mini rant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

We are here to share and help, with some fun thrown in along the way. But, comes a point where some folks need to help themselves. I refer to posts that say "My shipment from XYZ Supplies hasn't come yet and I ordered two days ago. What should I do?" Childish and nonsense. If you have a problem with a company, your first source of information and solution is....can we say "duh"....the company. Similarly, questions like "I just bought some 'whatever' kits, what bushings do I need? Again....."duh"....the company you bought the kits from. The answer to your question is usually on the same page in the catalog. Or if it was a telephone order, the nice lady at the telephone desk can answer that question. Doesn't need to be asked at all. We are not kindergartners, even though some act like they are. End of rant.

alamocdc

At the risk of sounding Eagle-ish (and I'm already ducking for cover), let me just say that I totally agree, Frank! Before I made my first casing pen, I did a search (including the archives) for everything I could find here on casing pens. I formulated my own ideas on how to achieve certain results or accomplish a fit here or there. Then I experimented and in the process, I found what would and wouldn't work for me. Even after a few PM exchanges with other turners that had done quite a few of this type (after posting my first attempt), I stayed largely with what worked best for me. Experimentation (at least for me) is one of the things I like most about pen turning. And you don't have to be an engineer to figure things out. Yes, it might be easier if some one would spoon feed me the how-to's for everything, but I wouldn't really learn anything from the process. JMO here and I'm not trying to start something with the newbs. It's been said many times, this isn't rocket science and there's probably a few dozen ways to accomplish the same result. One only needs to find the way that works best for them and a little thought will help bring this about.

Didn't mean to hijack your rant, Frank.

Okay, let the shoosting begin (movie quote).

EDIT: Let me add that I've asked my share of questions here, but 1) only when I couldn't find the answer I was looking for in the archives (and sometimes it was because I didn't look hard enough and was pointed to the right place), and 2) when I tried something new and experienced a problem or situation where I needed additional information, or even chastisement. I'm not telling anyone not to ask questions. We are here to share information and learn from one another. Just try to be smart about the questions you ask. Hope that makes sense!

gerryr

I agree. But, take heart, it isn't just pen turners who ask these kinds of questions. When I actively participated on a rod building forum, the same kinds of questions were asked repeatedly. But, there was the even dumber one, "what color thread should I use on XYZ rod blank?" Sort of like what wood should I use for this XYZ pen kit?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Remember that if we NEVER saw a repeated question, the "traffic" on the site would be down to about 3 entries a day.

I agree, Frank, the bushings ARE on the same page and most people should be able to find them-so why don't they? Perhaps, newer turners are looking for an opportunity to enter the "frey". They see the "older guys" trading one liners and would like to become part of that "community" feeling. So, let's show as much tolerance as possible. After all, they can't all be as kind and level-headed as you.

Now, let's discuss the "drill bit conspiracy" for a while.[:)][:)][:)]

While I have NOT searched the archives, I'll bet it appears MORE than once!!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />
Rough weekend Frank ? [:D]

Not really. We babysat the grands. I'm a little tired. But something must have got under my skin. My post was a bit intemperate. But, still, it was an honest expression of how I feel about these things. Questions relating to stuff someone might not understand is just fine. We were all beginners at a lot of things. But coming to the forum(s) for company related issues just doesn't make sense to me. Just this a.m. a questing was posed on TPS that I responded to by saying 'look in catalog' or whatever. Oh, well, I'll just go back to kicking my wife's cat. [:0] (p.s. to Jeff: Just kidding [:eek:)] )

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Oh, well, I'll just go back to kicking my wife's cat. (p.s. to Jeff: Just kidding )

Welcome back, Frank!! (the one we all know and "love".)

Pipes

I know a LOT if NOT most of you know about forums and computers ! I for one and after 15yrs still trying to learn ! and I think a LOT are like myself and don't know how even to look up the old posts about subjexts &gt; I know I just found out HOW to do it here ! I saw LOTS a posts telling folks to go do it BUT NONE on HOW !!!!

As fo the questions I think the new folks should be mdae to feel at ease and able to ask ANY question and any of us TRY and answer it ! as they will feel more at home here and become GREAT members to our forum JUST IMHO ... And the only dumb question is one you don't ask again IMO ...I know I stay with a forum that makes me feel welcome and answers MY DUMB questions that now and then we all ASK IMHO

http://affordablepipes.com/

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
On the advice of legal counsel (JimGo) I will fail to answer the question at hand!!! (another LOL, my second in 2 years!!!)[:D][:D][:D][;)][;)]

DocStram

Geeeeee Ed .... I think your rant is already in the archives. Maybe you should have checked the files. Seems to me that a little search of the archives would have saved you the time from ranting all over again!
With tongue in cheek ane the utmost of respect ......

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by DocStram
<br />Geeeeee Ed .... I think your rant is already in the archives. Maybe you should have checked the files. Seems to me that a little search of the archives would have saved you the time from ranting all over again!
With tongue in cheek ane the utmost of respect ......

Clearly this is a typo

ED never rants!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you have the wrong Ed. This Ed ALWAYS states well-reasoned, objective replies.

Should you forget that, just let me know, I will type it again!!!

