel and the tail stock. I put wooden plugs that I made from scrap pen blanks into the holes. I push and lock the tail stock to the length of the parts I want to put together. Then turn the wheel of the tail stock to push together the pen.

It does get a bit tricky trying to hold the pen and turn the wheel at the same time, but once the parts go in a little, everything is held by friction. I'm sure a block of wood could be used to hold the pen parts while turning the wheel.

The big problem with this method is that sometimes, the pressure of the pen parts force the tail stock to slip. When the tail stock does not hold well, I just loosen it and re-lock it down. Usually it works after that.

One final note. Don't use a soft wood for the plugs. Since it will be put under a lot of pressure, the hardest wood you can use is best. Using Corian for the plugs may be good as well.

-CT

200762711938_pressing_parts_burl.jpg

I use a woodworker's vise (old Columbian, $5 from the local flea market). It will handle better than 6" between the leather padded jaws. I use masonite pieces over the leather if I'm pressing something that needs a firmer surface.

Thumbs

Ugh! The Frugal Penmaker? Julia,[B)][:0][:p][}:)] that is a great idea, yet so obvious and simple, it sure made me feel like a dummy......

OK, I don't need any confirmations from the peanut gallery, thank you.[}:)]

Randy_

Originally posted by jtate
<br />.....I use a beer can crusher from Harbor Freight.....

I suspect that "tool" was something Julia had on hand and was not purchased specifically for pressing pens. I notice the picture does "NOT" included a pen???[:D][:D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by sparhawk
<br />since i just started i use my bench vise with a piece of thin wood taped on to the jaws. No problems yet.

Yes, a bench vice will work. But a nice pen press is faster, more accurate and handier. If you don't do many pens you will be OK the way you are. But more than just a 'now and then' pen, a good press becomes almost a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom