mini rant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />I cannot speak for Frank, but based on reading the various comments posted on this thread, I am speaking for myself.

<b>No one should mind questions from those less experienced. We were all there at one time. It does help if the person asking the question has done a small bit of research to help themselves first. </b> One question asked at the site was "what is the URL for Penn State Industries?" That kind of question is mildly irritating since a few seconds on Google will give the URL. <b>Rich K at the Yahoo group stresses the need to read the FAQ at the site since it will likely answer most questions. Doing so will also educate you far beyond your original question.</b>

Use catalog websites, search engines, and onsite articles before asking basic questions. If you cannot find the answer, then ask on the forum. <b>Trust me, you will learn more in the search than you originally intended.</b>
FWIW,

Well said as usual. Can't agree more [^]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by sptfr43
<br />anyone know what size drillbit I need for a 7mm pen?[}:)][:D][}:)]

Actually, there is one supplier, often fondly spoken of here, who says the 7mm drill bit is incorrect for a 7mm pen. Don't question his (supposed) knowledge or he will likely refuse to sell to you in the future. pm me if you want details.

alamocdc

I initially used the 7mm brad point that came with my starter set, but soon noticed that the bit tended to wander through the blank.[:(!] Very shortly thereafter I picked up the 115 bit TN coated set from HF and started using the "J" bit for 7mm pens and I've been much more satisfied with the straightness of my holes since. Just in point of fact, I never had a glue failure using the 7mm bit and have on occasion even used an "I" bit... also with no failures.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Now, Frank, you are starting another mini-rant. I, like Billy, used my brad point 7mm drill for a year or two, and other than a bit of wandering which was likely due to my old, since replaced, drill press. never had a gluing problem. Once it got dull, I switched to a "J" bit, bought from your favorite(?) supplier and am very happy with it.

BTW, I have been on a Rx for "chill pills" for about 3 years, and am much happier. No, it is not for everyone, but I enjoy not getting "het up" as much as I used to.

FWIW,

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />

BTW, I have been on a Rx for "chill pills" for about 3 years, and am much happier. ...

FWIW,

Cav,

Will those pills drop the temp in my office from 85 to, say, 70??? That would go a long way toward improving my outlook (and productivity).[8D][8D][8D][8D]

GBusardo

I started my reply three times and I had to go back and read the thread again. lol
The more I think about it, I agree with William C. If "stupid" questions are discouraged, it will not help increase the traffic here or make the new turner feel welcome (i will always be new to wood working, I learn something new everyday). The search the archives comes in handy for me if I knew i seen the thread, but can't remember where or when. If someone new comes in and searches "mandrel" , he or she will get a couple of hundred posts. Mandrel will come up whenever its written. OK, now what? It's just easier to ask, someone always helps. What's old hat to most, is pig latin to others. Has anyone tried to teach their skill to someone who don't know pine from oak? You know way more than you realise. Maybe the person who asked for the web address for PSI, has no clue what Google is. Before you laugh, I had someone ask me last night how to spell Google. He couldn't even type in Google, let alone search for what he was looking for. By the way, the guy who asked me to help him search on google, is a master cake decorator. I am a Libra, so I tend to see both sides of any issue. Share your wealth, it's a good thing!!! [:)]

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />I started my reply three times and I had to go back and read the thread again. lol
The more I think about it, I agree with William C. If "stupid" questions are discouraged, it will not help increase the traffic here or make the new turner feel welcome (i will always be new to wood working, I learn something new everyday). The search the archives comes in handy for me if I knew i seen the thread, but can't remember where or when. If someone new comes in and searches "mandrel" , he or she will get a couple of hundred posts. Mandrel will come up whenever its written. OK, now what? It's just easier to ask, someone always helps. What's old hat to most, is pig latin to others. Has anyone tried to teach their skill to someone who don't know pine from oak? You know way more than you realise. Maybe the person who asked for the web address for PSI, has no clue what Google is. Before you laugh, I had someone ask me last night how to spell Google. He couldn't even type in Google, let alone search for what he was looking for. By the way, the guy who asked me to help him search on google, is a master cake decorator. I am a Libra, so I tend to see both sides of any issue. Share your wealth, it's a good thing!!! [:)]

Yup!!