Failure to understand merely proves you are UNDER-informed. I will wait, albeit may take decades, for you to become aware of ALL of the information at which point you will, clearly, agree with me.[:D][:D][:D][:D]

DFM

I believe there are two qualifiers for a rant. First, the rant must be in a single paragraph. Rifleman meets this prong of the test. And second, the sentences must be at least two to three line each. Although I applaud your use of punctuation, the run-on sentence structure need improvement. [:eek:)]

Rifleman1776

Sorry, William. I just couldn't keep my adrenaline at peak levels all the time to handle that. Besides, how would one moderate a rant? [:p] I'll be nice again. (for a while [;)] )
BTW, I'm trying to figure out that Enron thingy. Answer: no. I'm fairly poor.
p.s. If someone chuckled because of my rant, it was worth it. Jeff, your cat can come out from hiding now.

Rifleman1776

Mebbe I'm on a mini-roll. Over on Sawmill Creek, someone asked where he could get a part for his Jet mini-lathe. Come on folks, he doesn't need to be near sharp things or power tools. In case anyone here is puzzling over that one: answer: Jet or the dealer he bought it from.

Ron Mc

Back to the original topic. Let's face it....it can be easier for a new pen turner to simply ask a question than to go digging for the answer. I believe that at some point we have all done it. If someone that knows the answer can simply take a moment and post then good for them. This only applies to turning or parts questions of course. Due to the fact that none of us would have any idea why an order was shorted or why someones box hasn't shown up this would be impossible to answer. Thus just don't reply at all.[;)]

tas2181

As long as the subject of archives has been brooched and hoping not to raise the ire of those here- one question.

Is there anyway to access the archived posts other than doing a search and checking the 'archived posts' box? If there is I can't find it.

Tom

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by tas2181
Is there anyway to access the archived posts other than doing a search and checking the 'archived posts' box? If there is I can't find it.
Tom
On the default forum page in the rightmost column, you should see a yellow folder icon with an "A" in the center. Clicking that icon takes you to the archives where you can browse all archived topics.

2006718142645_Archive.jpg
<br />

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by tas2181
<br />As long as the subject of archives has been brooched and hoping not to raise the ire of those here- one question.

Tom

This guy must be new!!! A GREAT question, with Jeff's usual great answer (yes, I suck up to the management).

I DIDN'T KNOW THIS!!!

angboy

One tip to anybody searching for prior postings- and maybe everyone already knows this but it took me several months to figure out- I always wondered why everyone else seemed to be able to find posts that I couldn't find! Apparently, when you're searching, if you check "archived posts", the search engine then ONLY looks in the archived posts. I just assumed that meant it would look in recent, non-archived posts, as well as archived posts, so that I was adding the request to look farther back. But you don't actually get the recent posts that haven't been archived when you do this. So basically, you have to do 2 searches to be sure to cover where a post might be- one with archived checked and one not.

If this was already general knowledge, then I apologize, but this really gave me trouble for quite awhile, and so it may help new people when searching.

arioux

Hi,

Actually, someone hasked that question a while ago and if i remenber (should do a search:), Russ Fairfield came up with a very interesting answer about making the hole a little bit bigger than 7mm and using Poly glue. This would allow more room for the tube to work and prevent some of the cracking that beginner like me are having when assembling slims.

Well there is good thing about asking basic question, even if the answer could be found by doing a search. Penturning is a constant evolution and sometimes, and people find new way of doing even the so called basic things and don't always think that this could be a technic to share. Dum question can sometimes bring great answer.

mdburn_em

Originally posted by arioux
<br />Hi,

Actually, someone hasked that question a while ago and if i remenber (should do a search:), Russ Fairfield came up with a very interesting answer about making the hole a little bit bigger than 7mm and using Poly glue. This would allow more room for the tube to work and prevent some of the cracking that beginner like me are having when assembling slims.

Well there is good thing about asking basic question, even if the answer could be found by doing a search. Penturning is a constant evolution and sometimes, and people find new way of doing even the so called basic things and don't always think that this could be a technic to share. Dum question can sometimes bring great answer.
I would have to agree with this statement. BB on AS site states he won't sell a 7 mm bit because it's too small for the hole. You can't get enough glue to get a good hold.
One thing I'll say about common sense is that it's unique to each person. One persons common sense is another's insanity.
What is odd, when you really think about it, Frank, is that these people really don't know or they wouldn't ask the question. I, personally, am a MASTER at missing the obvious. I appreciate it when people kindly and with dignity let me know I'm an idiot.[:)]

jaywood1207

I wish I could complain about orders that take 2 or 3 days. Some of mine take up to 3 or 4 weeks but I'm not complaining.[;)] I have come to accept that fact.

I can appreciate all of the comments here but also will say as somebody that has been watching this site for a few months that when I try to follow some of the how to's they don't work for me. As a result, I may post a question that seems redundant to the higher seniority members (no I am not referring to age) but how else can we learn. The unfortunate part is that sometimes these questions go unanswered because maybe it is considered redundant and then I or we are stuck in the same situation and still haven't learned how to do what we were trying. This doesn't only refer to making pens but also navigating and using the site. I'm not trying to get anybody going here just stating my opinion.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I cannot speak for Frank, but based on reading the various comments posted on this thread, I am speaking for myself.

No one should mind questions from those less experienced. We were all there at one time. It does help if the person asking the question has done a small bit of research to help themselves first. One question asked at the site was "what is the URL for Penn State Industries?" That kind of question is mildly irritating since a few seconds on Google will give the URL. Rich K at the Yahoo group stresses the need to read the FAQ at the site since it will likely answer most questions. Doing so will also educate you far beyond your original question.

Use catalog websites, search engines, and onsite articles before asking basic questions. If you cannot find the answer, then ask on the forum. Trust me, you will learn more in the search than you originally intended.

FWIW,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom