Mandrel saver pressure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I guess I should have put this tip here first but here it is now. I have often wondered how much pressure to crank on my tailstock when using a mandrel saver. Not enough and the blank stops spinning and too much can eventually damage headstock or mandrel saver bearings. I devised a cheap (free for me) method that puts the perfect pressure and has not failed me yet. Before mounting anything else on the mandrel I made a sandwich of two small flat washers and a split lock washer that just fit on the mandrel shaft, then mounted everything else as usual. Enough pressure applied to flatten the split washer is all it takes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Recently had a nasty little "oops" event .... I dropped my mandrel and it bent pretty badly. :(

Ordered a new one, and will be putting some washers and a lockwasher on it when it gets here. :)

Hawkdave

That's a great idea Stephen. I will also be doing the same from now on.

When I started to use a Mandrel Saver, I didn't expect it to wear the thread down on the mandrel shaft. This happens when you are turning a pen with 2 parts. After a short time, it started to vibrate making it harder to turn. I got my mate to make me a new shaft minus the end thread and all turned out well.

Dave.

Marmotjr

OK, Newb question. The brass screw nut on the end of the mandrel is not needed to be used with a saver? Mine's in the mail and should be here this week.

The lock washer is a great idea though.

Top Bottom