If we stop answering all those "simple" questions for beginners, all we would have left on IAP would be experts

Rifleman1776

Folks, I did call it a "rant". To me, that means a frustrated expression of opinion. IMHO, it would also allow for a little bit of illogic blowing off of steam. Questions are always welcome here and most of us try to help those who ask. I have received a lot of help and it was appreciated. But, I have a personal grievance with persons of (supposedly) adult age and normal intelligence asking childish, stupid questions. e.g. "I just bought a Whiz mini-lathe from Woodstore and a part was missing from the box. What should I do?" Only an infantile idjit would not know to contact the retailer it was purchased from or the manufacturer. That bothers me. But that's just me.

Edit and an addition to above: Some might be wondering why I am sensitive to what I call the 'idjit' condition. For many years, I have been on several firearms related discussion lists. A (frighteningly) very common question that comes up is something like this: "I just bought a Remchester rifle from the local gunstore. How can I tell what size ammunition it takes and where can I buy some?"
Scary that these idjits are walking around out there with guns. And these guys are often the same ones who make your bank loans or do surgery on your family, teach your kids, whatever. No one is going to accidentally blast off someones head with a pen kit but the idjit questions are still just as disconcerting.

I don't know Frank, you may be right about the guns and ammo.

But many times a Noob would ask these silly questions just as an ice breaker to get aquatinted.

Personally, I believe there is such a thing as a silly question and every silly question deserves a silly answer.

I think when a doctor doesn't know what type of ammo goes into his gun is not unreasonable. Their life may not be centered around weapons. Would you know which scalpel to use for brain surgery? I mean, you do have a brain, right? You had it all your life, so, shouldn't you know?
[}:)][}:)][:D]

alamocdc

Originally posted by bonefish
<br />I always thought that if you asked a stupid question, you ended up engaged.

Bonefish[:D][:D][:D]

ROTFLMAO!!!! Boy, ain't that the truth! Thirty two years now and I'm still paying for that one, but she ain't all bad. And more importantly, I couldn't afford to get rid of her even if I wanted to.[:0]

bonefish

39 years for me. The only problem we have right now is that when I make a pen she likes, she grabs it and refuses to pay for it.

The excuse she gives is something like washing my clothes and taking care of me for the past 39 years.

Have you ever heard of a such a weak excuse?[:)]

Bonefish

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I don't know Frank, you may be right about the guns and ammo.

But many times a Noob would ask these silly questions just as an ice breaker to get aquatinted.

Personally, I believe there is such a thing as a silly question and every silly question deserves a silly answer.

I think when a doctor doesn't know what type of ammo goes into his gun is not unreasonable. Their life may not be centered around weapons. Would you know which scalpel to use for brain surgery? I mean, you do have a brain, right? You had it all your life, so, shouldn't you know?

Ron, hopefully, this response will not offend you. The problem in the example I stated revolves around the fact that the idjit in question bought the gun at a local gunshop. As an idjit, he bought without knowing caliber and didn't think to ask the dealer what he was buying. Further idjit behavior came from his not have the mental cognizance to understand that a gun shop also sells ammunition and didn't think to ask the gun dealer for any. My example is not an exaggeration. I have seen these identical questions asked hundreds of times over the years. Hope we are not too late to save you from the idjit brain surgeon. [:p]

Originally posted by bonefish
<br />I always thought that if you asked a stupid question, you ended up engaged.

Bonefish[:D][:D][:D]

I joke I heard the other day:
After a quarrel, a husband said to his wife, “You know, I was a fool when I married you.â€
She replied, “Yes, dear, but I was in love, and didn’t notice.â€

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />

Ron, hopefully, this response will not offend you. The problem in the example I stated revolves around the fact that the idjit in question bought the gun at a local gunshop. As an idjit, he bought without knowing caliber and didn't think to ask the dealer what he was buying. Further idjit behavior came from his not have the mental cognizance to understand that a gun shop also sells ammunition and didn't think to ask the gun dealer for any. My example is not an exaggeration. I have seen these identical questions asked hundreds of times over the years. Hope we are not too late to save you from the idjit brain surgeon. [:p]

Luckly, I don't choose doctors based on thier knowledge of guns.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
[:D]
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />

Luckly, I don't choose doctors based on thier knowledge of guns.

Or spelling? [:D][}:)][}:)]

TBone

I'll bet $5 to a donut that the doctor didn't ask the gun shop operator about ammo because he didn't want him to know that he just bought a gun without having a clue. Easier to do it on the internet where he's anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom