Nib out too far...help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

So, I'm working on a graduate style pen and got the nib extended just shy of how far out I like it, then I press it a little more and now it's out too far! Argh!!

Anyone know how I can push the nib/twist mechanism back in just a fraction? about 1/16 inch.

Thanks a lot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Hopefully you have a set of transfer punches. Find one that fits inside the transmission, hold the barrel in one hand and hit the punch with a hammer to remove the nib. Now find the largest punch that fits in the nib end of the tube and use it to press the transmission back out.

Justturnin

for something like that a Pipe Clamp or some other clamp with a Screw clamp would do nice. A Screw will give you more control as opposed to a vice that uses leverage that gives all of a sudden.

yorkie

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the transmission would go back up or if it was just a one-way and you would destroy it by trying to force it in the wrong direction.

Hopefully you have a set of transfer punches. Find one that fits inside the transmission, hold the barrel in one hand and hit the punch with a hammer to remove the nib. Now find the largest punch that fits in the nib end of the tube and use it to press the transmission back out.

MarkD

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the transmission would go back up or if it was just a one-way and you would destroy it by trying to force it in the wrong direction.

The transmission is pressed in so it can usually be pressed back out without a problem. Especially if you don't need to move it much.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom