Oops, now what? I need that tube!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefrog

I'm new to turning, and I admit it. I've destroyed three or four blanks so far, and those were definitely demolished with gusto. I have lots of blanks -- what I DON'T have are the pen kits and brass tubes.

So after messing up a few and putting them aside to try and find replacement tubes, I thought, "Why not turn them down to the tube!? Worth a shot!"

Well, it does work -- if you're careful! You can turn it all the way down to the brass tube and sand off the CA glue with sandpaper.

I'm learning a little something new every day so far with this thing!

Best,
Joefrog

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

While the tubes are salvagable, I am not sure they are worth the time at what they cost to buy. At about .50 a set, the time to carefully turn off and send down the tube is much more expensive to me than to just toss and go to a new set. However, since you are new to this then the time spent cleaning off the tubes may be worth it as it helps you to hone your technique.

Justturnin

I have a box of my mistakes that I keep with the notion that one day if I am turning and need a tube before an order will get here I will salvage one of these. What I will do is turn it close to the tube and then drop the tube in some acetone and let it eat the glue off and I will just slide the tube out or chip the rest of the wood off.

Last edited:

PTownSubbie

While the tubes are salvagable, I am not sure they are worth the time at what they cost to buy. At about .50 a set, the time to carefully turn off and send down the tube is much more expensive to me than to just toss and go to a new set. However, since you are new to this then the time spent cleaning off the tubes may be worth it as it helps you to hone your technique.

LOL! You haven't purchased tubes in a while have you..... Most tubes these days are $1 plus. Closer to $1.50 for most....

Still not worth it but I do remember when you could by them for $.50....Everything is more expensive these days!!!

And that is my $0.03 (inflation....LOL!)

joefrog

LOL! You haven't purchased tubes in a while have you..... Most tubes these days are $1 plus. Closer to $1.50 for most....

Still not worth it but I do remember when you could by them for $.50....Everything is more expensive these days!!!

Ah, but when you can't find it locally or it's a special set... how much are you willing to pay for shipping that tube, and how long can you wait to finish!

IPD_Mr

Ah, but when you can't find it locally or it's a special set... how much are you willing to pay for shipping that tube, and how long can you wait to finish!

Actually I buy tubes all the time. Two piece set of Jr gents are $.65 and the Aero are $.50. If you are paying close to $1.50 then someone is a little too deep in your pockets!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Buy them when you are ordering other pen supplies. Between the precut sets and the 10 inch lengths you are pretty well covered. Besides Indy pen Dance, look at Woodenwhimsies, and exotic blanks for tubes.

IPD_Mr

Buy them when you are ordering other pen supplies. Between the precut sets and the 10 inch lengths you are pretty well covered. Besides Indy pen Dance, look at Woodenwhimsies, and exotic blanks for tubes.

I do not sell tubes, I buy them. :tongue:

BSea

By the way, DAMHIKT is short hand for Don't Ask Me How I Know This :biggrin:
How do you know?:rolleyes:

Back On topic:
Another thing to consider is doing an OOOPS ring. Just because a blank is blown up, doesn't mean you have to start from scratch. DAMHIKT:)

Here's a recent OOOPS ring pen.

Earthquake2.jpg

leehljp

Member Liaison
I usually buy extra tubes as several mentioned and a long time ago, I began buying long tubes and have a collection both metric and imperial and different thicknesses too - "just in case". I have used them a few times over the years. It sure was good living in Japan and finding some of the metric odd sized and thickness tubes. I brought them back with me too!

Still, on occasion I turn a blown blank down and add another blank to it.

joefrog

That pen isn't an "oops!" like mine was -- I was turning a bullet pen and about halfway into the turn, WHAM -- either my tool caught it or it had a crack already. It shattered all the way down to the barrel. There was no saving that one!

BSea

That pen isn't an "oops!" like mine was -- I was turning a bullet pen and about halfway into the turn, WHAM -- either my tool caught it or it had a crack already. It shattered all the way down to the barrel. There was no saving that one!
There are some that you might as well scrap, and the one shown above wasn't any big deal one way or another. It's just that I was close to finishing, and I didn't want to start from scratch. But when you have a problem with a really nice piece of amboyna, sometimes you get creative. I have several blanks that are sitting in a box as a result of some sort of oops. My best fix was a closed end that the end broke off. I spiced in a tube, and added a piece of aluminum, and finished it with ebony.

And one of the best things about these pens are that non pen makers think they are cool. Somebody somewhere said it's better to feature the error rather than hide it.

ctubbs

I used my early blown blanks as practice in working the skew. And yes, I managed to get LOTS of skew practice turning the blank residue off the tubes. Now the skew no longer scares me. Other than my WoodChuck, it is my go to tool. i can now take that old skew and slice the glue off the tube and not have any brass shavings come off with it. Oh yes, I have had lots of practice. Too cheap to toss anything.
Charles

Rollingrock

Joe,
To save 3-7 days ordering tubes or an hour or so cleaning up a used
tube.
Doesn't the Woodcraft in B'ham carry tubes?
I know they sell pen kits there.

RR

Top Bottom