International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files Have a tip, trick, or a Q&A for the FAQ? Post it here.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 199

Default Making a closed end click pen - my way. LONG

I just finished making a successful closed ended click pen, but it was not easy. But if you use the whole kit I think it could be simpler.

OK here goes nothing.
The parts. 1 click mech, various sized old tubes, 1 x 16mm stainless thread, small piece of aluminium. etc. Not shown but needed, I found out later, is the normal tube connector from the click pen kit.

Next is to fit the clickmech in the tube. I crimped the end of the tube slightly to stop the mech pulling out. The normal button is cut short and a piece of aluminium was used to make a bush to fit the next tube.

Next is to fit the next tube over the first. This must be a slip fit on the first tube and a press fit on the aluminium. It will be cut much shorter.

Now I temp fit the kit nib and refill to check it still works.

You could of course stop there and build the standard pen, but I wanted a stainless nib. This is where I remembered that to change the refill on the kit, you simply unscrewed the nib. But my nib was going to be press fitted or glued.

Adding the normal coupler from a standard click pen was a simple case of cutting the tube and pressing it in. Of course the part that form the cb was just turned flush with the tube. In the next pic you can see that the outer tube has been shortened.

Nearly forgot to post this pic. Here you can see the smallest tube that acts as a spacer to stop the click mech from being pushed in. This was just cut shorter once the connector was installed.

As the plunger button spins freely and will be used to hold the body, I had to make a lock so that I could unscrew the coupler. I simply used a piece of tube with a 'v' on it and put a corresponding 'notch' on the plunger button end.

Getting the 'v' piece in the correct place is achieved by holding it in place with tape till it works, then fix it with CA

Here I check it all still works perfectly. The mech must operate irrispective of where the button is. The 'v' will engage when the button is fully pressed to take all the spring slack and then rotated to unlock.

Next is to taper the nib, but first the one end should be polished. DAMHIKT[:I] I don't have a pic of drilling the holes in the nib, but here you can see the big one that the blank will plunge into. This one is 11.5mm dia. The outside diameter of the nib is 13mm. The hole is about 15mm deep.

All that is left to do is shape the nib to you desired shape and cut the blank to suite.

This is what I came up with. I dislike the glitter blank and am going to change it to one of PR Princess' cool blanks real soon!!!!:D

Hope someone finds this useful:D

Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 131

Great tutorial Steve, I am sure you will see a few closed end click pens appearing in the forum shortly!
Thanks for sharing.:D
Old 12-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 44

I second Marks comments! Very easy to follow!:D:D
Old 12-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Neat job Steve.[8D]
As usual, you have astounded us all again.:D
Old 01-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I'm just not that smart, I just got the old "deer in the headlights" look going on here. Nice job.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Way to push the envelope. I'd like to see this as a tutorial in the library so I can go back to it later when I get anywhere near that good.

"In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these."
- Paul Harvey
rhahnfl is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by hunter-27

I'm just not that smart, I just got the old "deer in the headlights" look going on here. Nice job.
Hunter, I'm right there with you. I was OK until the notch part, then my eyes glazed. Hmmmmm - glazed... donuts are glazed... a donut would be nice...

Chris

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 233

SUPER! OUTSTANDING ! And as always AWESOME !

Perry

Perry Bridges
Buchanan,Georgia
www.perryspens.com
papaturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top